Access to water denied

General chat about doing business in France and the PO; tax, financial, legal and insurance matters.

Moderator: Moderators

odit1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Access to water denied

Post by odit1 »

We have just bought a property and in our contract we have to have access to the communal area to allow access to turn the water on. The other owners of the property have denied us access to water and the communal area and live in Denmark, and are refusing to answer any queries. The agent we bought the property from has basically said it is our problem is this right. Can we force entry ?
Odette
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Did the vendors have a key?
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
odit1
Rank 0
Rank 0

access to water denied

Post by odit1 »

No, they have assured us they didn't, and the lock looks new.. They have said they had no problems, as the other owners had a permanent tenant, but they have now gone.
Odette
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I would have thought that any decent estate agent would earn his or her com by at least looking into it for you. If access is in your contract, AND the area is communal, surely they have no right to prevent you. I'm no legal expert by any means, but it seems to me there is no dispute here. A communal area is surely as much yours as theirs!
Probably a silly question but could it be a communication problem ie they have not understood what you are asking for?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

As Kate says surely communal land is just that a shared communal space. It certainly is where I live. I would return to your Notaire with your deed and ask him to confirm the land is communal, you have a right over it at all times and for all purposes and tell him the reason for your enquiry. It may be beneficial to ask him to write a letter (at a cost) to your neighbours pointing out the situation to them. If this doesnt work buy some lock cutters! :wink:
Dylan
odit1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by odit1 »

Thanks to everyone for help, we are now in the process of getting the Notaire involved. The people we are dealing with are rude and fully understand what the problem is, but this is only alienating them more and their fellow Danish countryman with the French in the village. May resort to taking the lock off, so sue me !!!
Odette
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

we have some 'Tricky' Danes in our village.... their antics have totally alienated some goodfriends of ours, so badly in fact that they have basically returned back to the UK!!!!
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

access to

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Hey....hey! Don't knock the Danes! One of our daughters-in-law is a Dane, and she's great.

Helen

:x
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

She's a Great Dane? :?:
Luciad06
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re:

Post by Luciad06 »

Kate wrote: Sat 05 Oct 2013 14:27 I would have thought that any decent estate agent would earn his or her com by at least looking into it for you. If access is in your contract, AND the area is communal mutuelles Entreprise, surely they have no right to prevent you. I'm no legal expert by any means, but it seems to me there is no dispute here. A communal area is surely as much yours as theirs!
Probably a silly question but could it be a communication problem ie they have not understood what you are asking for?
It should nevertheless be verified that there is no dispute before declaring if there is no conflict.