Butchery in Figueres

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Butchery in Figueres

Post by john »

I have had several PM's recently regarding the butchers shop at Lidl Figueres that was mentioned back in the summer. It appears several members have had fruitless trips there to buy meat.

Unfortunately this shop closed down about a month ago. Of course the Lidl is still open,but the butcher who was nothing to do with Lidl has now gone.

I'm going today on a recce to see if I can find out if it still exists in another guise,and,if not, explore the other meat-buying possibilities in Figueres. Fri Cash,just by the Wine Palace roundabout is very good,but there may be other options.

I'll report back with my findings in due course.....
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Does that include the cheese counter next to it?

Russell.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Well,your intrepid correspondant is just back from the wilds of Figueras,his reconnaisance mission complete.

Devotees of the erstwhile Lidl butchers will doubtless be interested to hear that their operation has been incorporated into the modernised butchery shop with red and white hoardings on the opposite side of the road to Lidl,just a few metres towards the town centre. Prices seem similar,but there did not appear to be any "specials".

The provisions market only operates on Tu ,Th and Sa,and apparently meat stalls are rare. There is a permanent covered maket called Els Excorxadors just up the side street oppsite the main covered market. There are a couple each of meat,fish and fruit/veg stalls here only,so it's small by Spanish market standards. Prices though are keen, as is quality with some excellent looking Girona ribs of beef on offer at 10€ a kilo. Boneless lomo of pork was a paltry 4.5€ per kilo.

Also,there is the Fri Cash shop near Wine Palace,and despite some criticism from others on AD,I thought the prices were good there too.

BTW,Russell,yes the whole indepêndant operation at Lidl has gone,inc the cheese /cold meat bit,which is a pity ,as they had some really excellent Iberico hams there.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Good report John. Thanks

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

Thanks John
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

hi, this may sound silly why go to figueres to get beef at 10 euros a kilo when you can get it here for 14 ( from a local bloke not supermaket stuff)? by the time you pay the petrol I wouldn't have thought it was worth it or do people go there to fill up on lots of other things at the same time.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

tia wrote:.....or do people go there to fill up on lots of other things at the same time.
Yes, whiskey :) :) :)

Russell.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

tia wrote:hi, this may sound silly why go to figueres to get beef at 10 euros a kilo when you can get it here for 14 ( from a local bloke not supermaket stuff)? by the time you pay the petrol I wouldn't have thought it was worth it or do people go there to fill up on lots of other things at the same time.
No,it's a fair point Tia,but you sort of answer your own question !

You are correct that ,if you just went there purely to buy one kilo of bog-standard beef,then it wouldn't be worth it. But,as you say,the trick is to incorporate a full shopping trip into the visit. Meat,fish,fruit and veg plus ,as Russell correctly says,booze,are all a lot cheaper in Spain than France,and,as far as beef goes,the Girona stuff is streets ahead quality wise than anything available in France,whether in a supermarket or a "local bloke".

So,if you stock up on all these things,then you can save the petrol used. Incorporating a meal out is a good idea too,as it's far better value in Spain,generally, than in PO.

There was a time that filling up with petrol/diesel in Spain paid for the trip too,but,sadly that's now a thing of the past,thanks to higher fuel duties over there.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Thanks for that recommendation. Went there yesterday to buy lots of drink and bbq stuff. Was really impressed with the meat place both for price and quallity. I got a load of chicken quarters and the butcher (very friendly and between them they speak a bit of each language) asked me if I wanted it prepped for barbie. He then spent 10 mins chopping it in all the right places so that they laid flat on bbq. Cooked much better and tasted delish. Got a load of spare ribs too which we did sweat and sour - enough for 12 people cost 13 euros with some left over. Excellent quality rib eye steaks too, half the price of France.
Must admit tia that I'm not really one for going out of my way to save a few quid - much too lazy - but the range of choice and the quality is well worth it for carnivores.
The wine Palace across the roundabout is also worth a visit - too many wines - I ended up coming back to France and buying my usual cos I just didnt know what to pick - but the fruit palace, which is attached to the wine palace, has every single fruit and veg imaginable, great quality again, and all very very cheap compared to France.
Despite the fact that I braved the roads all by myself like a big girl, and promptly got lost, going round the same roundabout about 7 times, accidentally finding myself in the middle of Figueras, in the dodgy looking back streets, once I DID find it, I realised that it is really easy to get to (just off the main road in fact) and has its own free inside parking which leads directly into the shop. Dead impressed I was!
Pete F
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pete F »

Hey Kate

I try not to comment on innocent typos, but "sweat and sour" ribs were just too good to pass!

P :D
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

Hi Pete. I would say you are very perspicacious! :lol:
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Kate wrote:Thanks for that recommendation. Dead impressed I was!
Glad to be of service Kate. The meat at Fri Cash is of excellent quality/price. Sadly the other meat place I mention above (red and green hoardings near Lidl etc) was a short lived venture,and has recently shut. But the covered Escorxadors market is another good source for both meat and fish.

I know,quite understandably,that there are POL members who exhort us all to use local shops,but,the fact is ,that with the ever-increasing and sometimes outrageous prices for food in French villages,those of us on limited funds HAVE to search out better bargains like FriCash and the Fruit Palace.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

the little 'family butchers' after the level crossing when heading up to the market place from Lidl does WONDERFUL Chipolata sausages... MUCH Better than the French offerings!!! 10 euros Kg. and my Kids Love them!! we buy 3 or 4 kg at a time and freeze them in suitable portions!!!
the Skyman