Urging vintners to put a cork in it
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7623912.stm
"It's not just a tree we are trying to protect here. It is a whole environment"

dazzert66
Rank 0
Rank 0

cork oaks

Post by dazzert66 » Fri 19 Sep 2008 18:43

Near to where i live in Ceret a couple of familys have cleared some land and cut down hundreds of cork oaks to install caravans and set up a sort of scrap yard,I'm sure this must must be illegal,I also noticed a similar thing happening in Argeles behind Camping Canigou but this time it was UK registered cars and tarmac trucks.

PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog » Fri 19 Sep 2008 21:50

Gippo's are everywhere !!!!!
Michael

vieux hibou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vieux hibou » Fri 19 Sep 2008 22:01

PaddyFrog wrote:Gippo's are everywhere !!!!!
Careful please, that is racist terminology.
Forum Moderator

PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog » Sat 20 Sep 2008 16:29

vieux hibou wrote:
PaddyFrog wrote:Gippo's are everywhere !!!!!
Careful please, that is racist terminology.

Colin by definition they are not a sole race, There are Irish/ Romanian/ Indian/ and numerous others sects! thus one cannot be accused of making racist comments against multiple nationalities.

The only ones I have ever met were White Anglo or of Mediterranean appearance.

Both which are Caucasions.

And me as a fellow Caucasian, I would be unable to make racist comments against a person of my own race.

Anthrapologists now days in many studies say that Indians are actually darker Caucasians.

Kashmir Indians for example have blonde hair and blue eyes

If this is proved to be true another piece of the Artillery of the PC brigade disappears.

Another point is that AD is a French based Web site, therefore surely definitions of Racism must be based on that country's Penal Code.

This is just my opinion of course.
Michael

Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O » Sat 20 Sep 2008 17:53

Well, by the "official" term used in France "Gens de Voyage" they could be defined loosely as a sort of "multiracial ethnic group", dedicated to "a certain way of life" - e.g. like various religious groupings throughout the world, though without the "religious conviction" tag. That has nothing to do with racial characteristics any more than the term "Hippies", though "gippo" would be normally understood, in common parlance, as a derogatory term, on the same level as would "petty thieves", "layabouts", "yobbos", "good for nothings", or even "wogs", "frogs", "krauts", "Pollacks", etc. which are definitely "racially prejudicial - as in "all **** are****"!

Throughout history - and prehistory - such groups have existed from "hunter gatherers" right up to Bushmen, Masai, Aborigenes, etc.. whose chosen way of life, just because different to that of the average "modern sedentary human (consumer)" does not justify consideration by "us" as in any way "inferior". They are just as human as any other members of our worldwide race, stemming from the same ancestors, loving, hating, dreaming like us and with the same inate capacity for thought and intelligence.

Phew!!!

vieux hibou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vieux hibou » Sat 20 Sep 2008 19:00

This is a specious argument, Michael. Gippo is a derogatory term directed towards an identifiable group of people and is unacceptable whether you want to call it racist or something else. No place for it in the forum.
Forum Moderator

PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog » Sat 20 Sep 2008 19:34

Roger,
The Gens de Voyage as most people know them are a group of people who travel in a nomadic way, like the Roma's, always moving on.

Where as the recent phenomena of Evangelically Gens de Voyage who are led by a pastor camp with a group of hundred for a few days spreading Gods word and move on to hold another prayer meeting.

The Préfets would say they are the same and covered by loi n°2000-614 du 5 juillet 2000, but the religious groups disagree and say the are on a pilgrimage.

We then have our own "Gitans" but are still considered "Roma" even though they live in houses.

All are in law ethnic groupings NOT RACIAL therefore you may be able to make bigoted comments, Ethnic comment all which if proved are punishable under the relevant penal codes.

Christians/ Jews /Moslem's are all religious groups with numerous Races within each group.

You can be anti-Semitic, anti - Christian, Anti- Moslem but once again comments made against the group are not Racial.
Michael

vieux hibou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vieux hibou » Sat 20 Sep 2008 19:38

As our youngsters would say with a shrug, "Whatever".

Just don't use expressions like that on the forum, please.
Forum Moderator

polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy » Sat 20 Sep 2008 19:59

well defended, paddy.
are you a mick?

Chantal
Rank 2
Rank 2

Save the cork oaks

Post by Chantal » Sat 20 Sep 2008 21:46

My direct experience of gipsies in France, Poland, Czech Republic and the UK is that (in any order):

a) they stole a large wad of notes foreign and local from a previous boyfriend, after a very carefully orchestrated scenario
b) they stole from me whilst boarding a tram (again, a very orchestrated scenario)
c) upon renting a flat that had just previously been rented by gipsies, the landlord told me and showed me the damage they caused to the structure.
d) one guy I caught with his hand in my handbag, whilst he friend asked me to tell him the price of an item in a supermarket (again orchestrated scenario)
e) one guy approaching to proceed with getting hold of a friend's purse in her bag in a department store (by then, I had become wise on their practices and was able to warn her)
f) observing gipsy women walk side by side with babies in their arms, happily chatting and laughing with each other. a curiosity then, since they usually look gloomy when begging. I followed them curious to see what they were up to - hmm... saw them soon sit down on the pavement of a busy street, children rocked in their arms, and suddenly... their faces had the 'mask' we have seen them with (no more laughter, but a sorrowful face, begging, etc.).
g) an electricity connection used illegally whilst caravans were parked illegally on a lawn in front of a block of flats.
h) playing the 'racist' card, complaining that they are not given all 'modcons' and TV set, yet being given council accommodation before families who had waited years.
i) observed them (from a distant office) closing in on passers-by
j) a Czech Council refusing to rent them flats because of the constant structural damage the families created (e.g. some wood taken off for burning)
k) a Czech town where police arranged some agreement with them so rife was the issue of theft (we do not pursue you as long as you somehow return the monies)
l) same town where these gipsies had set up their own 'theft' school [!] for their children.

Other situations concerned acquaintances having relating their experiences, and the local knowledge about some (a lot of.....) of these people.

Some of you will say, this exists everywhere with every type of people, etc.. Sure. Nevertheless, most of these people are systematic in their approach (I talk mainly of those we consider the 'typical gipsy'; when I lived in Eastern Europe, they were 'romany').

Yet, they are a fairly wealthy race, and not afraid of displaying gold galore on them (as seen in Poland/Czech Republic). of course, who would steal theirs, I wonder ?!

chantal
A fresh outlook on life! Une nouvelle vision de la vie! - www.ShantalOneSupport.com - +44 7909 330446

DaveM
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DaveM » Sat 20 Sep 2008 22:42

polremy said: well defended, paddy.
are you a mick?
More a pratie-hugging bog-trotter, I'd say.
Before you censor me, VH, my da was a bog-trotter too. From Knock, Co Mayo.
May YOUR god go with you. (Dave Allen)
DaveM

Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy » Sun 21 Sep 2008 09:14

My dad is also a bog trotter then. He is from Kilkelly Co Mayo.
Lovely place.

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Sun 21 Sep 2008 09:55

How did we get from Cork Oak to racial/cultural criticism?

Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O » Sun 21 Sep 2008 10:13

Santiago wrote:How did we get from Cork Oak to racial/cultural criticism?
By courtesy of
Who else?
(Coffee time again!)

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas » Sun 21 Sep 2008 15:13

And there was I thinking Cork and Paddys were something to do with Ireland :wink:

OK I`ll get my coat!