Bakeries

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Bakeries

Post by john »

At a time when bakeries seem to be shutting down all over the UK,it's refreshing to see that in France,the opposite appears to be the case.

A case in point is on the road from Amelie to Le Boulou. Yet another one has now sprung up just out Amelie,with premises in an old Garage(on the right just before you enter the town),similarly to the one in St Jean Pla de Corts. This is at least the fourth new one in that small area to open up in the last 3 years.

Compare that to UK,where in vast swathes of the country the only place to buy fresh bread is in Tesco,Sainsbury's, Asda,Morrisons etc.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

bakeries

Post by Sue »

I always wonder how on earth they have any trade because they seem to be in the strangest of places. While we are talking shops, Argeles refurbished Lidl is re-opening the 23rd April and a brand new Aldi on the 20th April.
Dylan
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Bakeries

Post by tubs »

Someone told me that the new Lidl in Argeles will have a bakery in store. I believe the Elne one already.
Where is the new Aldi going to be in Argeles?
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

The new Aldi is behind and between Weldom and Sport 2000. The sign is already mounted so it's going to be open soon.

There's another Lidl in Laroque, adjacent to the Carrefour Market (previous Champion). Not sure of the date but it will happen this summer.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Bakeries

Post by john »

tubs wrote:Someone told me that the new Lidl in Argeles will have a bakery in store. I believe the Elne one already.
Where is the new Aldi going to be in Argeles?
Some of the Lidls in Spain cook bread instore,tubs,but really all it is is heating up pre-made baguettes etc.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Where I am there is a Carrefour Contact (ex Shopi) open 8am-9pm and on Sunday 9-1pm, quite impressed, is this the start of Sunday opening?
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Marguerite & Steve wrote:Where I am there is a Carrefour Contact (ex Shopi) open 8am-9pm and on Sunday 9-1pm, quite impressed, is this the start of Sunday opening?
To be fair,the Shopi's,Vivals of this world have been opening on Sun mornings for some time,Marguerite.

The last article I read about this seemed to imply that there is little demand for general longer opening hours on Sundays here . Is that the case up your way,too ?
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Shopi's have obviously been taken over by Carrefour, I was surprised last Sunday how busy they were, so a good sign. (well for me :lol: )
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Hi all :)

If you want some nice cheap croissants ( 29 cents )
Pop down to Lidl in Argeles, its worth it just for the extraction method :roll:
A bit like trying to get one of those toys with the crane :lol:
I know just ignore me :oops:
Also an excellent Boule at 1 euro 20, get it tranched for a great sandwich ;)
To be found at the new bakery on the Plage

Cheers Sav :)
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I love the way this thread started off praising the abundance of small bakeries in the region offering nice fresh bread and very quickly turned into a list of discount supermarkets and sunday opening. Be careful what you wish for.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Santiago wrote:I love the way this thread started off praising the abundance of small bakeries in the region offering nice fresh bread and very quickly turned into a list of discount supermarkets and sunday opening. Be careful what you wish for.
I know your comment was tongue in cheek,Jon,and it can be taken in that spirit.

But,surely what this thread proves ,yet again ,is that there is a massive demand for a very wide range of goods and services from a huge range of providers ?

When I started the thread I was bringing to people's attention that there is a better supply of independent bakeries in this area than that in the UK. But also,the discount supermarkets provide a fantastic service,especially for those who are on a tight budget. I've no real strong views on Sunday opening. It's not really a case of "wishing" for anything. I've personally no particular desire to go trolling round Auchan etc on Sunday afternoon,but if that's what folk choose to do ,then so be it.

I always chuckle at the hypocrisy of the French ,who mutter "non,non ,non" to such changes to their beloved French "tradition" as shops opening on a Sunday,but then cheerfully jump in their cars and tootle off down to Jonquera on a Sunday to stock up with fags,pastis ,beer,and meat etc !