Spring-cleaning the room.

Recommendations, comments or questions about wine matters

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue 02 Jan 2018 17:41

Spring-cleaning the room.

Post by TonyGoodman » Sun 25 Mar 2018 13:00

There seems to be a few older threads on the site with questionably relevancy. I'm very much a social media novice however is it general practice to retain everything or should we conduct a keep or cull review to keep the room fresh and current? Get it slimmed down and beach ready. The latter makes more sense to me.

Perhaps set a cutoff date of say 1 Jan 2016. Authors of older posts can of course re-post older threads however only if they can demonstrate currency.

Comments?

Tony

User avatar
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1287
Joined: Tue 27 Dec 2005 12:19
Contact:

Post by Santiago » Sun 25 Mar 2018 16:51

I set up this topic group many years ago and have contributed quite a lot of information and answered many questions. Yes, some of the threads are out of date or irrelevant but it would be better to read through them first before culling them just to make way for the new order. They take up no data space anyway. You might learn something 8)
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue 02 Jan 2018 17:41

Post by TonyGoodman » Sun 25 Mar 2018 17:56

Santiago wrote:I set up this topic group many years ago and have contributed quite a lot of information and answered many questions. Yes, some of the threads are out of date or irrelevant but it would be better to read through them first before culling them just to make way for the new order. They take up no data space anyway. You might learn something 8)

Thanks for the back ground, I've looked at most. Some are useful however after 10 years or more I query whether they need to be refreshed. Others are little more than personal conversations.

The driver is the surprising number of hits the wine forum gets yet only a handful linger and contribute. Its not about space, its ease of use i query. A simpler structure may produce more interaction. Creating an archive is an alternative to a cull for say anything over two years however that will just become a dumping ground. Another approach would be to create a further set of appropriately labelled sub-indexes including an index of instructive and informative videos. The final goal I suggest is to have an initial index of one or at the most two pages.

Looking at the current material perhaps you could look at your past contributions and freshen them up as a first step? For example the initial quite useful explanation is ten years old, is it an accurate description of the current state of affairs?

rainbow
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon 13 Apr 2015 18:02
Contact:

Cut off date Yes

Post by rainbow » Sun 25 Mar 2018 18:59

I agree with Tony threads are past there sell buy dates granted some good information however they become tapestries
Best Wishes

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2009 21:21
Contact:

Post by Allan » Sun 25 Mar 2018 19:40

I hate to see threads removed, I love to look back on earlier posts and I don’t really see what is to be gained.

In terms of disk space is concerned the data storage requirement for the entire forum will be trivial and less than that on a basic mobile phone.

A cull of data would be based on the opinion of the person doing it and may not suit the needs of everyone else.

Other than satisfying someone’s need for neatness then I see only disadvantages.

I have all the emails I have sent and received over the last 25 years. I know that there are lots that are no longer required but it isn’t worth the effort of finding them.

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue 02 Jan 2018 17:41

Post by TonyGoodman » Sun 25 Mar 2018 20:18

Allan wrote:I hate to see threads removed, I love to look back on earlier posts and I don’t really see what is to be gained.

In terms of disk space is concerned the data storage requirement for the entire forum will be trivial and less than that on a basic mobile phone.

A cull of data would be based on the opinion of the person doing it and may not suit the needs of everyone else.

Other than satisfying someone’s need for neatness then I see only disadvantages.

I have all the emails I have sent and received over the last 25 years. I know that there are lots that are no longer required but it isn’t worth the effort of finding them.

Managing databases is always about finding a balance as any IT dept will tell you. While size is important in this instance my query is all about navigation which I suppose is about neatness. I'm wondering whether the current structure is dissuading others to get involved in the various discussions. Apparently the page gets an extraordinary number of hits yet only a tiny percentage linger and chat.

If a cull or archiving is a bit extreme we could consider creating a master index which groups related discussions. Reds, Whites, Coming events calendar, Videos, Brickbats and bouquets etc. What about rewarding regular contributors with their own space, a specific space for terminology, Maps, links to agreed websites. Subject to approval by the top floor I assume we could create any categories we wish.

User avatar
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue 20 Dec 2005 20:08
Contact:

Post by Helen » Sun 25 Mar 2018 20:22

Having worked in digital media for a few years, the buzz words were always 'long tail' - i.e. google search drives traffic. The more content out there, the better for traffic.

Deleting threads is anathema to me, unless there are legal or other reasons to remove.

Each thread is clearly dated, so hopefully users can apply a degree of context to whatever they're reading.

User avatar
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1287
Joined: Tue 27 Dec 2005 12:19
Contact:

Post by Santiago » Sun 25 Mar 2018 20:35

TonyGoodman wrote:
Santiago wrote:I set up this topic group many years ago and have contributed quite a lot of information and answered many questions. Yes, some of the threads are out of date or irrelevant but it would be better to read through them first before culling them just to make way for the new order. They take up no data space anyway. You might learn something 8)

Thanks for the back ground, I've looked at most. Some are useful however after 10 years or more I query whether they need to be refreshed. Others are little more than personal conversations.

