Which French SIM to buy sans engagement

General chat about doing business in France and the PO; tax, financial, legal and insurance matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Suffolk lady
Rank 0
Rank 0

Which French SIM to buy sans engagement

Post by Suffolk lady »

Hi there, I've just joined this forum and would like some advice re a SIM for mobile phone.
I've looked at the websites and find the options a bit confusing. Until my husband and I make a permanent move to France and the PO, I need to sort out a mobile phone sans engagement. I have the phone, I just need the SIM.
I will be using it for sending texts, making French phone calls and I would like to be able to access emails but I won't be streaming any videos.

Ive looked at SFR, RED and Free.fr

I will need to buy the SIM in a retail outlet when I arrive this coming Sunday as I don't have a french billing address for a credit/debit card.

Is there a SIM whereby any unused credit can be rolled over ?
If I buy one type of card for one network can I switch to another network but keep the same number ?
Any advice gratefully received
Many thanks in advance from a Suffolk lady

:D
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Which French SIM to buy sans engagement

Post by martyn94 »

Suffolk lady wrote:Hi there, I've just joined this forum and would like some advice re a SIM for mobile phone.
I've looked at the websites and find the options a bit confusing. Until my husband and I make a permanent move to France and the PO, I need to sort out a mobile phone sans engagement. I have the phone, I just need the SIM.
I will be using it for sending texts, making French phone calls and I would like to be able to access emails but I won't be streaming any videos.

Ive looked at SFR, RED and Free.fr

I will need to buy the SIM in a retail outlet when I arrive this coming Sunday as I don't have a french billing address for a credit/debit card.

Is there a SIM whereby any unused credit can be rolled over ?
If I buy one type of card for one network can I switch to another network but keep the same number ?
Any advice gratefully received
Many thanks in advance from a Suffolk lady

:D
I suspect that most of us here have contracts, so we're not experts on PAYG, but if you want to buy it on a Sunday you will be limited, in any event, to what they have at your local tabac, as long as it's open, so ask them. You should be able to keep whatever number you get.

If I ever bump in to you, how do I tell that you're a lady, rather than just a woman?
Suffolk lady
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Suffolk lady »

Thanks for the response.
If you need to ask the difference, you're beyond help :lol:
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Suffolk lady wrote:Thanks for the response.
If you need to ask the difference, you're beyond help :lol:
Some of my best friends are women (no, really), but I don't know any of them who would want to be tagged as ladies. Any more than I would want to be a gentleman, though I am, occasionally.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Hi. If you go to Auchan they sell pay as you go sim cards. You just grab a salesman ( woman) if you can find one willing to help you ( trust me that this can be a task on its own😂). You would have yo wait until Monday morning though as Sunday shopping here is limited. I think you just need proof of identity
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

also need a current bill to prove address.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

opas wrote:also need a current bill to prove address.
I'm not sure that's so for a prépayée?