Spanish Restaurants in Girona and around

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Spanish Restaurants in Girona and around

Post by Santiago »

A few recommendations from recent trips to Spain.

Yesterday we ate at a place called The River Cafe in Girona, right on the steps of the Cathedral. It's a Springteen-themed bar, which if you are as big a fan as me, is very appealing. Each dish is named after a Springsteen song and in the evenings it becomes a music bar. The food is good and fresh. It's café food but well presented and lots of choice. 3 course lunch on Sunday is 16€, 11€ in the week. They also have a good range of beers including Giorona's micro-brewery, Moska.

A bit more upscale is the Torre Laurentii hotel and restaurant in the pretty town of Sant Lorenc de la Muga. This was a real find. It's run by a couple from Miami. The food and the setting were fabulous. The wine list has the best of the region and the whole package is very attractively priced. About €25 a head for lunch with wine and drinks. We compared the lunch here with Maison de Terroir in Maury and Torre Laurentii came out ahead on all counts. I'm planning a weekend break there in the very attractive boutique hotel.

Another nice small hotel with fine food is Hotel Alexanders in Timariu. The cooking is done by a young chef who creates a fusion of Peruvian and Japanese cuisines. It may sound weird but the results are very succesful. Again, for the quality, the price is pretty reasonable, roughly €30 a head for for dinner - 3 courses, wine, coffee, breads and water.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Thanks for that, Santiago.
Too late for this season since we are off to England soon but will save those details - sounds really good.
Have a brother who is a Springsteen fanatic (even called one of his sons Bruce) so he would love to visit that first one next time he's staying with us.
Eamon Avis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Eamon Avis »

We must visit The River Café in Girona as we are also great fans of Bruce. We saw him and the E Street Band at the Nou Camp in Barcelona in 2008. It was a fantastic show and the atmosphere in the stadium was fabulous.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Sounds good. And named after one of the best albums in the world ever. :D
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I named a couple of my wines after Bruce songs. Last time we had an open day, l'Independant wrote about it and this guy who has a record shop in Perpignan called Thunder Road came. He's France's major producer of Springsteen bootlegs and has seen him 54 times!
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

that's cool.

I know Empty Sky, what's the other one?
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

The Promised Land