LPG gas or oil?

General chat about doing business in France and the PO; tax, financial, legal and insurance matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Phipplebert

LPG gas or oil?

Post by Phipplebert »

I'm not sure where to put this post so I'll give it a go here....

We have inherited a wet central heating system in our house and it currently runs off of LPG gas. The gas company want us to enter in to a 12 month contract with them and having had experience of the coat of LPG in England we are unsure as to if this is a good idea or if we should bite the bullet now and swap to oil.

Does anyone have an experience in France of LPG or oil? Ideally one verses the other, in terms of cost. Our experience is only UK based and thus we are unsure as to which would be the best here.

Any advice re changing over costs, running costs etc would be gratefully received.

Or if there are any other alternatives do let me know.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: LPG gas or oil?

Post by Allan »

Phipplebert wrote:I'm not sure where to put this post so I'll give it a go here....

We have inherited a wet central heating system in our house and it currently runs off of LPG gas. The gas company want us to enter in to a 12 month contract with them and having had experience of the coat of LPG in England we are unsure as to if this is a good idea or if we should bite the bullet now and swap to oil.

Does anyone have an experience in France of LPG or oil? Ideally one verses the other, in terms of cost. Our experience is only UK based and thus we are unsure as to which would be the best here.

Any advice re changing over costs, running costs etc would be gratefully received.

Or if there are any other alternatives do let me know.
If it were me, I would switch to a heat pump like the Daikin Altherma. The running cost is a fraction of gas or oil and no tank is required.

http://www.daikin.co.uk/domestic/needs/ ... mperature/
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Thanks Allan, my husband has called for a quote/prince idea and is investigating this as an option, although it sounds as though it may poss be quite expensive...good in the long run but requiring a big lump to set up, so it may be good for us in a few years but not now...although we will wait for a quote.

Are there any other ideas/suggestions anyone? :)
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

We inherited a wet CH system and converted from Oil to a really neat Electric boiler.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Thanks but unfortunately again we have so many radiators it would be incredible expensive to change them all over to electric :(
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

No. We kept the radiators and the wet sysyem, just changed the boiler !
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Oh right I didn't know you could do that. Can you give me some info on your boiler so I can pass it on to my husband? Do you think the running costs haver been better than oil/gas?
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

I am in the UK now so do not have much info. Sorry.

The bill says.

CHAUDIERE ZAEGEL HELD ELECTRA U

It works well and rapidly. I am sure that the 'per kw hour' price compares well to oil. The capital cost was certainly A LOT lower than any other boiler.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

The University of Nottingham publishes a comparative table of heating costs.

Adjusting for French prices 100 Kilowatt/hours of heat are costed at:-

Electric €14.47
LPG € 9.39
Oil € 9.28
Heat Pump € 4.13

Obviously Tariffs and Prices vary so this is only a rough comparison

You didn't say if your house has air conditioning. Most air con systems will also heat houses at a fraction of the cost of other fuels.

If you don't have air-con perhaps you should put it in for heating and cooling and forget the wet system
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

http://www.energy.eu/

seems to suggest that the retail electricity price in France is 80% that of UK

http://www.frenchentree.com/france-lot- ... p?ID=29009

may also be useful

The 'heat pump as boiler' solutions work less well with existing wet CH systems (some thing to do with the most efficient working temoerature) than with underfloor rads.
The air to air heat pumps (air con/heaters) would be on my 'buy' list as they are relatively cheap and any decision should consider capital costs as well as running costs.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Brilliant thanks. I will pass this on to my husband, so that he can do some research.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Owens88 wrote:http://www.energy.eu/

The 'heat pump as boiler' solutions work less well with existing wet CH systems (some thing to do with the most efficient working temoerature) than with underfloor rads.
The air to air heat pumps (air con/heaters) would be on my 'buy' list as they are relatively cheap and any decision should consider capital costs as well as running costs.
Very true but there are a few modern units that have a 2 stage process that can heat water to higher temperatures.

I got my comparative costs from http://www.energy.eu/

I've spoken to a number of suppliers in the area but they all seem to take the approach that people here are more interested in cooling than heating and the level of knowledge of modern heating systems is fairly limited.
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Based on those figures it may make sense for us to run LPG for a year and see how we go. I appreciate a heatpump is much cheaper to run but then a lot more in initial outlay; although we are getting a quote today so that we have a definite idea of outlay on that.