Bottles

Recommendations, comments or questions about wine matters

Moderator: Moderators

Outie

Bottles

Post by Outie » Tue 25 Mar 2008 15:15

Take care not to put the wrong wine in the wrong sized bottle or the EU job,s worth will be on the case.........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... tle125.xml

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Tue 25 Mar 2008 22:39

The issue is really over exactly what he is producing.

PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog » Wed 26 Mar 2008 01:00

Surely even if he is producing Hedgehog juice in a certain size of bottle, why should he have to standardise.

His bottles are 13.2 fl oz, he is hardly a mass producer.
But no doubt when it is investigated it will be the same type civil servants in Ag and Fish, who cross the t's and dot the i's but pay Millions in compensation to Producers who bring infected Poultry into the UK and are never prosecuted
Its a Bootiful life.
Michael

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Wed 26 Mar 2008 08:00

Actually I'd say he is a big producer. 400,000 bottles a year is a fair amount. I think, and I haven't checked, that the issue is that his product (fruit based liquor) is normally sold in 35cl bottles. If it wasn't standardised, wine and other alcoholic drink producers could use any size bottle they liked and it wouldn't be long before you had certain wines in 70cl bottles, rather than 75cl. You would not spot the difference unless you read the small print, but they would be making an extra 5-6% profit.

For this guy it's the other way around, but it does make some sense to standardise the size/amount by which products are sold. That is why a baguette has to weigh a certain amount for example.

Perhaps he could get away with it if he keeps the same bottles and puts a big 7% free sticker on the bottle :)

Also, the UK govt is planning on making all alcoholic drinks have a label stating exactly how many UK uniots of alcohol are in the bottle and the poor old WSA inspectors would have a harder job checking the figures if they are not standard size bottles.

Outie

Post by Outie » Wed 26 Mar 2008 11:30

Santiago wrote:Actually I'd say he is a big producer. 400,000 bottles a year is a fair amount. I think, and I haven't checked, that the issue is that his product (fruit based liquor) is normally sold in 35cl bottles. If it wasn't standardised, wine and other alcoholic drink producers could use any size bottle they liked and it wouldn't be long before you had certain wines in 70cl bottles, rather than 75cl. You would not spot the difference unless you read the small print, but they would be making an extra 5-6% profit.

For this guy it's the other way around, but it does make some sense to standardise the size/amount by which products are sold. That is why a baguette has to weigh a certain amount for example.

Perhaps he could get away with it if he keeps the same bottles and puts a big 7% free sticker on the bottle :)

Also, the UK govt is planning on making all alcoholic drinks have a label stating exactly how many UK uniots of alcohol are in the bottle and the poor old WSA inspectors would have a harder job checking the figures if they are not standard size bottles.

If I`m not mistaken Jura "straw"wine are in 60cl bottles,only place in france to have them.

PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog » Wed 26 Mar 2008 11:41

Santiago wrote:
Baguette do not have to weigh a certain amount they are sold by weight, which is different, that is why they are so varied in size, they have been sold that way since the Revolution.

The percentage of UK units in a bottle has no relation to the size.
therefore if Mr Hedgehog continued to use his 13.2 fl oz bottles, and the Hedgehog Juice was 12% that would give him 4.5 units of Alcohol, give or take a spike.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john » Wed 26 Mar 2008 12:43

Don't really folllow the logic of that PF. Of course the number of units of alcohol is affected the size of bottle. A bottle 12.5 ABV wine has twice the units as half a bottle. Also true of standard strength spirits.Where it can be tricky is with beer,where bitter is usually 3-4% ABV,and super strength lager etc is often 10%.

Also,my understanding is that a baguette in France MUST weigh 250g and be advertised as such on a notice in the boulangerie. What I'm not clear about is is that 250g the weight of the uncooked dough,or the actual baked loaf?

vieux hibou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vieux hibou » Thu 27 Mar 2008 00:52

I have transferred a number of postings about Bernard Matthews and infected birds to a new thread Talking Turkey in Anything about Anything
Forum Moderator