Downpipe protector

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Downpipe protector

Post by Lanark Lass »

I've just had to replace a downpipe because it got broken by a passing vehicle. Does anyone know where I can buy an iron protector for the pipe so that the same thhing doesn't happen again? Or is this something which has to be specially made - haven't noticed them in the hardware shops. Any information gratefully received.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Your local forgeron would probably be able to make you one sur mesure

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Was it cast iron? It’s normal to do the bottom length of a down-pipe in cast iron (rather than galvanized sheet steel or plastic) exactly to protect them from damage. If it was cast iron, then evidently you need something more serious. I’m sure the “cagesâ€￾ exist ready-made. Either way, a good plumber can help you.
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

It is a pvc pipe. Do you know where I could buy a ready made cage? I think having one made to order could prove expensive?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Or I guess a good builder could. If someone just replaced your old down pipe like-for-like without addressing the risk of the same damage again, you might look for someone new.
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

It's not just the strength of the downpipe itself but also how firmly it's attached to the wall. A good bash with a car could easily rip it from it's mountings and make it even harder to re-fit.

The cheapest solution might be to stay with plastic and see what happens.

On a tight corner near us I see that the lower part of a downpipe has been chased into the wall completely.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

I'll own up. A few years back I made one for a friend. Dead simple. Two lengths of steel strip and a series of hoops made from re-bar. Drilled holes in the strip. inserted the hoops and welded them up. For extra protection welded on a spine. Bolted the lot to the wall. Job done.

Admittedly I have an arc welder in the back of the garage!

Gus

PS No. I'm not looking for work.
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

We bought replacement pvc pipe - and a replacement piece should it happen again. We had to transport it home on roof of car.

Even metal pipes around here get bashed. I've seen some houses with pipes set into the wall - but as ours is made of riverstone I'm loathe to disturb the wall.

Gus's idea sounds good - if i had an arc welder.

If having a custom made pipe protector is too expensive I'll just have to leave it to chance and use the spare if required. The last pipe lasted 12 years that I know of. Just thought if I could find an affordable guard it would be nice. The break was quite high up so it must have been caused by a van.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Lanark Lass wrote:We bought replacement pvc pipe - and a replacement piece should it happen again. We had to transport it home on roof of car.

Even metal pipes around here get bashed. I've seen some houses with pipes set into the wall - but as ours is made of riverstone I'm loathe to disturb the wall.

Gus's idea sounds good - if i had an arc welder.

If having a custom made pipe protector is too expensive I'll just have to leave it to chance and use the spare if required. The last pipe lasted 12 years that I know of. Just thought if I could find an affordable guard it would be nice. The break was quite high up so it must have been caused by a van.
At the cost of a few metres of pvc pipe every 12 years or so then you probably don’t have a problem to solve. Remember that if you encase the pipe in something, then, if that gets hit you might end up replacing your expensive protector instead of your cheap pipe.

Typical UK prices seem around £80.

You can see examples of protectors here https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=downp ... 68&bih=922
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

This company will deliver from uk to Europe but you need to contact them before orderinghttps://www.drainagesuperstore.co.uk/br ... steel.html
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I’ve already tried to give you all the advice I can usefully give about drainpipes, and you don’t seem to have given it total attention.
Oh Martyn. Do you actually realise how that sounds?

A little like I used to talk to inattentive kids when I was a teacher....but I would only talk to them like that when all else had failed.

I would also ask the to check over there work, read it through several times for spelling and grammar, and especially for meaning before they handed it in. I would suggest you do the same.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:
I’ve already tried to give you all the advice I can usefully give about drainpipes, and you don’t seem to have given it total attention.

A little like I used to talk to inattentive kids when I was a teacher....but I would only talk to them like that when all else had failed.

I would also ask the to check over there work, read it through several times for spelling and grammar, and especially for meaning before they handed it in. I would suggest you do the same.
This seemed to be, and I hope still is, one of the more productive threads we have had recently. We are not children here.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:

I would also ask them to check over their work, read it through several times for spelling and grammar, and especially for meaning before they handed it in. I would suggest you do the same.
Yes of course I do. This isn’t a primary school. And I can’t give anyone a rap across the knuckles with a ruler, much as I might like to.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

I thought that the French weren't bothered too much about downpipes , or their continuity.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

It seems the french for a cast iron section of pipe at the bottom of a downpipe is a 'Dauphin'. I guess that not many of us would have thought of that.

http://pdf.archiexpo.fr/pdf/achard/plaq ... .html#open
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

This seemed to be, and I hope still is, one of the more productive threads we have had recently. We are not children here
No, we are indeed not children, nor are you the headmaster. Enough of your sharp and thoughtlessly delivered comments. They are destroying what remains of the forum. I suggest you take a break please. I will delete any of your comments that do not conform with the tone of this forum SET BY ME, NOT BY YOU.
Florence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Florence »

The bottom end of the downpipe is called dauphin, the metal cage is quite simply a grille de protection.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Florence wrote:The bottom end of the downpipe is called dauphin, the metal cage is quite simply a grille de protection.
The really interesting question is: why on earth is it a dauphin? The eldest son of the King of France? Perhaps it is that, in very metaphorical way. It certainly looks more majestic than the rest of the pipe.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:
Florence wrote:The bottom end of the downpipe is called dauphin, the metal cage is quite simply a grille de protection.
The really interesting question is: why on earth is it a dauphin? The eldest son of the King of France? Perhaps it is that, in very metaphorical way. It certainly looks more majestic than the rest of the pipe.
I’m not sure it is that interesting but a. Dauphin is also a dolphin.

I think the name comes from the fact that iron workers in previous eras made ornate spouts on drainpipes. Have a look at the pictures here
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dolph ... PwhYmyf_M:
Rombolo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Downpipe protector

Post by Rombolo »

Hi there,
I am sure you have found a great solution by now, or replaced the pipe several times since. Just a thought, any possibility of diverting the downpipe at a higher level with a couple of bends around to a safer location away from traffic? My own consideration on the 'protector' idea is that it would stick out towards the traffic more than the pipe itself and is likely to get smashed off the wall and wreck your wall surface.

Just a thought anyway
Kind regards
Richard