Asia Market in Argeles

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Asia Market in Argeles

Post by blackduff »

There's a new shop opening in Argeles sur Mer. This is located on the route nationale just before the Carrefour. Their sign says they will open December 8th which will be tomorrow. I saw the people stacking products in the shelves.

Roughly I think it's smaller than the Asia Center in Mas Guerido but it's just an estimate. I'll pass there again tomorrow and see what they're selling.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

Thanks BD, sounds interesting!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Asia Market

Post by Sue »

You beat me to it Blackduff. I passed it this morning and was going to post it. I am need of some spices and was going to The Asian Centre so will give this new one a try instead.
Dylan
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Thanks for the info, BD. We often get stuff from Asia Centre Mas Guerido, and somewhere nearer home would be great.

I sometimes trawl the 'produits du monde' and 'produits exotiques' of other supermarkets, but stocks are patchy to say the least, and even when I find some good curry ingredients etc, they don't replenish stocks, so not reliable.

I'll pop down there too tomorrow. I'm assuming you mean in the row of shops on the left before Carrefour, going from Argeles town direction , having passed Gifi, Picard and the Codona (?) brewery....
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

This is excellent news. Gradually,the range of general goods on offer in the likes of Boulou,Ceret,Argeles etc is becoming very wide.

I'm finding that I hardly need to go to Perpignan these days. before,if you wanted anything outside bog-standard stuff you had to traipse there and the inherent traffic,parking ,queues etc. But now most of what you want is available much closer to home.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Asia Market

Post by Sue »

I think its in a road just behind those shops Sue but if Blackduff has driven past it he will know more. I drove along the Route Nationale this morning and happened to see Asian Market painted on the end wall of the first of those shops you talk about (a hairdressers I think) as you come from the direction of Argeles village.
Dylan
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Thanks, I'm sure I can find it. I'll just inhale to get the yummy curry fumes. It's the bit I like most about going into Asia Centre. :lol: :lol:
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

The place is located in the center of the strips of shops. This is just past the vet place. I think it's just next to the boulangerie. I saw a lot of shelves with bottles but I'm hoping for fresh produce too. I need my Thai basil for my weekly Thai Beef With Basil recipe. Miamm!

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Well, it's not as big as the Asia Center nor does it have the same type of qualilty of the products but it's not fully stocked yet. It will take a few weeks before everything arrives.

I did find a few new items which will please my cupboard.

It's worth a look if you're in that area. The sizes of the bottles seem smaller than what I buy (always liter size) but maybe bigger version will arrive.

Anyway, it's a new source.

Blackduff
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

blackduff wrote:. The sizes of the bottles seem smaller than what I buy (always liter size) but maybe bigger version will arrive.

Blackduff
Blimey BD ,you really are SERIOUS about your curry addiction,aren't you?!

It reminds me of when we go to the States. There they only sell milk by the gallon; I mean,who drinks that much milk?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Asian Market

Post by Sue »

Blackduff were you leaving here at about 12 this morning. I was going in at that time and there was an british gentleman leaving with his wife . As you say not fully stocked yet. I mentioned that I would like cumin seeds and green cardamon pods. This was immediately written in a note book and I was told they would get them in. Heres hoping. Think it will be ok once they get off the groind although a little bare at the mo.
Dylan
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Asian Market

Post by john »

Sue wrote:Blackduff were you leaving here at about 12 this morning. I was going in at that time and there was an british gentleman leaving with his wife .
If the guy you saw was laden down with industrial sized bottles and jars of curry paste,thai sauces,spices,chutneys and the like,Sue,then I guess it probably was our very own BD !!!!!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I was there a bit earlier. Maybe I was there about 11:00 hr.

The woman said she will get anything she can bring but I'll see what she stocks first. John laughs at my wanting for liter bottles but why not. I hate to say this but I always have a second liter bottle in my pantry. JUST IN CASE! When you need a true fix for Oyster Sauce, what could a person do? LOL

Blackduff
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

"....there was an british gentleman leaving with his wife "....

That was no gentleman, that was Paul :lol: :lol: (and me in bright pink fleece!)

I did actually look hard at you Sue, because I thought I recognised you...I think we met on the ladies' night out in summer in Argelès.

Anyway, we thought that for her first day the charming young lady was doing very well. It's true that some of her stocks were low, but she is expecting more in any day. As well as many culinary items, she has Tsaongsao (sp?) beers for the authentic touch to your Chinese dinner party. Don't forget it's Chinese New Year in the not too distant future.

We're really pleased that there is somewhere nearer than Mas Guerido - she is not connected to them in any way. I asked if she would be having any fresh produce in...yes....and freezer stock will be arriving soon for nems etc.

I also managed to convince her of the demand down here from Anglophones, who like a bit more in the medium-hot flavour-zone than the French

Oh...and she took some PO-Life magazines, so go and get a copy before they run out!
Last edited by sue and paul on Tue 08 Dec 2009 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Just pulling your leg BD. I agree that it does not do to run out when this sort of stuff is concerned.

