Sangria recipe

Recommendations, comments or questions about wine matters

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Sangria recipe

Post by Kate » Sat 28 Jun 2008 11:49

Does anyone have a tried and tested sangria recipe (basic and simple I think please) it is for P-O Life, a I have had a couple of mails recently asking for a good recipe, but there are som many on the internet - which to chose?

Or maybe somebody would like to experiment with this one which somebody sent me and tell me what it's like/what to add as those of you who know me will know that i dont drink red wine!!:clown: :wink:

•1 bottle of dry red wine
•Juice of 1 large orange and another in slices
•Juice of 1 large lemon and onother in slices
•2 Tbsp sugar
•1 Shot brandy
•2 Cups ginger ale or soda water

Combine all the ingredients except for the ginger ale or soda in a large punch bowl or serving pitcher, mixing well. Chill overnight. Add ginger ale or soda water just before serving.

Addition ideas: sliced strawberries, peaches, handful of fresh blueberries, raspberries, kiwi, a shot or two of gin, brandy or rum, a cup of ginger ale, citrus soda pop or lime juice.

Any comments welcome (hic)
Last edited by Kate on Sat 28 Jun 2008 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Sat 28 Jun 2008 12:01

1 bottle cheap soft red wine
1/2 litre of lemonade
1 orange sliced
A few slices of lemon
A glass of fruit juice of your choice
Ice
Some friends and some sunshine.

Add more wine and/or spirits (brandy or vodka) to bump up the alcohol if required.

PS : Choose a container that is going to hold it all before you start :lol:

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john » Sat 28 Jun 2008 12:50

I'd agree with most of the above. To my taste, the French (and some Spanish) make their sangria too sweet. So if you've not got that sweet a tooth,instead of lemonade,you can use bitter lemon (or "Gini"),and knock the sugar on the head.

Also,as Santiago says, you can "bump the alcohol up". Thus,one trick a Spaniard once showed me,to give it a bit more of an aromatic fruity taste is to add Cointreau (or much cheaper Triple Sec from La Jonquera!)

As Kate says you're best mixing the basic cocktail up the night before,chilling it well,and then add the fizz/ice etc when ready to be slurped!

Rivesaltes Johnny
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rivesaltes Johnny » Sat 28 Jun 2008 15:50

I would agree with all of the above... on the Island of Tenerife they add the local Banana liquer so would agree the addition of more alcohol be it cognac or whatever is a must... it is best when it delivers a bit of a kick. The addition of fresh sliced fruit also goes some way to softening the effect as it like eating a meal with it!!! :lol: