carte de Sejour

General chat about doing business in France and the PO; tax, financial, legal and insurance matters.

Moderator: Moderators

zobirdie
Rank 1
Rank 1

carte de Sejour

Post by zobirdie »

Hi all!

I realise that most of you are lucky EU humans and don't have to worry about these things, but I am hoping someone might know how to help me!

I am Canadian and when I was in Germany, I got the 3 month extendable visa for France. I was told I need to take it into the prefecture within three months and get it changed into a full year visa.

I found this:
http://www.pyrenees-orientales.pref.gou ... code=F2733

And I have sent an email to the prefecture in Perpignan, (en francais et anglais as I speak french like a 1 year old) but I was wondering if anyone could tell me in English what I need to do? OR if they had experience in this?

Thanks in advance for any direction or help!
Bird
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Hi Bird
The rules always change but when we arrived, it took ten years of Carte de Sejour first. This means filling out and giving paperwork to the prefecture. My wife is Canadian, so she had to do this each year for the first ten years. I'm American and it took ten years for me too.

Stop off at your Mairie and they can give you the information which will be needed. We made a big file which was up-to-date each year. You will need > your birth certificate, Health System workable in France, Statement of your how much money will you have monthly, and any marriage certificate, if you're married. They're going to ask for a "Family Book" (Maybe this term is wrong but it's something only the French have) but you won't need to have.

We got along with everyone in the Mairie and even the Mayor tried to push this quicker than the ten years BUT, it turned out to be ten years exactly. I know another American and it took the ten years too. His wife is Brazilian and she got her ten year card quicker than the American. The big stumbling is having a good health system which is workable here plus has something which shows you have enough money to live her, without working. You will not be allowed to work here until you make it too the first ten years.

Good luck on getting a Carte de Sejour.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
zobirdie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zobirdie »

Hi!

I thought it all had to be done through the Prefecture for the carte de sejour? Its hard... I can't find any easy or clear information!

I actually have a visa for working as a freelancer. They know about the company I work for and that it pays me. Though I guess I get paid from Germany at the moment.

And thanks for all your info! :)

Birdie