Paint recommendations

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Paint recommendations

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hello,

Can anyone recommend white exterior woodwork paint and white interior woodwork paint.

Am I right in assuming that the strength of the sun in the region plays havoc with the oil based type of paint we use in the UK for exterior woodwork and that the french use different paint.

I have already been recommended Renulac interior emulsion from Brico Depot which is approx 60 euros for 15 litres so interior emulsion is sorted but it still leaves paint for interior and exterior woodwork to source.I know paint is expensive in France but am not so bothered to pay a little extra as long as the paint is good and suitable for the conditions in which it has to perform.

Most of the woodwork has been previously painted but will need rubbing down, an undercoat and top coat paint........or maybe is there another way method used in France ?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

Tom& Barb.
As you have already mentioned Brico Depot at Claira, I would recommend the new Leroy Merlin which is within the same Commercial area.

They have an extensive range of paints and can mix tints or shades to suit your colour scheme.

They also stock Whites.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

These are the Brands stocked.

ENVIE Leroy Merlin Own Brand
RIPOLIN
CORONA
DULUX VALENTINE
LEROY MERLIN
TECHNOPRO

They have an English Web Page, you can also download from this a Technical English/French word list.

http://www.leroymerlin.fr/mpng2-front/p ... &pageid=17

Hope this helps
Michael
TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

PAINT RECOMMENDATIONS

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hi Michael,

Thanks taking the time to reply.

I have already visited the LM store at Rivesaltes and have opened a LM loyaly card.
The only thing is there is such an array of products available in France that it becomes 'mind boggling'.

What I really would like is some personal experience of particular paints/brands/types that other people have used and tried.

I recently bought some cheap paint at Weldom------never again !!!!.It was terrible stuff and took so many coats to cover it was a false economy if only for the amount of time it took to do the job.

I did bring a large quantity of UK paint with me to start off with but am flying now rather than driving so I have to use the French paint if the work is to be completed.

Good exterior woodwork paint is expensive in the UK so am prepared to pay a small premium if I can get a good French equivalent as I'd rather do the job every 5 years than every two.

I'm still not sure if the French use oil based gloss or acrylic water based paints for exterior woodwork and what, if any undercoat is used.

PS: the LM pages you directed me too are very helpful.Is the rest of their website available in English ? My French is currently not too clever--especially technical words and phrases.

I tried to find other pages but couldnt.When I click on the side tabs the site reverts back to French

Thanks once again.If we ever meet - will buy you a beer.
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

I recently used an exterior paint on new shutters - straight on to the bare wood without primer or undercoat. I can't remember the name of it and since I'm not in Baho at the moment can't look at the tin, but I got it in Leroy Merlin. I was certainly pleased with the way it went on and only need 2 coats but only time will tell how if it lasts as long in the sun as primer, undercoat and 2 coats of gloss would. Might be worth asking about.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

I am ready to do our shutters in dark woodstain. The info below was gleaned from another forum but not used it myself. I have asked a professional decorator here and he has suggested Sikkens exterior woodstain satin finish but of course that has to be bought in the UK.
"ascral" (brand name) - bois ancien - peinture bois deja peints ou lasurés. Satin finish, microporous, to allow the wood to breathe.

To tell the truth, ours is just beginning to peel a little bit in places but, the doors and shutters are exposed to the sun most of the day, they're really ancient and, although we prepared as well as we could before applying, we were on holiday, so definitely not professional preparation!

The paint has lasted 5-6 years and is only now beginning to start to peel. Don't think that's bad at all. The paint comes in various traditional French colours - for the different regions
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I last put Lasure on our shutters and windows about 2 years ago, it still looks good. We had owned the house about 5 years when I did that. I wish I had used a product like that when we had wood windows and doors in UK instead of varnish.......this stuff goes on without any effort. I wouln`t want the bother of paint and having to work the brush anymore.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Instead of brushwork, I can recommenfd this one!
http://www.earlex.co.uk/html/hvlp_html/hv2900.htm
Bought last year in Bricomarché (Carrefour, Claira)
Very efficient and easy to use.
Just have to clean it properly after use.. but same for paintbrushes!!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I painted my house in New Zealand, where the sun is far more fierce than here, with external acrylic paint and would recommend that. If it's new wood you need an oil-based primer. If it already has paint just sand it and away you go.

I've used Leroy-Merlin, Ripolin and other brands and to be honest the L-M brand were better. I would not buy cheap paint or paint labelled "trade paint" as I've always found it thin and drippy.

Acrylic paints are the way to go unless you want a gloss finish in which you need an oil. Why not ask the English woman in L-R at Perpignan Sud.

Emulsion - I thought that dissappeared with cassette recorders :lol: