Andora and tva

General chat about doing business in France and the PO; tax, financial, legal and insurance matters.

Moderator: Moderators

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Andora and tva

Post by opas »

One of my daughters is wanting a phone off a website that has goods that are in hong Kong. If she has it sent to us in France she will have to pay tva, she has friends in lycée who live in Andora.. if she has it delivered to her is there TVA to be paid on receipt?
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Does it matter? It will be payable anyway when they declare it at the border.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

So if I drove to Andora and purchased a phone cigs and booze in a shop I would have to declare that at the border and pay tax! Why bother doing the trip,I could go to Auchan
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

8 hours round trip and all that petrol. Is it really worth it? Unless the item is over 500€ I would suggest that it isn't. I've often bought stuff from the US and not been subjected to customs duty.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I have no intension of driving to Andora, though some of my aging neighbours make a thing of it in the summer to buy sugar....honest, so they can make jam!

my post was that our daughter has Andorian friends as weekly borders in her class, and could they have electrical goods delivered to their homes in Andora, bring it to school and not pay tax on the goods.

Last time I ordered an Item off eBay I found out the goods were coming from china/hong kong.....when they arrived I had to pay about 35€ to the delivery company in tva, I could have bought a comparable item from UK cheaper after paying the tva on my 'bargain'
Debeneur.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Sounds like a business oportunity
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

LOL
one of our less inteligent neighbours thought that a couple of years ago, she was filling her car up with ciggies , splitting the cartouches and flogging the cigs to all the village youths and their mates.........only when she irritated one neighbour by regulars revving their bikes or playing loud music in their waiting cars she stopped, cos the duanes raided her house.

We must be a bit dumb, a youth asked us one day whilst in the garden where the tabac was , we sent the lad to the bar in the next village :lol:
Debeneur.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

opas wrote: my post was that our daughter has Andorian friends as weekly borders in her class, and could they have electrical goods delivered to their homes in Andora, bring it to school and not pay tax on the goods.
Not legally, there is a personal duty free allowance which depends on the age of the traveller but it is only for goods that are for personal use and not on behalf of someone else. Unless your daughter asks her friends to 'smuggle' the phone then it must be declared for duty and tax.

I presume your daughter has considered the wisdom of buying something from Hong Kong and the problems she might encounter if it develops a fault.