British consumers spending more on a bottle of wine

Recommendations, comments or questions about wine matters

Moderator: Moderators

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

British consumers spending more on a bottle of wine

Post by Santiago » Fri 27 Jul 2012 19:08

Interesting article from Andrew Jefford, one of the most eloquent of wine writers.

http://www.decanter.com/news/blogs/expe ... mind-games
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29

Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian » Fri 27 Jul 2012 20:52

I'm intrigued by the statistics. People in UK will know that supermarket prices are completely skewed by offers, And a large proportion of wine is bought in supermarkets. So when a wine supposedly priced at £9.99 is sold half price at £4.99. Does that fall into th £9-£10 a bottle category or the £4-£5 category.

Anyone with half a brain knows that the wine belongs in the £4-£5 category but you are led to believe you are getting a good deal.

I suspect, (but I may be wrong!), that the reason the £4-£5 category is flat is because people are carrying on as normal. The £9-£10 is racing forward because that is the pre offer price gathered for statistics - but no one has actually paid that price.

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Sat 28 Jul 2012 10:57

While I agree with what you say Ian, I think the stats are based on actual prices paid. I think, as Jefford suggests, that it is probably down to people eating in more than out but still wanting to treat themselves to something.

Spending £5 to get a much better bottle of wine for a nice meal is a significant saving on eating out at a mediocre restaurant for £40., especially when you consider that £20 spent on wine in most UK restos will get you a supermarket wine that costs £6 retail.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29