Goose

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Anniseed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Goose

Post by Anniseed »

Hi

Does anyone know where I could buy a goose for xmas?

Thanks
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Important to know...do you mean a live one to fatten up (still plenty of time), or a fresh one, or a deep freeze one?
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

Either your local butchers will order one in for you or similarly so will the butchers in the supermarkets . I've bought one from our local carrefour previously
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I think they may have them in Intermarche now unless it is a massive duck!!
Dylan
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Auchan normally will have a good version of Geese but they're not ready until the last few weeks before Christmas.

A few years back, I cooked (okay it was my wife cooking) a goose per day for friends. This continued for seven days fixing geese. They're only enough for four people ~ the bones are left for making soup. These were Hungarian geese which I bought in Vienna while I travelled there. I cannot remember their size but I guess that they're normal. It was a nice meal, each time.

Maybe I'll start looking for a goose soon.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

We collected one a few years ago from Ferme Sainte Eulalie at Arboussols, in the hills not far from Vinca. Very good and free range but also very expensive!