El Bulli closing?

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

I thought I had answered the question John?

I'm not attacking you John, just stating my opinion about the general theme of the thread.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Fair enough,rbg,thanks for that,but I'm just looking for a little more detail. You see,I just do not understand what it is that would make people move heaven and earth /spend a kings ransom to dine at this place,and am looking for some help in doing so. Your first answer did not help me much.

Some folk (I'm not suggesting you!) make bold statements such as yours,much in the same way as do political parties who have no prospect of ever being in power make wild promises/claims,on the basis that they know they'll never be required to fulfil them.

I'm just trying to see what your personal motivation is for making such a strong endorsement. Nothing more really.
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

I think it's all about what rocks your boat. For me, that is food ( among other things, I hastily add)
I would sacrifice 10 mediocre meals out to have the experience of dining in what is supposedly the best restaurant in the world. I'm not saying it would be the best dining experience I would ever have, I may not even like it , but it would be An Experience.
If going to a soccer match rocks your boat, then spend your money travelling to see it. If buying a fancy watch is your thing or having the latest handbag, then it is your perogative to spend your hard earned cash on same.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

rbg wrote:I think it's all about what rocks your boat. For me, that is food ( among other things, I hastily add)
I would sacrifice 10 mediocre meals out to have the experience of dining in what is supposedly the best restaurant in the world. I'm not saying it would be the best dining experience I would ever have, I may not even like it , but it would be An Experience.
If going to a soccer match rocks your boat, then spend your money travelling to see it. If buying a fancy watch is your thing or having the latest handbag, then it is your perogative to spend your hard earned cash on same.
Fair points,well made,and you are honest enough to say that you may not even like it when you get there!

I guess that if your dining year consists entirely of hurried,mediocre meals,then one trip to Bulli might be a fair exchange.

Speaking personally, I try to eat well(though it would be untrue to suggest that there haven't been some mediocre ones!),sometimes memorably,usually with good friends/family,over a period of time. To even consider sacrificing these highly valued social moments just to eat once at Bulli is unthinkable for me,but,as you say,it is a VERY personal thing.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

John
Check this site.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/to ... try1726315

These people will be at El Bulli when Karen is there too. This group, egullet.org or egullet.com will celebrate the opening the new restaurant. Then it will give a "special" time to have a meal together.

Believe me, it will not be alone at the table that day. You might even find me down the table from Karen.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Sorry,BD,don't really follow that.Nor do I understand the ramblings of the people on that site. What are you suggesting?
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

John
What I'm saying is that Karen isn't alone in wanting to spend this much money at El Bulli. Most of the people at this site (egullet) feel similar. They would give up a bunch of mediocre meals to be able to spend the money to eat in Roses.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

blackduff wrote:John
They would give up a bunch of mediocre meals to be able to spend the money to eat in Roses.

Blackduff
Where does it say that BD? I can't see anyone on there saying that. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Please advise.

BTW,I don't think anyone IS suggesting that there aren't people willing to spend big bucks on eating there. Just not me,that's all.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

An interesting piece on EB in today's "Times".

Quite well balanced I feel. Doesn't have the sycophancy of the Bulli lovers such as Allan and Jon,but perhaps a more objective view than the scepticism of myself and others.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... t=0&page=1
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

john wrote:An interesting piece on EB in today's "Times".

Quite well balanced I feel. Doesn't have the sycophancy of the Bulli lovers such as Allan and Jon,but perhaps a more objective view than the scepticism of myself and others.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... t=0&page=1
John, I enjoyed reading the article but why on earth do you have to include nasty little snide remarks? There is nothing sycophantic about my view and if you knew what the word meant then you might realise just how offensive your comment is.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Allan,please do me the courtesy of acknowledging that I know what the word means.It is a perfectly normal English word. Why it is offensive,goodness only knows.

You have been unstinting in your praise of Adria.Gushing ,in fact. I have tried to suggest that,perhaps, I am being a little hyper-sceptical of the guy. But clearly you have entrenched views. I'm sorry I brought it to your attention. Obviously ,anyone who dares to utter even the mildest criticism of the culinary "god" is persona non-grata.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

john wrote:Allan,please do me the courtesy of acknowledging that I know what the word means.It is a perfectly normal English word. Why it is offensive,goodness only knows.

You have been unstinting in your praise of Adria.Gushing ,in fact. I have tried to suggest that,perhaps, I am being a little hyper-sceptical of the guy. But clearly you have entrenched views. I'm sorry I brought it to your attention. Obviously ,anyone who dares to utter even the mildest criticism of the culinary "god" is persona non-grata.
John I merely gave you the benefit of the doubt, assuming that you wouldn't gratuitously call someone a 'boot licker' simply because they admire a restaurant and it's chef. My response to your comment has nothing to do with your views on El Bulli, I simply didn't like being insulted.
Hibou2

Post by Hibou2 »

Can we call it a day now, gents?

Hibou2
Serge

Post by Serge »

HB2,
So it's OK for one of the long standing regulars to post what I consider to be a nasty personal attack on another member (who used to be very popular, but chooses not to post on here anymore), but two grown up's that are having nothing more than a squabble and are quite capable of sorting it out themselves, get a warning ................. :?

...unreal :roll:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

So you kissed the Frog and made up :lol:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Serge wrote:HB2,
So it's OK for one of the long standing regulars to post what I consider to be a nasty personal attack on another member (who used to be very popular, but chooses not to post on here anymore), but two grown up's that are having nothing more than a squabble and are quite capable of sorting it out themselves, get a warning ................. :?

...unreal :roll:
Tend to agree Serge. I do hope we are not entering one of those silly periods of over-regulation.

If it was important,I'd argue the toss over it. But it's not even about a restaurant. It's about a report about a restaurant/meal out,for Gawd's sake. And the use of one word.Life's too short.
Hibou2

Post by Hibou2 »

It wasn't a warning - it was a plea. Have a good week one and all
H2
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

Dear me, I've only been away for a few days and they are at it again!

Saw something about the El Bulli Gaffer running Food physics courses for a term at Harvard.

I can't remember where I saw it but it may slot in with the temporary closure ?
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Serge

Post by Serge »

Santiago wrote:Image
"Can you tell what it is yet" ................... :lol:
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

.......Can you tell WHO it is yet?

:lol:
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Serge

Post by Serge »

Santiago wrote:.......Can you tell WHO it is yet?

:lol:
HB2? :?
Hibou2

Post by Hibou2 »

Water off an owl's back!
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

H2O then?
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Kathy wrote:H2O then?
U2RAx2>US2
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Serge

Post by Serge »

opas wrote:
Kathy wrote:H2O then?
U2RAx2>US2
So,

You two are (???) greater than us two .......... what's the Ax2 mean?

.........sorry, I'm just a simple Northerner .... :oops:
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

well I'm a simple Midlander, cos I can't get that bit either! :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

A double (act)

> more than, Not greater than :lol:
Debeneur.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

:?: :?:
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

polremy wrote::?: :?:
You and me both Pol.

They lost me several posts back!