Best cheap beer in the PO

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Best cheap beer in the PO

Post by Santiago »

I've been a big fan of Lidl's Perlenbacher Pils for about 2 years now but I'm either getting bored of it or they've changed the recipe. It tastes a bit too dry and bitter these days.

I kind of like Grafenwalder too but I've had dodgy stomachs after drinking it. Netto had something decent beginning with W in a blue can.

So I wondered if others could recommend a good cheap beer that's easy to find not too strong in alcohol i.e 4-5%.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I buy gallons of Estrella Damm when I'm in Spain. Cheap, cheerful and OK :D
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

(Just joking!)
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Depends what you call cheap,Santiago. Lidl in Spain do a cracking beer (far better than Perlenbacher)called Veltins. I've had this in Germany itself and it is well thought of.

Otherwise,I agree with Thumbs. Estrella Damm takes some beating,but is a lot more expensive than German stuff..

Netto's blue can beer is called Walsteiner and is OK.

It's ALL better than French beer!
Beach Bum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Beach Bum »

Heston Blumenthal uses 1664 to make a batter for fish. Good enough for me.
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

I've been on Grafenwalder since Lidl started stocking it.

Am I right in thinking that you could buy it from Netto about 10 years ago ?

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Beach Bum wrote:Heston Blumenthal uses 1664 to make a batter for fish. Good enough for me.
I'm surprised he doesnt mix it with lychees and black pudding (or similar) to make some bloody stupid foam to douse one of his nonsensical "dishes".......
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Beach Bum wrote:Heston Blumenthal uses 1664 to make a batter for fish. Good enough for me.
That's right - it's cooking lager!

I like Estrella and I'll try Veltins but I really want something I can buy in France. Doesn't Leader Price have anything decent?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Santiago wrote:
That's right - it's cooking lager!

I like Estrella and I'll try Veltins but I really want something I can buy in France. Doesn't Leader Price have anything decent?
Yeah,they do have a cheapo ,Jon. Is it called Karlsbrau? .Much the same as the offerings from Lidl etc. Perfectly drinkable,but not hing special. Also a Belgian Abbey beer with a cork top which is quite reasonable.Netto do another stronger one ,called Shilbrau.Unfortunate,as the font on the can label makes the "L" in the name look like another letter.......