Open Razor

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

ron1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Open Razor

Post by ron1 »

Hi,
I am new to this forum although I have been reading it for a long time.
We holiday in Boulou and we are here for two and a half weeks.
would anyone be able to tell me where I can buy a new good quality open razor.I prefer the French made ones.Yes I can buy them on line in the UK but want one for a present to take home.Thanks.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

No. But if you search on, eg, "coutellerie Perpignan", you get multiple hits.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Don't put it in your hand-luggage :(
ron1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Open Razor

Post by ron1 »

Thanks for the prompt replies from Martyn and Sue/Paul.I have done what you suggested Martyn but so far I have not found any suppliers only knife makers.I am really after the Thiers Issard razors.I knew it was a long shot.I am a retired barber and have come here for many years and never yet seen any razor suppliers.There are hairdressers suppliers but you would normally have to have an account with them.There are some on Amazon but same applies.I will wait until I get home and order online I think.
Thanks again.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you asked your firm in Thiers if they have a supplier here? I'm mildly surprised: serious knife shops tend to carry a decent range even if they also make (or finish?) their own. I could recommend a shaving-supply shop in Paris (they certainly have open razors, though I would not swear to your brand): I imagine that they would ship, though it depends how long you're here, and anyway would spoil the fun.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Incidentally, I've always wondered whether barbers shave themselves with open razors, or just other people (the few who still do). I guess now I know.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

martyn94 wrote:Or try here (entirely at random)

http://www.artdubarbier.com/rasoirs-cou ... ncais.html
Of course, they also do other models of Issard "coupe-choux". What a lovely expression: I would never have guessed that was French for cut-throat.
ron1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Open Razor

Post by ron1 »

Hi Martyn,
I did email Thiers Issard a few days ago with no reply.
I tried to contact two of the cutlery web sites also with no reply.Since your last message I have ordered a razor on French Amazon.It wasn't until I had paid when some further details appeared.The razor I ordered was smaller in length than I thought so I cancelled the order.Any way I really wanted to see and feel the item first.I will wait until we go home now.Thank you Martyn.Ron1
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Open Razor

Post by martyn94 »

ron1 wrote:Hi Martyn,
I did email Thiers Issard a few days ago with no reply.
I tried to contact two of the cutlery web sites also with no reply.Since your last message I have ordered a razor on French Amazon.It wasn't until I had paid when some further details appeared.The razor I ordered was smaller in length than I thought so I cancelled the order.Any way I really wanted to see and feel the item first.I will wait until we go home now.Thank you Martyn.Ron1
Given the prices I saw on a very cursory look, I would have liked to see them in the flesh too (if that's the right expression).