Biodynamic Wines

Recommendations, comments or questions about wine matters

Moderator: Moderators

Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Biodynamic Wines

Post by Merisin » Fri 19 Jul 2013 07:37

A group of us had lunch together. One of the guests was a biodynamic vigneron. He talked enthusiastically, and endlessly, on this subject so obviously close to his heart.

The methods he proposes are a strange mix of common sense and all out mumbo jumbo. Some of it would not have looked out of place in a medieval text. He did not go so far as to suggest stirring his potions at the crossroads at midnight. But almost.

Very odd.

Mary

blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff » Fri 19 Jul 2013 10:29

Watch you tube Chateau Monty. You'll get an education about making wine in the local area.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.

Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin » Fri 19 Jul 2013 17:26

Well, I watched the video and was not impressed. He starts off rubbishing supermarket wines. And by inference anybody who buys their wine that way. People like me!

It all came across as a bit false and there was next to nothing on the actual techniques involved. Apart from the ornate looking donkey.

If anything it has reinforced my cynicism.

Mary S

blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff » Fri 19 Jul 2013 18:28

Actually, you need to view the whole episode of the series about Chateau Monty. I think that this was produced by the BBC. Again, I'm not saying that the series is about using Bio wines. It's just a poor series from the BBC.

But, since you spent some time listening about the Bio wines, your speaker probably found his source.

The only funny item in the series is that it's from our area.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell » Sat 20 Jul 2013 08:48

Merisin wrote:He starts off rubbishing supermarket wines.
This is just snobbery. I can walk to my local supermarket and buy wines from this region including those from the nearest producers or I can get in the car and drive to the producer. Which is most environmentally friendly?

Russell.

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Sun 21 Jul 2013 09:01

Two things.

The program was made for Channel 4 by the team that made the "Nippy & Nigel" housebuying saga. There are many untruths in it, including the main premise (the vineyard was rented for the program) and as Mary says, it doesn't really explain biodynamics, which would have been more interesting.

Supermarkets have their place. They are good for picking up everyday wines when you are doing your weekly shop. However, they don't represent the better wines of the region and they do sell a large amount of poor quality stuff. You have to really know your producers or be prepared to live with a lot of disappointments. The independent wine merchants have much more hand-picked selections with relatively few poor value wines. Of course it depends how much you appreciate wine but let's not confuse snobbery with taste.

One funny twist. Monty's wine was sold in the supermarket.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29