Recommendations, comments or questions about wine matters

Moderator: Moderators

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Renaissance

Post by Santiago » Thu 10 Apr 2008 14:00

Copied from The Times

British wine drinkers, tired of “identikit new-world bottles” have rekindled their enthusiasm for French wines, claims Joanna Simon, with French wine imports rising by 4% in 2007. Not only has quality improved, but the French are finally starting to get their act together on the marketing front, something they used to dismiss - to their cost.

groslard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groslard » Thu 10 Apr 2008 15:13

But not the stupid Sud de France campaign of megalo Frêche..

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Thu 10 Apr 2008 19:44

Well I thought that at first. Oh no not another layer of branding which is meaningless to consumers.

But on reflection, perhaps a benefit od Sud de France is that is may encourage pooling of resources to do real promotion of the wines of the south.

I had a meeting today with the person who runs Tourism et Terroir, the body which promotes the products of the Roussillon terroir in conjunction with the departmental tourist board. She is faced with many political problems. One which astounded me was that the Perpignan tourist offices are not run by the PO tourist board but by the commune of Perpigan, and they don't like promoting tourist activities outside the commune. To me this seems ridiculous as Perpigan is the hub for the whole region.

More on this in another thread...

Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O » Thu 10 Apr 2008 20:39

Doesn't surprise me one bit!
Probably they are also responsible for the airport and its dynamic approach to attracting tourists by flights from all over Europe...
that would explain a lot of things which puzzled me before we moved!!

By the way, there is a project in Carcassonne to inaugurate fights to/from Stuttgart.. one step nearer to Basel and Zurich (hem..) The Germans like French wine too - if they can get here to drink it!

rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg » Thu 10 Apr 2008 21:27

Don't get me started.
Compare Carcassonne to Perpignan and you will see how easy it is to do business in a department where a little foreward thinking is encouraged and not amputated at birth just because it has never been done before!
Carcassonne airport : going from strength to strength .. did anyone read the latest figs in La semaine last week : Perpignan's traffic down by a whopping 35% over the last 5 years!!! And tbh, people on holidays want to come to Perps over Carc ( closer to sea, ski etc etc etc) but Carc ploughs on ahead, moving with the times.
We have met both the Perpignan airport director and the Carc director of opertions in the past fortnight. Do you know they employ someone in Perp airport to take down advertising material as NOONE is allowed advertise in the airport ( apart from immo mags and PO life and 66)
Whereas in Carc, no probs, you pay an annual fee and everyone wins!
No-one seems to have "real" authority here in this department - the prefecture is afraid to fart without asking permission of someone else - the chamber of commerce or the minister of justice....
Argghhhhhhhhhh!

PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog » Thu 10 Apr 2008 22:42

The attributes of PGF,

These have been "BRAYED over many times.

The Dragons are actively seeking the League's Permission to play over the border, to allow the Fans easy Transport.
Michael