English products

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

We also occasionally by British style bacon at Aldi in Figueras.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: English products

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote:
Allan wrote:

Out of interest, where do you source your pickled onions?
Anywhere I can find pickling onions, which is to say never recently, though I made some OK pickled shallots a few years ago (you need the non-clustering kind, which are equally hard to find). I've had OK pickled onions in Australia, imported from India, but not so good as to cart back home.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Gus Morris wrote:I took a look in our cupboards. The only item of UK origin is a tin of Bird's custard. We cook most of our food from scratch and bake our own bread. Don't know about Five Continents for British food but it is where we get ingredients for Asiatic cuisine.

It's worth taking a look in the shops across the border for stuff you can't buy in France. The choice of flour, for example, is much more varied. Digestive biscuits are also regularly available.

Gus
The thing I remember about Bird's custard powder, from about 55 years ago, is that it initially goes a distinct pink colour (from one of the dodgy food colours which ultimately produce the yellow colour to mimic the egg yolk that it doesn't contain). I had thought that this might be false memory, but apparently it's still so

https://www.newscientist.com/blog/lastw ... stard.html