Why no PO fizz?

Recommendations, comments or questions about wine matters

Moderator: Moderators

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Why no PO fizz?

Post by TonyGoodman » Sat 24 Mar 2018 14:27

Limoux produces decent bulles, ditto our southern neighbours yet there seems to be no local product within say 30 mins drive of perpignan. Happy to be corrected however if this is correct is it just tradition or are there technical reasons non is produced?

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Why no PO fizz?

Post by Allan » Sat 24 Mar 2018 14:53

TonyGoodman wrote:Limoux produces decent bulles, ditto our southern neighbours yet there seems to be no local product within say 30 mins drive of perpignan. Happy to be corrected however if this is correct is it just tradition or are there technical reasons non is produced?

Arnaud de Villeneuve
http://arnauddevilleneuve.com/13-nos-pr ... étillants

Nayandei also do fizzy wines but they are artificially carbonated

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Why no PO fizz?

Post by TonyGoodman » Sat 24 Mar 2018 16:26

Allan wrote:
TonyGoodman wrote:Limoux produces decent bulles, ditto our southern neighbours yet there seems to be no local product within say 30 mins drive of perpignan. Happy to be corrected however if this is correct is it just tradition or are there technical reasons none is produced?

Arnaud de Villeneuve
http://arnauddevilleneuve.com/13-nos-pr ... étillants

Nayandei also do fizzy wines but they are artificially carbonated
Agh its called Vin Petillant as in l'eau petillant/soda water. I was searching using cremant/blanquette.

AdV are a very good operation and the price seems reasonable. I'll make a point of securing a few bottles for when the family are here.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Tony

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Mon 26 Mar 2018 07:30

The climate doesn’t lend itself to growing grapes required to make decent Sparkling. So there is no tradition of it here. You could always try a local.PetNat from a Natural producer but I doubt it would be to your taste. They can be a bit odd. More cidre than wine.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TonyGoodman » Mon 26 Mar 2018 09:17

Santiago wrote:The climate doesn’t lend itself to growing grapes required to make decent Sparkling. So there is no tradition of it here. You could always try a local.PetNat from a Natural producer but I doubt it would be to your taste. They can be a bit odd. More cidre than wine.
Thanks for the explanation.

jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jethro » Mon 26 Mar 2018 11:27

Two years ago, I won a bottle of fizzy white produced in St. Genis des Fontaines. It was quite nice. Maybe the co-op at SGDF could help you. They also sell off their old oak wine barrels after three years, if that interests anyone. Sawn in half and charred on the inside, they make nice planters.
an' the wun' cried Mary.

jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jethro » Mon 26 Mar 2018 21:35

An addendum to my post about St. Genis fizz. I was at the coop today, and the mousseux is called "Génis d'Or". A winegrower who happened to be in the room said that they're going to produce a "blanc pétillant" in the summer. I didn't know until today that there was a distinction between "mousseux" and "pétillant". So much for my level of expertise.
an' the wun' cried Mary.

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan » Mon 26 Mar 2018 21:43

jethro wrote:An addendum to my post about St. Genis fizz. I was at the coop today, and the mousseux is called "Génis d'Or". A winegrower who happened to be in the room said that they're going to produce a "blanc pétillant" in the summer. I didn't know until today that there was a distinction between "mousseux" and "pétillant". So much for my level of expertise.
It is to do with the pressure of CO2 in the bottle. Mousseux is higher.

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TonyGoodman » Mon 26 Mar 2018 21:44

jethro wrote:An addendum to my post about St. Genis fizz. I was at the coop today, and the mousseux is called "Génis d'Or". A winegrower who happened to be in the room said that they're going to produce a "blanc pétillant" in the summer. I didn't know until today that there was a distinction between "mousseux" and "pétillant". So much for my level of expertise.
OK thanks, sounds like I need to make a visit.