A master English butcher - locally!

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

A master English butcher - locally!

Post by malcolmcooper »

I think it's great news. Top quality products from a no nonsense bloke I can talk to. I've had a lovely pork joint so far and I'll be back very soon for sausages and pork pies. It's early days in his new shop in Cabestany so worth a phone call first if you're after something specific. He's open now, don't let the window grills being down fool you.

http://anglophone-direct.com/listing/jo ... e-butcher/
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I was rather hoping - going by the surname - that he was a Welsh butcher. I say that because the best butcher I have ever used - by a street - was a local in Welshest Wales. But I'm not a chauvinist if his gear is up to scratch. Will try, much as I normally hate Mas Guérido.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

He has to be a great guy, I beleive he isfrom Bury.....home of the best back pud in the world!
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

opas wrote:He has to be a great guy, I beleive he isfrom Bury.....home of the best back pud in the world!
If he sells black pud in the Bury manner, I certainly will visit. I often stay with friends near Mortagne au Perche - a very nice little town which happens to hold the world boudin championships. A Bury maker used to compete there (perhaps still does) and always won a prix hors concours. It didn't fit any of their categories, but they could tell that it was good.
jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jethro »

You really have to have tasted Stornoway black pudding before voicing a view on any other.
an' the wun' cried Mary.
catllar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by catllar »

Has John Price gone? No sign of life on a recent visit to Mas Guerido. I heard his dad was unwell but no further info. No response from phone number which seems to be disconnected. Anyone know anything?
Life is not a rehearsal
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Yes. He's gone as far as I know.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Yes he disappeared in a puff of smoke! My daughter worked for him for a while on a casual basis. Not heard from him for about 6 months.
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Yes, he's gone.
Tim the Sausage man will be round on Saturday with his sausages though.
http://anglophone-direct.com/sausage-man-cometh-back-2/
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

He didn't last very long.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Its a shame reply, he spent time teaching his staff how to use his equipment. Jen enjoyed the weeks she was there....and the money of course.
Debeneur.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Yes but there was a butcher there before him which did not last either. Not sure if he took over that one or had another shop but if he had done his homework he would have realised that it was not really the right place to start up. Lot of shops in Mas Guerido are closed down or closing down unfortunately.