Expatriate voters' rights

General chat about doing business in France and the PO; tax, financial, legal and insurance matters.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GrahamC »

I can't for the life of me see why disagreeing with edicts from Brussels makes Mrs May arrogant. Are we not allowed to voice opposition when the great God of Brussels speaks?

If you want arrogance then just listen to your little Marxist friend Corbyn. Despite endless failed Marxist experiments, most recently that of his hero Chavez who has managed to reduce Venezuela to a basket case, Corbyn insists that the same solution is right for the UK.

It seems that, for some people, anything which isn't ultra left orthodoxy is arrogance.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Boyz....... :roll:
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Like it or not recent political events have profoundly affected almost all of us. People have strong views. Most shy away from expressing them in places such as this. But there are exceptions!

It is therefore understandable that, under constant bombardment, some among us will stop biting their lips and express a contrary opinion.

There is much talk about how trolls destabilise discussions on social media. But there is a far more insidious method which is equally corrosive. I see evidence of it on this forum. Maybe somebody should have a word.

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

GrahamC wrote:I can't for the life of me see why disagreeing with edicts from Brussels makes Mrs May arrogant. Are we not allowed to voice opposition when the great God of Brussels speaks?

If you want arrogance then just listen to your little Marxist friend Corbyn. Despite endless failed Marxist experiments, most recently that of his hero Chavez who has managed to reduce Venezuela to a basket case, Corbyn insists that the same solution is right for the UK.

It seems that, for some people, anything which isn't ultra left orthodoxy is arrogance.
If you are talking about votes for prisoners - as we seem to be, recently - it's nothing to do with "Brussels". It's about the European Convention on Human Rights, which we signed up to (and as I said, mostly wrote) decades before we joined the EU. Every EU member is a signatory, but so are many non-EU members. The Court which adjudicates on observance of it (or not) is based in Luxembourg, not Brussels. It has had, and has, many distinguished UK lawyers serving as judges. And it has absolutely nothing to with Marxism: it was, if anything, a Cold War initiative, designed to show that (Western) European norms were superior to the Russian model. As remains true.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Gus Morris wrote:Like it or not recent political events have profoundly affected almost all of us. People have strong views. Most shy away from expressing them in places such as this. But there are exceptions!

It is therefore understandable that, under constant bombardment, some among us will stop biting their lips and express a contrary opinion.

There is much talk about how trolls destabilise discussions on social media. But there is a far more insidious method which is equally corrosive. I see evidence of it on this forum. Maybe somebody should have a word.

Gus
Oh come on, Gus, don't be shy. If anyone is going to "have a word", why not you? At least you might know what you want said.

When you got on your high horse and spouted nonsense about dying for your country, it wasn't an opinion, let alone a statement of law. Just nonsense.