2nd best restaurant in the world

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

2nd best restaurant in the world

Post by thumbelina »

:cry:
Last edited by thumbelina on Mon 20 Jun 2011 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
mariae
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: 2nd best restaurant in the world

Post by mariae »

thumbelina wrote:For those of you mourning the temporary closure of El Bulli, le Celler de Can Roca at Girona has just been awarded second place in the Best Restaurant in the world list, behind Danish restaurant Noma.

http://www.la-clau.net/info/6350/girona ... monde-6350

http://www.cellercanroca.com/PORTADA/intro_2.htm
Thanks for this link! I've always wanted to visit France and the good food is one of the reasons why I'm planning to go there, aside from the beautiful sceneries of course. I'm definitely going to try this place out and hopefully I get to taste everything, especially their specialty. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :)
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

mariae wrote:
thumbelina wrote:For those of you mourning the temporary closure of El Bulli, le Celler de Can Roca at Girona has just been awarded second place in the Best Restaurant in the world list, behind Danish restaurant Noma.

http://www.la-clau.net/info/6350/girona ... monde-6350

http://www.cellercanroca.com/PORTADA/intro_2.htm
Thanks for this link! I've always wanted to visit France and the good food is one of the reasons why I'm planning to go there, aside from the beautiful sceneries of course. I'm definitely going to try this place out and hopefully I get to taste everything, especially their specialty. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :)
Shame its in Spain then!

If you want to go there then you need to book about 3 months in advance.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Allan wrote:[Shame its in Spain then!

If you want to go there then you need to book about 3 months in advance.
As little as that,eh ? At least it's an improvement on the 18 months at El Bulli.....

Still too long for me,I'm afraid. I've usually no idea what I'm going to be doing in 3 days time; let alone 3 months !!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

2nd best

Post by Sue »

At the risk of being shot down in flames these type of places are usually overrated, overpriced and oversized plates with undersized portions!!
Dylan
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: 2nd best

Post by Allan »

Sue wrote:At the risk of being shot down in flames these type of places are usually overrated, overpriced and oversized plates with undersized portions!!
We have had this debate many times. I thought El Bulli was a fantastic experience and terrific value for money.

Just as it is great to see a sportsman or musician at the top of his game, it is also great to see a chef at the pinnacle of his profession.

Of course not all top end restaurants are wonderful but in my view culinary experiences that are unique are worth paying for. You don't go to places like that just for a meal so portion size is rarely a consideration. Similarly, plates are normally chosen to present the food as attractively as possible, not to leave it looking lonely in the middle of a vast open space.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

As Allan says, it's a debate that we have had many times, and which can never really be resolved because we each have such different criteria for defining a good restaurant.

Personally, I'm not much of a foodie, and would prefer a good old steak frites any time to all this trendy food. The quality of the company is far more important for me than the food. However, I do totally understand people who see an expensive and reputed restaurant as a whole experience in itself, in the same way that some might pay a fortune to see their fave football club, or travel across the world to a concert or the Olympics etc.

If I wasn't such a little fatty, I might well be more interested in food, but more than one course heads straight to my chins! :lol:
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

Not quite as difficult to find as the pricing on Ryanair but here is the direct link to what it would cost ..........

I never managed it to El Bulli but from memory I think you could eat there for quite a bit less than an hundred notes a throw ?

http://www.cellercanroca.com/CUINA/menus_2.htm
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

rhys wrote:Not quite as difficult to find as the pricing on Ryanair but here is the direct link to what it would cost ..........

I never managed it to El Bulli but from memory I think you could eat there for quite a bit less than an hundred notes a throw ?

http://www.cellercanroca.com/CUINA/menus_2.htm
I was at El Bulli a couple of years ago at it was only €5 a course - you did however have to be served 35 of them.

In comparison to other similarly graded restaurants, the Celler Can Roca is relatively inexpensive. The nearest Michelin 3 star in France is the Auberge du Vieux Puits in the Corbieres and that is more expensive
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Not remotely in the same league, but we had a lovely lunch at Le Chalet de l'Albere, Col d'Ouillat, last week with our daughter and her beloved.

Food was very good, and a wide choice, with a special mention for the desert - the best tarte tatin I've ever tasted. The service was excellent, and most welcoming. The toddler who greeted us by barking, and the 2 gorgeous peaceable dogs added to our pleasure.

62 euros for 4 people, 2 courses, including a round of drinks.

And views to die for. Memorable for our guests, and so also for us.

There are great walks to be had from there, including up to Neolous, , where the tv mast dominates the Alberes.

We had just visited the Fort Bellegarde, and so to be able to look across the valley, and DOWN on that, was awe-inspiring. Not our first visit up that way, but our first lunch at the chalet. Will definitely repeat the experience
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

sue and paul wrote:Not remotely in the same league, but we had a lovely lunch at Le Chalet de l'Albere, Col d'Ouillat, last week with our daughter and her beloved.

62 euros for 4 people, 2 courses, including a round of drinks.
Sounds far more my cup of tea price wise,Sue,than any Bulli/Can Roca type place. !

The only problem has been each time we've been up there,it's been closed,and no info shown re opening hours. Do you happen to have this info,or a phone number etc ?
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

April to end of September - open every day

October to end of March - closed Sunday eve and Monday

Evenings for bookings only

04 68 83 62 20
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

and...of course...I meant deSSert...how could I make such a mistake :lol:

did you know that desserts, spelt backwards, is stressed. One thing leads to another....
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

sue and paul wrote:and...of course...I meant deSSert...how could I make such a mistake :lol:

did you know that desserts, spelt backwards, is stressed. One thing leads to another....
Come on ,you teachers...what is the name for a word that spells something else backwards?

I know a palindrome is something that reads the same both ways ....eg Madam, and Able was I ere I saw Elba.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

semordnilap - it's palindromes, spelt backwards.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Its an anadrome

Is the Le Chalet de l'Albere, Col d'Ouillat the one part way up the Pic de Neoulous

We ate at a chalet on that road but I don't recall it being near the top or having views - good food at a chalet in the woods - is it the same place?
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

john wrote:
sue and paul wrote:and...of course...I meant deSSert...how could I make such a mistake :lol:

Come on ,you teachers...what is the name for a word that spells something else backwards?

I know a palindrome is something that reads the same both ways ....eg Madam, and Able was I ere I saw Elba.
"Madam, I'm Adam" is the full version - (It's how he announced himself to Eve, I believe)
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Allan wrote:Its an anadrome

Is the Le Chalet de l'Albere, Col d'Ouillat the one part way up the Pic de Neoulous

We ate at a chalet on that road but I don't recall it being near the top or having views - good food at a chalet in the woods - is it the same place?
The very one

The views are to be had from the terrasse dining area.

semordnilap was coined by linguist Dmitri Borgmann. Anadrome is simply an emordana :lol:
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Allan wrote:Its an anadrome
Of course it is. Thanks Allan.

Isn't that something to do with fish (sturgeon ?) too?
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

This is the ONE we are talking about :-

http://www.tourisme-leboulou.fr/sejour/hebergement
or http://lalbere.net/quelsServices/Chalet.htm

Then click on ( Gites d etape )..
The map link sends you to the wrong place - you need the Green Arrow !!
Then you are able to look down onto the top of Fort de Bellegarde ...!!
you are at approx. 960 m and on a clear day the view has to be seen - Canigou and beyond...

Hope the link works - Paul...