Buying a car - left hand or right hand drive

General chat about doing business in France and the PO; tax, financial, legal and insurance matters.

Moderator: Moderators

jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jethro »

For those of us who can read French, this forum has an interesting account of what you have to do to get a cheap car from Japan.

https://www.japancar.fr/forum/Sujet-Tut ... e-au-Japon
an' the wun' cried Mary.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

jethro wrote:For thos of us who can read French, this forum has an interesting account of what you have to do to get a cheap car from Japa
https://www.japancar.fr/forums/Sujet-do ... oiture-au-
I can read French, but still didn't find it very interesting. But then I don't find secondhand cars as interesting as you evidently do.[/img]
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Have sent a PM with some relevant comments.

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Gus Morris wrote:Have sent a PM with some relevant comments.

Gus
Oh come on Gus, don't be shy. Most of us will probably want to buy another car some time, if we are spared.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

jethro wrote:For those of us who can read French, this forum has an interesting account of what you have to do to get a cheap car from Japan.

Funny, yesterday the link showed the word 'banned' next to the guy who wrote the post, today the link doesn't exist.

Probably not a good example of whatever point you were trying to make.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
jethro wrote:For those of us who can read French, this forum has an interesting account of what you have to do to get a cheap car from Japan.

Funny, yesterday the link showed the word 'banned' next to the guy who wrote the post, today the link doesn't exist.

Probably not a good example of whatever point you were trying to make.
The poster was shown as banned for me, but the post was still there. It seems to be a guide to buying secondhand "boy racer" type cars from Japan, which have mostly never been marketed here. I fear that it really was a good example of the point that jethro was trying to make, but not much use to a boring old git like me.
ShazzaandPete
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ShazzaandPete »

Thank you to those who took time to share their thoughts. I regret that my post instigated some rather unfortunate comments between you, I don't understand why it gave rise to more personal and to be honest, not very pleasant tones in a couple of instances. It was merely a simple question because being left-handed, it is more natural to have the gear-stick on my left. I take all comments on board and for me I think the clincher is the over-taking hazard which puts the LHD in front. Just for the record, I have been driving for 48 years and have not put anyone in hospital yet, nor have I been injured in a vehicle accident. I have driven different rental cars here, all LHD and I'm sure I will be at home in a car that I am not changing regularly. Thanks again for your shared wisdom, I think maybe I will have to consider carefully before asking anything else on this forum if the stock response from certain posters is sarcasm. As to why buy in the UK, it's because many ex-pats have advised us to, and being pensioners we can't afford to pay through the nose or buy new....does that mean that we shouldn't be here either? Welcome to the ex-pat community in southern France!
We are an Australian couple who moved permanently to France a year ago... still finding our way with bureaucracy and businesses​. We want more community involvement and need French lessons to improve communications. Also need IT help!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

ShazzaandPete wrote:Thank you to those who took time to share their thoughts. I regret that my post instigated some rather unfortunate comments between you, I don't understand why it gave rise to more personal and to be honest, not very pleasant tones in a couple of instances. It was merely a simple question because being left-handed, it is more natural to have the gear-stick on my left. I take all comments on board and for me I think the clincher is the over-taking hazard which puts the LHD in front. Just for the record, I have been driving for 48 years and have not put anyone in hospital yet, nor have I been injured in a vehicle accident. I have driven different rental cars here, all LHD and I'm sure I will be at home in a car that I am not changing regularly. Thanks again for your shared wisdom, I think maybe I will have to consider carefully before asking anything else on this forum if the stock response from certain posters is sarcasm. As to why buy in the UK, it's because many ex-pats have advised us to, and being pensioners we can't afford to pay through the nose or buy new....does that mean that we shouldn't be here either? Welcome to the ex-pat community in southern France!
Like many others on here, I am disappointed and a bit surprised that you feel that way. I have read back over the thread and it seems to me that the advantages and disadvantages of RHD v LHD have been pretty well expressed and I certainly don't perceive any excessive sarcasm.

I cannot of course comment on anything that anyone has sent you in a PM.
There seems to be a number of individuals lately who are critical of the forum and of other members, I don't understand their motives but I chose to ignore the poisonous PMs that I have received.

This is however a forum, not a question and answer session and threads often go away from the original topic. Nevertheless, I have been a member of this forum for 11 years and have found it a valuable resource.

Needless to say, if any of my posts have offended your sensibilities then I am sorry but I have seen no points raised in this thread that wouldn't be made in a discussion in a local pub.

Your profile says that you need help with IT and language, I suggest you post your problems and I am sure there will be many of us willing to help.
ShazzaandPete
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ShazzaandPete »

Thanks for that. I guess my sensibilities arise from the fact that I am a 66 yr old female who doesn't engage in chats with the blokes in pubs. I am now in the know about this forum.
We are an Australian couple who moved permanently to France a year ago... still finding our way with bureaucracy and businesses​. We want more community involvement and need French lessons to improve communications. Also need IT help!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

[quote="] As to why buy in the UK, it's because many ex-pats have advised us to, and being pensioners we can't afford to pay through the nose or buy new....does that mean that we shouldn't be here either? Welcome to the ex-pat community in southern France![/quote]

Pot,kettle,black, so far as sarcasm goes.But I wouldn't dream of leaving the forum in a huff on account of that.

I have re-read the thread with some care, and I cannot see any offensive degree of sarcasm towards you: we were trying to help you towards a well-judged decision, by our lights, and one which ultimately you seem to have agreed with.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

ShazzaandPete wrote:I am now in the know about this forum.
Do you realise how much moral high ground you give up by saying this? You are moderately old, but younger than many of us; you are a woman, but so are many of us, but in any event so what, when we are talking about LHD/RHD cars ? And you are evidently quick to take your bat home, which may or may not be our loss, but might well prove to be inconvenient to you, over the years.

All that said, do stick around: we mostly do just try to be helpful.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Incidentally, I think the thing to worry about, if your muscle memory was trained in the UK or Australia, is simply driving on the wrong side of the road, whether you are in an LHD or RHD car, and whether right- or left-handed. Normally the road markings, and the behaviour of other cars, give you adequate visual cues to drive on the right. But every now then, you pull out of (eg) a petrol station onto a road with no special markings, and no cars in sight, and fall into old habits.

Or at least I have, about once every ten years, and never (so far) for long enough to crash. But it's chastening if/when it happens. That said, I'm not sure what you do about it, beyond having a vigilant passenger (or a much fancier car than I am ever likely to have, with a lane control system).
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Buying a car

Post by polremy »

When we first started driving through France for our holidays we trained our children.
Every time we set off, from a petrol station, a lunch break or a hotel in the morning, they all had to shout in unison "drive on the right!"
Very annoying but it worked and probably saved embarrassment or worse quite a few times.
Gales

Post by Gales »

I agree with Helen. LHD is better and safer option here
jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jethro »

If you type LHD into the search field on UK eBay, you will find many fine vehicles cheaper than you will find in France, mostly.
an' the wun' cried Mary.