The driver is the surprising number of hits the wine forum gets yet only a handful linger and contribute. Its not about space, its ease of use i query. A simpler structure may produce more interaction. Creating an archive is an alternative to a cull for say anything over two years however that will just become a dumping ground. Another approach would be to create a further set of appropriately labelled sub-indexes including an index of instructive and informative videos. The final goal I suggest is to have an initial index of one or at the most two pages.

Looking at the current material perhaps you could look at your past contributions and freshen them up as a first step? For example the initial quite useful explanation is ten years old, is it an accurate description of the current state of affairs?
You're the new king of the hill so if you want to freshen up the old threads, be my guest. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2009 21:21
Contact:

Post by Allan » Sun 25 Mar 2018 20:47

TonyGoodman wrote: If a cull or archiving is a bit extreme we could consider creating a master index which groups related discussions. Reds, Whites, Coming events calendar, Videos, Brickbats and bouquets etc. What about rewarding regular contributors with their own space, a specific space for terminology, Maps, links to agreed websites. Subject to approval by the top floor I assume we could create any categories we wish.
I think you are seeing a problem that doesn’t exist.

You should also bear in mind that the forum is based on free open source software that is prehistoric in IT terms. It is not maintained by IT specialists and has little scope for structural changes.

Kate went to a lot of trouble a couple of years ago to develop a new PO life website, if you want a multimedia wine section then I suggest that you speak to her.

I realise that you have a passion for local wines but there are plenty of wine websites and I worry that your suggested changes might be a bit self-indulgent.

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue 02 Jan 2018 17:41

Post by TonyGoodman » Sun 25 Mar 2018 22:49

Allan wrote:
TonyGoodman wrote: If a cull or archiving is a bit extreme we could consider creating a master index which groups related discussions. Reds, Whites, Coming events calendar, Videos, Brickbats and bouquets etc. What about rewarding regular contributors with their own space, a specific space for terminology, Maps, links to agreed websites. Subject to approval by the top floor I assume we could create any categories we wish.
I think you are seeing a problem that doesn’t exist.

You should also bear in mind that the forum is based on free open source software that is prehistoric in IT terms. It is not maintained by IT specialists and has little scope for structural changes.

Kate went to a lot of trouble a couple of years ago to develop a new PO life website, if you want a multimedia wine section then I suggest that you speak to her.

I realise that you have a passion for local wines but there are plenty of wine websites and I worry that your suggested changes might be a bit self-indulgent.

Of course if there are tech constraints or no general appetite then that answers the question. I certainly don't want to burden Kate with any more tasks, We can leave it and move on. The query only arose when I was looking for information on sending a few bottles o/s and I seem to recall a similar query quite some time ago. I found searching through older threads a bit cumbersome.

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue 02 Jan 2018 17:41

Post by TonyGoodman » Sun 25 Mar 2018 22:54

Helen wrote:Having worked in digital media for a few years, the buzz words were always 'long tail' - i.e. google search drives traffic. The more content out there, the better for traffic.

Deleting threads is anathema to me, unless there are legal or other reasons to remove.

Each thread is clearly dated, so hopefully users can apply a degree of context to whatever they're reading.

Thanks, valuable advice. Its an aspect I'd not considered

It may be a moot point as there seems little appetite to make changes however what's your thoughts on revamping the index?

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue 02 Jan 2018 17:41

Post by TonyGoodman » Sun 25 Mar 2018 22:56

Santiago wrote:
TonyGoodman wrote:
Santiago wrote:I set up this topic group many years ago and have contributed quite a lot of information and answered many questions. Yes, some of the threads are out of date or irrelevant but it would be better to read through them first before culling them just to make way for the new order. They take up no data space anyway. You might learn something 8)

Thanks for the back ground, I've looked at most. Some are useful however after 10 years or more I query whether they need to be refreshed. Others are little more than personal conversations.

The driver is the surprising number of hits the wine forum gets yet only a handful linger and contribute. Its not about space, its ease of use i query. A simpler structure may produce more interaction. Creating an archive is an alternative to a cull for say anything over two years however that will just become a dumping ground. Another approach would be to create a further set of appropriately labelled sub-indexes including an index of instructive and informative videos. The final goal I suggest is to have an initial index of one or at the most two pages.

Looking at the current material perhaps you could look at your past contributions and freshen them up as a first step? For example the initial quite useful explanation is ten years old, is it an accurate description of the current state of affairs?
You're the new king of the hill so if you want to freshen up the old threads, be my guest. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.


Thanks though kings tend to eventually lose heads, I'm more consensus focused. Even contrary views can contain nuggets of value.

My personal driver is the forum has been incredibly useful so I should put something back and pay something forward. Its as simple as that.

User avatar
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat 07 Mar 2015 05:45
Contact:

Post by Gus Morris » Mon 26 Mar 2018 08:10

TonyGoodman wrote:
The driver is the surprising number of hits the wine forum gets yet only a handful linger and contribute.
Did I miss something? Has AD become a wine forum?

Gus

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue 02 Jan 2018 17:41

Post by TonyGoodman » Mon 26 Mar 2018 09:08

Gus Morris wrote:
TonyGoodman wrote:
The driver is the surprising number of hits the wine forum gets yet only a handful linger and contribute.
Did I miss something? Has AD become a wine forum?

Gus

Its more about enticing those who just pass through to leave their thoughts and post information. However the general feeling is to maintain the status quo on a cost/benefit grounds which makes sense.

Post Reply