IKEA news

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

IKEA news

Post by sue and paul »

http://www.lasemaineduroussillon.com/ac ... 17471.html

Well - we'll see.....New Ikea boss has said that new store will definitely open at Rivesaltes autumn 2017. Can it be true this time? After all, déjà vu is a French expression :)
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

In Ikea-speak, it is probably Snottfrith or Gabbsnogg. Too late for me (I very much hope): if I never assemble anything more than today's two Billys and a Malm, it won't be too late.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

For any of you are remotely interested in what Martyn is talking about see below.

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/09/malm ... -unit.html
Dylan
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Sue wrote:For any of you are remotely interested in what Martyn is talking about see below.

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/09/malm ... -unit.html
I love "remotely" (if anyone's intensely interested, I can offer a full reading list). But who'd be that sad? it's a lovely day: why not go for a swim (and stock up on anchovies on the way back)?
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

IKEA

Post by Owens88 »

Any updates on IKEA in or near the region, inc. spain ? Their website is bad in that to find a store to name a city where you think there will be one.

p.s. Using the search function for IKEA brought up two emails about waste....
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Their "business model" has been to build a small number of big stores, each with a big "catchment area". I used to spend some time in Canberra, and the prospect of an IKEA there, rather than in Sydney three hours away, was regarded as a sort of secular Second Coming: it made people think that their (small but affluent) home town mattered. It is now open, quite a few years on, and is now, no doubt, going gangbusters.

I think it suits IKEA to build up expectation about their opening (not to say hysteria), even over years: believe it's open when you see it, and in the meantime, go to Montpellier or buy on line (which is surprisingly clunky, and expensive, but ultimately works).

I suspect that they have been reluctant to go online more seriously because their margins are already pretty tight, and they would lose the sales of all the extra cheap junk (though sometimes useful) that you wouldn't have bought if you hadn't gone there. Not to say the meatballs for lunch.
Last edited by martyn94 on Wed 10 May 2017 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I just see a traffic jam waiting to happen. They can delay it forever as fas as I'm concerned.