Proper Chips!

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Proper Chips!

Post by malcolmcooper »

As someone who only eats chips maybe once in 6 weeks I've decided that I'd like them "proper" as in fried in beef dripping. I tasted them once a few years ago at the Black Country Museum in Dudley and crave the taste again.
http://www.bclm.co.uk/locations/hobbs-a ... HeD9meROSo
So, I went into my local butcher today and asked if I could buy grasse de boeuf. He looked at me oddly at first but "got it" when I mentioned frites. Ahh! like Belgique!, Oui I said and then got the reply, Non! and a classic shrug.
Short question is does anyone know if and where I might get some please?
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

No, but if you like your frites cooked in beef dripping, Malcolm, have you tried them cooked in duck fat? Very, very popular here in Duckland (aka the Ariège) :lol:
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Blimey Malcolm! I would have thought that you of all people would know where to buy it.

It is actually beef dripping that is used for chips which is a by-product of roasting meat although I'm sure commercial production is done differently.

It is sold in France under the brand name of Blanc de Boeuf. But may not be available locally.

You can buy it online here http://www.cuisineaddict.com/achat-blan ... g-4818.htm

I have had duck fat chips which are pretty good as well.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Blimey Malcolm! I would have thought that you of all people would know where to buy it.
Yea! I know, sorry :oops: Thanks for your help. I'm off to order some I hope.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Ordered. Thanks for the link. I'll think of you when I eat the first batch :D
Malcolm Cooper