BIO Dynamic Wines

Recommendations, comments or questions about wine matters

Moderator: Moderators

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TonyGoodman » Mon 26 Mar 2018 22:05

Allan wrote:[quote="TonyGoodman]However it was a collective we, as in if all consumers all ceased attending all fairs would that cause a re-alignment of costs to producers. I suspect not as the professional reviewers would pick up the slack. As you say producers seem to be happy passing over staggering amounts of money, which is included in the price consumers pay.

Bringing it back to a local level as I understand it Languedoc -Roussillon dramatically reduced the volume of raw grape juice produced. I wonder if there are any stats available on how that affected baseline incomes. It would also be interesting to get an idea of what the local industry returns to the people who actually make the stuff. the people we are interested in supporting. Putting that information in the public domain, even on a modest forum such as this may change peoples buying patterns, may make a difference. Maybe increase the percentage of cellar door sales especially for the smaller operators.
Tony, I am starting to worry that you are losing your grip on reality.

Firstly, businesses spend money on marketing to increase their sales and their profitability, they don’t intentionally spend it to use up surplus cash.

I, and I suspect many others, enjoy local wines because of a connection to them, I can visit them and understand the terroir. I have to say that I have no interest in increasing their sales or their profitability.

I wish success to any business that makes a good product but I think that analysing their spend/yield etc is bordering on the absurd.[/quote]

I suspect you're right, I automatically drop into SWOT mode when I arrive at the front gate. I need to learn to relax. Having said that it would be interesting to get an understanding of the local mathematics, run the numbers.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Mon 26 Mar 2018 22:30

TonyGoodman wrote:

I suspect you're right, I automatically drop into SWOT mode when I arrive at the front gate. I need to learn to relax. Having said that it would be interesting to get an understanding of the local mathematics, run the numbers.
I think you have just proved the point that Allan was trying to make in the kindest possible way.

I’m a great fan of Myers Briggs myself.

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TonyGoodman » Tue 27 Mar 2018 10:58

Santiago wrote:Tony, you seem to be walking in the footsteps of an old forum member who, if you had a browse through the posts you wanted to spring clean, you will see asking similar questions and getting into the same kind of debates. He went under the name of John.

I'm not sure why you are asking these in-depth questions about the business aims and plans of local wine producers on an English-speaking forum with a handful of active members.

The only person on here who is able to answer those questions is the one that you have gone out of your way to annoy.

I have fallen in love with this extraordinary area and would like to support local producers if I can. There is no intention to annoy anyone and to be frank that comment is rather unbecoming for someone with claims of being a leading local producer. Ditto the rather sad repetitive refrain that my sole motivation is to secure free wine while completely ignoring the substantial out of pocket expenses I've incurred. I suggest you review the post with a view to re-editing. Having now said that if I've caused you distress, triggered emotions please accept my deeply felt apologies. I don't wish to be seen as a bully.

Don't sell regular contributors short nor ignore the numbers who choose to respond via PM. Both groups possess extraordinary wisdom. The suggestion to revamp the Index was a specific attempt to tempt the latter to re-join the open discussion. Time will tell if they do.

The offer still stands to meet over a glass of local ale, perhaps Les halles next time you are in town? A Thursday afternoon around 4.30 would suit me best however anytime of your choosing. I admire your technical knowledge.

Regards

Tony

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate » Wed 28 Mar 2018 13:52

OK everyone. Playtime over. Back into class.

THREAD LOCKED AFTER LOTS OF DELETIONS.