Non refund of tenancy deposit

General chat about doing business in France and the PO; tax, financial, legal and insurance matters.

Moderator: Moderators

lesmimosa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Non refund of tenancy deposit

Post by lesmimosa »

Hi,
My ex landlords have gone back to the UK and refused to refund me any of my £1000.00 deposit. We have disagreed on £350 but they refuse to refund anything unless we agree to the £350. I have contacted my solicitor in the UK but they say as our written agreement was conducted in France it would come under the french legal system. Not sure of the correct procedure so would appreciate any advice.
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

rental deposit

Post by monsans »

How about checking in with the equivalent of CAB at the Marie. Maybe then they could tell you where you yourself stand. I personnaly have no idea but just a suggestion.
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Non refund of tenancy deposit

Post by mrob343 »

lesmimosa wrote:Hi,
My ex landlords have gone back to the UK and refused to refund me any of my £1000.00 deposit. We have disagreed on £350 but they refuse to refund anything unless we agree to the £350. I have contacted my solicitor in the UK but they say as our written agreement was conducted in France it would come under the french legal system. Not sure of the correct procedure so would appreciate any advice.
Was the contract/rental agreement you signed written in French and undersigned under French law ? Or was it written in English or some sort of casual arrangement between you and your proprietor ?

If you could give me an answer to the above i may be able to advise you further.
Thanks
lesmimosa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lesmimosa »

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
It was a written agreement between us. Because we wouldn't agree and sign a document with the amount they wanted to deduct, as they had no proof to back up their figures, they refused to refund us anything or give us our post.
Just thought I would let you know the main problem incase it's relevant.
Regards
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Maybe you should return to the property and take control again. Let the ex-landlord that you're living there again and probably you're going to live there until the thousand amount of the money disputed. Oh yeah, stop paying for the place. Now,within the winter months have arrived, the X cannoty get you out of the place until spring.

The lawyers cannot help you and it works exactly for the X too. Just look for a free rent for this winter.

Invite a few friends and maybe they can give you moral support during the winter months.

Good luck

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
lesmimosa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lesmimosa »

Thanks for that, but we have moved out and did things the decent way. Giving proper notice and not using our deposit towards the last months rent which we could have done.
lesmimosa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lesmimosa »

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. Have now spoken to 'the powers that be' and they have given us great advice. Who'd be a landlord in France, they really stick up for the tenants.