Recommendations, comments or questions about wine matters

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Warning - wine sales fraud

Post by Kate » Thu 09 Apr 2009 16:25

Attention : fraude aux acheteurs de vins anglais

Il apparaît que plusieurs vignerons du département de l'Aude ont été approchés par des personnes se faisant passer pour des acheteurs de vins au nom de societés britanniques existantes.

Les personnes incriminées se font appeler :
- Peter Rubell, et se fait passer pour un acheteur de la societé Berry Bros & Rudd de Londres
- Eric Thorman, de Thorman Hunt
- David Harris, de Wine and Beer World.

Mais ces personnes ne travaillent pas pour ces societés et sont inconnues de ces dernières. Lorsque les vignerons français livrent et facturent à ces entreprises britanniques, il s’avère qu’elles n’ont rien commandé.

In brief, some British 'gentlemen' have been passing themselves off as wine buyers for the companies mentioned above. When French vignerons have delivered and billed these firms, they have discovered that the above named do not work for them, and the firms claim to have put in no such orders.

Cellier Trouillas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cellier Trouillas » Thu 09 Apr 2009 17:04

Thanks very much, Kate. Have notified all concerned.
Karen Jones
Cellier Trouillas

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Thu 09 Apr 2009 18:37

Fraud, so much of it goes on in the wine industry that it is unbelievable. What people do to get a bottle of wine or pallet or two....

Last year I received an email from Mr Eric Thorman. I was so impressed that Thorman Hunt (a highly respected wine agent) would actually ask ME for samples I became suspicious instantly. Reading the email again I realised he had only supplied a Mobile phone number which is a bit of a give away. Oh and the email was in french! Dahhhh - obviously he didn't know me well enough to write the email in english. I forwarded the email to Thorman Hunt who then contacted the police but obviously he is still out there....

If you do get any you can contact:
paul.cheadle@met.police.uk

More details on scams: http://jimsloire.blogspot.com/search/la ... %20Thorman

We've also had some extremely big bookings with private drivers, fancy cars, requiring us to find 5* accomodation etc and supply all the wine etc etc .... and how they are going to send a cheque in the mail but need us to give the driver cash!
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29

Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O » Thu 09 Apr 2009 19:01

Sounds as if they all went to school in Lagos (Nigeria, not Portugal!)

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Thu 09 Apr 2009 21:41

There are also a number of Brits in France who claim to represent UK importers and ask for free samples. One of them is a member of The Languedoc Forum.

What depths people will drop to for free wine. Don't let me catch any of our members up to those tricks. I may inform the CRAV :evil:

Karen, are you coming to VinArt? Remind me to talk to you about Muscat de Rivesaltes.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29

mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh » Thu 09 Apr 2009 22:00

Santiago wrote:There are also a number of Brits in France who claim to represent UK importers and ask for free samples. One of them is a member of The Languedoc Forum.
Please confirm that it is not me !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com

polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy » Thu 09 Apr 2009 22:05

it's not you!

you seem like a nice man, a very nice man.

Serge

Post by Serge » Thu 09 Apr 2009 22:12

Have you met him Pol?

Could be dodgy, sounds like he has 'fled' a lot of countries to me.. :wink:

Cellier Trouillas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cellier Trouillas » Thu 09 Apr 2009 22:17

Santiago wrote:
Karen, are you coming to VinArt? Remind me to talk to you about Muscat de Rivesaltes.
Hi Jon - I was hoping to come in my lunch break on Saturday but then discovered that Vin Art is on Sunday and Monday. Unfortunately, I will be at my parents in Spain then, so, no, I won't be coming.

You can pop by and chat to me about MdR when you like - I'm there Weds - Sat at the moment. Come and see the new range from the Union, anyway.

Hope all going well?
Karen Jones
Cellier Trouillas

Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve » Thu 09 Apr 2009 23:03

Santiago wrote: Don't let me catch any of our members up to those tricks. I may inform the CRAV :evil:
...no way Jon we all know how hard you Vignerons work for a living.

Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose » Fri 10 Apr 2009 00:15

I have recieved the same e-mails as Jonathan from people asking to rent our houses.