cheap kitchen units

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

cheap kitchen units

Post by mand »

does anyone know where's the best place to get cheap kitchen units
no point buying quality it's for a letting and the person who is in there at the moment has wrecked them within 2 years.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Brico Depot at Perpignan North, probably.

Seem to think that they are the cheapest for just about everything.
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

thumbelina wrote:Brico Depot at Perpignan North, probably.

Thanks will give them a try
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

thumbelina wrote:Brico Depot at Perpignan North, probably.

You can view their range here:
http://www.bricodepot.fr/claira/

Russell.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

don't forget you get what you pay for! very poor quality units from brico depot/leroy merlin/casto etc. none of these will stand abuse from from heavy handed tennants, be prepared to replace them after another 2 yrs.
false economie i would say.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I'd agree with Interiors. If the tenants can wreck normal units in 2 years, you'll be asking this same question in 9 months with the cheapest units.

I've been pleased with the Ikea units. I know you have to make an effort to get them but they are quicker to contruct than Brico, guaranteed 10 years and easy to replace bits rather than the whole thing.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Mand better find better rentors. Also, get a damage depot when the rentors move into the house.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I don't necessarily disagree with what you say.

Having said that, I do believe that if you get someone who knows what they are doing to install them (even a professional if you can afford one!) then the units will last a lot longer than two years.

A friend of ours bought some cheap MFI kitchens and installed them in his apartments, had them installed by a good carpenter and they're still going strong over ten years later.

The installation is as, if not more important, than the build quality.
Serge

Post by Serge »

blackduff wrote:Mand better find better rentors. Also, get a damage depot when the rentors move into the house.

Blackduff
I agree with BD, you maybe need to be having a look at a better form of screening for your tennants and like Thumbers says, professionally fitted units will last longer ...................
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

interiors66 wrote:don't forget you get what you pay for! very poor quality units from brico depot/leroy merlin/casto etc. none of these will stand abuse from from heavy handed tennants, be prepared to replace them after another 2 yrs.
false economie i would say.
With a name like yours I guess you have a vested interest?

In my experience yes, you get what you pay for but, what you pay for with expensive units is often an expensive showroom with a low turnover hence the high price. I am more inclined to go for mid price but examine the carcass construction rather than just the outer appearance. For rental I would go for the cheapest!

Russell.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

yes russel i am in the business.
i have fitted many kitchens in the past from cheap to very expensive and although tb is right in a way in saying that if its well fitted it will last a long time that doesnt count for the cheap fittings supplied these days i.e. hinges and drawer runners which seem to get poorer and poorer,its these that will let you down first and not the quality of the fitting(however good).
then there is the quality of the melamine or mdf carcass a cheap one will not withstand many spillages and will delaminate and degrade very quikly.
just advice ,but i find ikea to be the best around for price and quality they might be slightly more expensive than the d.i.y. stores but as i said , you get what you pay for.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Having rented quite a few properties, I'd say buying cheap, easily damaged furniture is false economy - unless you really like arguing over the bond!

Antiques are obviously not a good idea but the sturdiest, most hardwearing furniture will save you time and money in the end. It also helps attract the better tenants and encourages them to look after the place.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Santiago wrote:Having rented quite a few properties, I'd say buying cheap, easily damaged furniture is false economy - unless you really like arguing over the bond!

Antiques are obviously not a good idea but the sturdiest, most hardwearing furniture will save you time and money in the end. It also helps attract the better tenants and encourages them to look after the place.
Agreed but my point was that cheap does not necessarily equal poor quality and expensive does not equal good quality. You have to examine the construction of the units yourself to find the robust ones. The cost difference between good and poor hinges and drawer runners is insignificant compared to the price differences between makes of units.

Russell.