Spaghetti with chilli prawns

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Colin L

Spaghetti with chilli prawns

Post by Colin L »

Dead simple to make and scrummy to eat! It's supposed to feed 4, but 3 of us have just scoffed the lot. :oops:

400g spaghetti
2 tbsp olive oil
400g king prawns
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp chopped red chilli (de-seeded)
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp capers (rinsed)
Tbsp or more chopped parsley

Cook the pasta according to pack instructions. Meanwhile heat a frying pan and add olive oil. When hot, add the prawns with plenty of seasoning and cook on a high heat for a couple of minutes, then add the garlic and chilli and cook for a further couple of minutes before adding the lemon juice and capers.

Drain the pasta and return to the pan. Stir through the prawn mixture with the parsley, a drizzle more olive oil and some seasoning, Serve immediately.
edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by edann42 »

Just our sort of thing! Will try it later in the week! Sounds like a good 'supper dish' for entertaining! Thanks!
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

miam, miam!
Serge

Post by Serge »

or ............

Cook the Spag as described, then go to the freezer remove packet of Birds Eye 'Simply' Chilli Prawns, cook for 20 mins in a hot oven and serve ........... :wink:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I do think that frozen or suposedly pre cooked meals are more of a pain than making the real thing...........I'll bet that Colins dish did not take much more than 20 mins to prepare, and would not be packed with sugars, preservatives and additives;

Oh by the way frozen Tiger prawns are on promo this week in Carrefour, 3.90 for 800 grammes, or you could buy Fresh ones 60/80 at the counter 5.90 per kilo
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

It's probably really obvious but what does 60/80 on a packet of prawns mean?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Serge

Post by Serge »

Chilli tests ............ why would you????????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COOJ4dyC ... re=channel

... there is a possibility of the odd 'naughty word' in the video.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

60 - 80 pieces to the kilo
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

thumbelina wrote:60 - 80 pieces to the kilo
Correct. thats why the lower this figure,the more expensive they are. Saw some absolutely ENORMOUS ones in Le Boulou fish shop the other week. I think their figure was 10-20. Snag?? They were 45€ a kilo!

There's a restaurant in St Cyp that does something very similar to Colin's recipe. Yummy.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

If you like meals like the one Colin fixed, have a look at the videos from this girl.

http://www.chinghehuang.com/books.php

I have one of her books and I use the recipes almost two or three times per week. They're great. She has some recipes which are similar to Colin's meal.

I ordered another book from her and maybe I will try one more too.

You need to have the right ingredients but when you have them, it's easy to fix something quick.

Also, since special ingredients needed, I wanted to tell you that the Asia Market (near the Carrefour in Argeles) is working fine and the prices are good. I was also at the Asia Center in Mas Guerido and they're in inventory prior to selling to new proprietors. This should happen over this weekend.

Maybe the prices will drop but it will not happen before the pigs fly.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Serge wrote:or ............

Cook the Spag as described, then go to the freezer remove packet of Birds Eye 'Simply' Chilli Prawns, cook for 20 mins in a hot oven and serve ........... :wink:
If you like, but probably at greater cost for less fresh flavours - plus all the other stuff as Opas mentions. Fresh cooking is worth the effort.

By the way, if you are using frozen prawns make sure they are well thawed and dried before frying them - otherwise you will have so much water that they stew instead.
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

How do I get to the new Asia Market if I am at Carrefour in Argeles? Would like to try it out.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Rose wrote:How do I get to the new Asia Market if I am at Carrefour in Argeles? Would like to try it out.
At the main entrance coming out of Carrefour turn right,as if you are headed for Argeles Ville,and it's about 400 m on your right,;one of a big parade of shops(there is a bakery,and a frozen food place also). Been once myself. It's quite good,but not as much selection as the one on Mas Guerido.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

spaghetti chilli prawns

Post by Sue »

Blackduff have you tried Ching He Huang's cod in chilli bean sauce it is wonderful. Even my husband who is not a fish eater raves about it. I have been downloading the recipes of the internet from her latest tv series.

Rose the Asian Market at Argeles is in the road between Carrefour car park and the main road into Argeles town. There is also and electrical shop, bakers, opticians at the far end a vets.
Dylan
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

John gave a good discription to get there. There's a micro-brewery, a Vet's office, there's a bakery, there's also a fish shop nearby. You can find a voyage office too. All of these places are on the service road on the Route National. It's just before you get to the Carrefour parking area.

The owner is Chinese and gives a lot of ideas. She can order almost anything you need. The fresh produce is delilvered twice per week. The produce is fresher than the Asia Center, in some instances. I still buy at both places, since certain products are not here in Argeles.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

Thanks all.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

If anyone is interested I have 2 x 430gr jars of Amoy Sweet soy and oriental vegetables; cooking sauce , suggestions are for pork or chicken.

We bought 3 of these in the UK last year , the best befor date is Nov 2009, we had had something similar before and thought we would try this one, none of us liked it. We are used to home cooking.

the tamper seal is still intact so should be OK

Free to a good home;
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.