Pheasant

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Pheasant

Post by malcolmcooper »

Hi, does anyone know where I might buy a Pheasant in the Alberes / Argeles Area please?
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Most decent butchers should have some hanging up Malcolm at this time of year, or at least be able to take an order. Or (and I'm so sorry cos I know that I shouldn't but I just can't help myself :oops: ) you could find a pheasant plucker....sorrrrrrrry, sorrrrrrrry 8)
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Kate has some good thoughts where to find a Pheasant but if this doesn't work, I know where there used to have fresh Pheasant at this time of the year.

Get onto the Voie Rapid leaving from Argeles towards Perpignan. You go past Elne and finally you get a soft turn right towards Perpignan. You'll see the big vet place and along the road there used to be birds being grown along that road. I thing that the property doesn't show anymore birds and there's big toys there instead but maybe they're still producing the birds. These birds are sold to the Chasseurs, which can be in season.

If the place isn't producing the birds, any hunter organization will tell where to get the birds-on their wings. If you buy any pheasant, normally you'll have to hang the bird in your garage for three or four days before it's ready for the meal.

I'm not sure how much a pheasant will cost. We paid about 35€ for a four kllo turkey. We have another meal coming for sunday and Francine just called me from Auchan. We wanted a small goose but this asked for 50€ for the greasy goose. It's only for three people and fifty euros is way too much money to eat. Auchan might have the pheasant too ~ give them a ring.

Good luck on your search.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

Not sure about pheasant malc , but if you head towards jonquera there are plenty of game birds available not only by the road side but in some commercial outlets as well, you can also get them "pret a manger"
Good luck :lol:
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

interiors66 wrote:Not sure about pheasant malc , but if you head towards jonquera there are plenty of game birds available not only by the road side but in some commercial outlets as well, you can also get them "pret a manger"Good luck :lol:
I thought that the Spanish authorities put those birds inside. There were some of them "pret a manger" on the crossroad towards Darnius.

Blackduff :wink: :wink:
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Kate wrote:Most decent butchers should have some hanging up Malcolm at this time of year, or at least be able to take an order. Or (and I'm so sorry cos I know that I shouldn't but I just can't help myself :oops: ) you could find a pheasant plucker....sorrrrrrrry, sorrrrrrrry 8)
I am not the pheasant plucker,
I'm the pheasant plucker's mate.
I am only plucking pheasants
Because the pheasant plucker's late.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Well I didn't get a Pheasant but I got a good giggle! Thanks folks.

The Pheasant wasn't for me and I needed to get it today or substitute with a really good free range Chicken which is what I did. Pity, any excuse to pick up a game bird!
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Come on Smiles. Say it three times quickly!

I wanted to put it in the Améliorez votre Anglais part of POL as the tongue twister but the mag designer Simon censors my rude bits. He's such a spoilsport, tho I have managed to sneak a few past him, like when the breathalisers were to be made law, and I entitled the article Compulsory Car Blow Jobs, and he didn't notice til it went to print. Teeeeee heeeeee, yah boooooo. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, glad you got your bird!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Pintade would have been a good substitute Malcolm.
Dylan
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Ooooh! what's a Pintade?

Whoops!, I know. I had it in the Hotel Catalan, Laroque a few times in the Summer. Very nice it was too. Guinea Fowl.
Malcolm Cooper

interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

[There were some of them "pret a manger" on the crossroad towards Darnius.

Blackduff :wink: :wink:[/quote]

I've also seen those ones and although they look free range I'm told by a friend that they aren't and they are full of preservatives!
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Malcolm Cooper

blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

interiors66 wrote:[There were some of them "pret a manger" on the crossroad towards Darnius.

Blackduff :wink: :wink:
I've also seen those ones and although they look free range I'm told by a friend that they aren't and they are full of preservatives![/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blackduff
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

Yes but they're in season all year round !!!!