Enforcing consumer rights

General chat about doing business in France and the PO; tax, financial, legal and insurance matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Enforcing consumer rights

Post by Allan »

In the spring of 2015, I had to replace the pressure tank (ballon vessie) of our water system. The new one has just developed a split in the outer metal case and is consequently useless.

The retailer agrees that it should not have failed but says that the guarantee is only for 12 months.

EU directive 1999/44/EC is pretty clear that a minimum guarantee of 2 years is required by law. I am not naive enough to believe that quoting an EU directive to them will suddenly result in a replacement, so I have told my handyman to go ahead and buy a replacement but I am in the mood for a battle and will seek reimbursement from the shop.

I am not looking for advice on how to document the issue or how to communicate with the shop but would like to know who to complain to when consumer rights are not honoured.

In the UK I would probably start with Trading Standards but I have no idea who to contact here.

I realise that I am probably tilting at windmills but fancy having a go.

I have just won a battle with Honda France where their local distributor and representative tried to tell me that Europe-wide warranty wasn't valid in France so I am spoiling for a fight.

Any advice or acerbic comments will be greatly appreciated.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

DGCCRF.

I was tempted to leave it as acerbic as that, but here's a link

http://m.aladom.fr/organisme/unite-depa ... s-7xh.html
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Try the consommateurs.

There is an office in the centre of perpignan. Give me a few hours and I will find the address.
Rubbing my hands together, like you ,if I know I am right I will push.

Only the other day, in weldom we spotted a wood fire in the sales. Wow ! Thats A bargain.
Ticket said something like 349e with a 30% ticket on it but another figure of 390e Quick sum divide price by 3 and get about 110e off. Asked the assistant if they deliver and verify final price, ah non, it was original 450e.......no sign anywhere mentioning this price. We didn't reply want a new fire, but if we had I am sure we would have taken that argument up.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

opas wrote:Try the consommateurs.

There is an office in the centre of perpignan. Give me a few hours and I will find the address.

Only the other day, in weldom we spotted a wood fire in the sales. Wow ! Thats A bargain.
Ticket said something like 349e with a 30% ticket on it but another figure of 390e Quick sum divide price by 3 and get about 110e off. Asked the assistant if they deliver and verify final price, ah non, it was original 450e.......no sign anywhere mentioning this price. We didn't reply want a new fire, but if we had I am sure we would have taken that argument up.

"Worse things happen at sea", as my dad used to say.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Thanks Martyn and Opas
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Enforcing consumer rights

Post by Sus »

Allan wrote:
Any advice or acerbic comments will be greatly appreciated.
I would also recommend DGCCRF, a friend took up a case that also related to the 2 year warranty and she was really pleased with the results.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

martyn94 wrote:
opas wrote:Try the consommateurs.

"Worse things happen at sea", as my dad used to say.

They certainly do.....in our days living on yacht , what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!! But thats another thread

Seems you have been supplied with the details Alan, do keep us informed.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.