Cheques at Lidl

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Cheques at Lidl

Post by Gus Morris »

On page 10 of the current P-O Life Magazine it states that Lidl won't be accepting cheques from February 1st. I was in Lidl yesterday and the lady in front paid by cheque. No problem. The cheque printer was hooked up to the till and working. Could not see any notices saying that they don't accept cheques or even that there are any restrictions or special requirements.

Having said all that, fewer people seem to pay by cheque these days and I suspect very few of your readers use them on a daily basis.

Gus
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Which Lidl store were you at?
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Smiley G wrote:Which Lidl store were you at?
Argeles.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

They are still accepting cheques.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

My guess would be that they're not just going to stop 'like that' but ease them out gradually. Some older people probably dont have or wish to use any other form of payment so I imagine it's a matter of persuading people to break the habit.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:My guess would be that they're not just going to stop 'like that' but ease them out gradually. Some older people probably dont have or wish to use any other form of payment so I imagine it's a matter of persuading people to break the habit.
Just for fun, I've always been amused by the ritual where the caissière shows the customer what the system has printed on her cheque before sticking it in the till (or getting it signed, if it isn't already). You can buy a few hundred euros worth of groceries, and a few hundred items, and pay by cash or card, without getting the chance to check whether the system has scanned and cast it up correctly (and you'd make no friends if you wanted to check before paying). But the much simpler task of transposing the total to the cheque printer is always verified. No doubt there's some décret, only a few decades old by now, that says that this has to be so.