Coops worth visiting?

Recommendations, comments or questions about wine matters

Moderator: Moderators

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Coops worth visiting?

Post by TonyGoodman » Sun 18 Feb 2018 11:18

I've been reviewing various coop wines for the next edition of PO Life and popping into a few as we explore the area. While I feel more comfortable with top shelf offerings from the bigger independents and bespoke winemakers taken into account price I've been pleasantly surprised with what I've found.

Certainly some are totally ruined by to much oak and TDN. Others are just too damn heavy, just slap you in the face. Some have you either reaching for the paracetamol and antihistamines or pouring it down the sink as soon as you pull the cork. However given the price, if you hunt around you can find some perfectly respectable wine.

Any suggestions? In particular I'd love to find a light weight BBQ red, most light reds seem only to be avail in a BinB or as a bulk wine.

Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc » Sun 18 Feb 2018 12:05

I'm going to regret sharing this with you, but here goes:

Visit Intermarche and search out a wine called Le Rouquet - from the Co-Op in Pic St Loup. It's light and by far the best cheap red I've found at only 4.43 euros a bottle. It must be popular because the space on the shelf (at Ceret) is often empty.

Interestingly I visited the Pic St Loup Co-Op a few years ago and showed them a photo of the item. They'd never seen it before and even called out the old girl from the offices who'd been there for years who'd never seen it either. They confirmed that it had their branding and logo so must have been a special order for Intermarche that never hit the Co-Op shop. Certainly it was much cheaper than the "proper" stuff they were selling there.

Even more interestingly (for me) I went to buy some last year and the identical bottle/label was in its usual place but it was Le Rouquet Montpeyroux. The same price but even tastier. The warehouse must have sent up the wrong batch.

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TonyGoodman » Mon 19 Feb 2018 09:21

Thanks for that, someone else mentioned that wine as well. I shall track it down.

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Tue 20 Feb 2018 13:21

I'd suggest the coops in Terrats and Baixas. Lesquerde make some smart wines too. Friends tell me l'Etoile in Banyuls is the best there but the Abbé Rous wines under the Cornet & Cie label are good. Saint-André make some good stuff too.

For your lighter red, have you tried Le Ninet from the cave at Cases de Pene?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell » Wed 21 Feb 2018 12:22

Les Vignerons de Maury does it for me. Their BiB of red is good for everyday drinking.

Russell

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TonyGoodman » Thu 22 Feb 2018 09:49

Santiago. Absolutely agree, we reviewed Abbe Rous in the last edition and they are very good. Some of the others your mentioned are actually in the next edition in particular AOC Les Aspres which wines are very good and fantastic value. Not tried the others as yet however I'll keep an eye out for them.

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TonyGoodman » Thu 22 Feb 2018 09:59

russell wrote:Les Vignerons de Maury does it for me. Their BiB of red is good for everyday drinking.

Russell

Interesting you should mention these, chatting to someone quite knowledgeable recently she suggested BinB being lighter are actually more attractive to red wine fans who struggle with the heavy weights.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Sun 25 Feb 2018 16:52

TonyGoodman wrote:
russell wrote:Les Vignerons de Maury does it for me. Their BiB of red is good for everyday drinking.

Russell

Interesting you should mention these, chatting to someone quite knowledgeable recently she suggested BinB being lighter are actually more attractive to red wine fans who struggle with the heavy weights.
It’s the “actuallyâ€￾ which struck me. Why would they not be attractive for young wines? I save my weightlifting for gas bottles. That said, I only buy a few litres of BiB Banyuls a year, poured into an old San Pellegrino bottle at the caviste. I keep a couple for the purpose. Mostly for cooking and “confit de Banyulsâ€￾ (aka Banyuls jelly). But not without the odd slug for the cook, à la Keith Floyd. And I give most of the confit away: it makes an acceptable (and wonderfully cheap) gift.

TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TonyGoodman » Fri 02 Mar 2018 21:55

martyn94 wrote:
TonyGoodman wrote:

Russell

It’s the “actuallyâ€￾ which struck me. Why would they not be attractive for young wines? I save my weightlifting for gas bottles. That said, I only buy a few litres of BiB Banyuls a year, poured into an old San Pellegrino bottle at the caviste. I keep a couple for the purpose. Mostly for cooking and “confit de Banyulsâ€￾ (aka Banyuls jelly). But not without the odd slug for the cook, à la Keith Floyd. And I give most of the confit away: it makes an acceptable (and wonderfully cheap) gift.
Are these bulk wines, fill your own containers? I've not had any since I ran with the bulls in Pamplona in the 70's, place called the mussel bar had filled the fountain in the small courtyard in the square outside with the local red. That's about all I recall. The reason I ask is I've been asked to review a range for a pal and maybe write a cheap and cheerful article. I'd appreciate advice whether this would be of interest to POLers. Not quite top shelf but if its of interest I'm up for it.

Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc » Fri 02 Mar 2018 22:32

Domaine Piquemal BIB is extensively used as house wine in the Ceret area. Very drinkable bit understandably no complexity. Available at Cellier des Arcades in Ceret in 5 and 10 litre boxes. For the price you won't be disappointed.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Fri 02 Mar 2018 23:54

TonyGoodman wrote:
martyn94 wrote:
TonyGoodman wrote:

Russell

Are these bulk wines, fill your own containers? I've not had any since I ran with the bulls in Pamplona in the 70's, place called the mussel bar had filled the fountain in the small courtyard in the square outside with the local red. That's about all I recall. The reason I ask is I've been asked to review a range for a pal and maybe write a cheap and cheerful article. I'd appreciate advice whether this would be of interest to POLers. Not quite top shelf but if its of interest I'm up for it.
The place that sells the industrial Banyuls I get has a range of barrels with taps, but in practice it seems to be drawn from a 5 (?) litre BiB. The supermarket I go to in La Jonquera has bulk wine (and empty 1 litre containers to put it in). I tried a sample of vermouth once and it was pretty foul. I guess they also have table wine, but I don’t think I’d bother. Co-ops used to have bulk wine that you could put into your “cubiâ€￾, but God knows whether that has survived into the age of BiB. I don’t think that Brexit has yet ruined me quite enough to want much research.

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Sat 03 Mar 2018 00:26

The wine that goes into the cubi and that in BiB is pretty much the same. Think of them both like sliced bread or tins of tomatoes.

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell » Sun 04 Mar 2018 11:02

It is often suggested that the wine that goes into a BiB is somehow inferior to that in bottles. However, the Maury I mentioned is not. The reds give you a choice of BiBs of "Vin du Pays", "Cotes du Roussillon", and "Maurynates - 100% Grenache", exactly the same wines that are sold in bottles.

Russell

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Sun 04 Mar 2018 12:09

russell wrote:It is often suggested that the wine that goes into a BiB is somehow inferior to that in bottles. However, the Maury I mentioned is not. The reds give you a choice of BiBs of "Vin du Pays", "Cotes du Roussillon", and "Maurynates - 100% Grenache", exactly the same wines that are sold in bottles.

Russell
Some producers may do that but for others, such as me, the reason we bottle the wine instead of selling it en vrac or in BIB is because we have made it in a way that it will improve over time in the bottle. Such wines are often unsuitable for early drinking.

This has created the false idea that any wine in a bottle is better than any wine in a BIB, which is clearly untrue.

Another anecdote for you.

I was in Leclerc LE Boulou a couple of summers ago watching these two English ladies of a certain age trying to decide which cheap wine they should buy for a party. They were loading loads of bottles of some dreadful Vin de Table into their trolley. I felt sorry for them and suggested they should buy a couple of local BiBs instead. They looked at me as if I had two heads and later overheard them saying "Imagine, serving our guests wine from a box!"

Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc » Sun 04 Mar 2018 12:22

BIB is becoming more popular in the UK:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40902321

My biggest gripe with BIBs is that I prefer variety in my wine drinking so it's a shame to drink the same stuff for days on end.

BIBs are however invaluable when my wife has her girlfriends to stay as they drink everything in sight, including the kettle descaler.

collioure
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Coops worth visiting?

Post by collioure » Wed 20 Mar 2019 20:58

Hello, I am American and very knowledgeable in French wine. I do not buy BinB's; I only drink from bottles.
I believe the best coops - and I note that I no longer buy from them - are Baixas, Terrats and Maury in that order.