We used to bring all the curry paraphenalia back in our handluggage on trips to UK,but since the no liquids in hand luggage business and Ryanair's stingy allowance,we've had to knock that on the head.

That's why this place in Argeles could be a Godsend.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

john wrote:Just pulling your leg BD. I agree that it does not do to run out when this sort of stuff is concerned.

We used to bring all the curry paraphenalia back in our handluggage on trips to UK,but since the no liquids in hand luggage business and Ryanair's stingy allowance,we've had to knock that on the head.

That's why this place in Argeles could be a Godsend.
The liquids bit is supposed to end from next February (as I wrote somewhere in another thread). Whether Mr OL will comply (as it could mean less revenue from on board sales!) is another question.

Annaïck and Alizée will be taking a week in London starting 4th Feb, so they'll be testing it - however, with Easyjet from MPL as there's no way they would pay all those charges!! Means I have to drive a little further than Carcassonne airport - but at least they land in Gatwick and can take the express to Victoria!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Asian Market

Post by Sue »

You should have spoken Sue. I was busy trying to earwig your conversation as to whether they are connected to the Asian Centre. She is indeed a very pleasant young lady and I came away with some black cardamon pods with the promise, as I said before, green ones to follow. I also had a packet of duck rub for my xmas duck. As I only live a 10 or 15 minutes walk away across the vine fields or a 2/3 minute drive it is very convenient for me.
Dylan
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Asian Market

Post by john »

Sue wrote:. I also had a packet of duck rub for my xmas duck. .
Give us the lowdown on this delicacy Sue;or is it a secret?

I'm always looking for new things to do with poultry (no smutty remarks please).
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

"....You should have spoken Sue...."

Yeah, I know I should, sorry. I wish I had. I'm not even what you might call 'shy'! I kinda thought... 'I think I've met her before'...you know...but we were on the way out, with our goodies, all excited-like!!

We bought some fish sauce seasoning, some balti paste and some seasoning for spicy duck. We have some fish-eating vegans coming for dinner soon, so they'll be our guinea pigs!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Asian Market

Post by Sue »

No secret John. Its called Roast Duck Seasoning Mix and cost a mighty 88 cents! The instructions are in english so a no brainer. Rinse duck and pat dry. Sprinkle contents of packet on duck rub thoroughly inside and out and leave for 1 hr roast as normal. Suggested uses: Turkey, chicken and birds. So if you have any birds coming for xmas invest in a packet of this mix.

Looking at the E ingredients and would suggest it is not served to anyone already hyperactive!!!
Dylan
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Thanks for that,Sue; I take your point about E numbers,but when the kids come they consume vast quantities of jelly sweets sourced in Spain,and full of enough E numbers to keep a whole army of EU bureaucrats in business for months,so that some more rubbed on their poultry isn't going to make much difference!

It sounds a bit like Knorr "Wurz Mix Condi Mix" that we get in Switzerland,that you rub into meat before roasting/grilling. I'm sure this reference will be making Roger go all gooey-eyed.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

sue and paul wrote:"....You should have spoken Sue...."

Yeah, I know I should, sorry. I wish I had. I'm not even what you might call 'shy'! I kinda thought... 'I think I've met her before'...you know...but we were on the way out, with our goodies, all excited-like!!

We bought some fish sauce seasoning, some balti paste and some seasoning for spicy duck. We have some fish-eating vegans coming for dinner soon, so they'll be our guinea pigs!
I was on the Motley Fool - uk for the food board - yesterday. Someone posted about worms in the cod. My eyes opened a bit more, since I had a chunk of cod for my supper meal. Of course, I turned the local General about this problem, hoping she would fix this worm search. Well, I did get the fish last night but I never got a firm answer about the worm search but the general wasn't happy with the information. I think this is like the messenger gets killed. The thread kept going and it's a true problem and not just for cod.

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mi ... recscode=2

And yes, my cod was very tasty last night.

Blackduff
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

This "worms in cod" story did the rounds in UK some years ago,BD. A fishmonger friend of mine in Lowestoft told me it killed his cod trade for a few weeks,but then it got forgotten about,as these things have a habit of doing.

He told me that they are pretty harmless ,and cooking/ curing finishes the little blighters off. Personally,it doesnt seem to make much diffference where it's bought,but I've never seen what all the fuss is about cod. I find it rather bland and insipid. I had some last week in the form of fish and chips in the UK,and my wife's plaice was much nicer.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

john wrote:It sounds a bit like Knorr "Wurz Mix Condi Mix" that we get in Switzerland,that you rub into meat before roasting/grilling. I'm sure this reference will be making Roger go all gooey-eyed.
Sorry, John, never used the stuff! Thyme, oregano, garlic, freshly ground black pepper and a little salt are more our "style"..
Cheers,
Roger
john wrote:... and my wife's plaice was much nicer.
Yes, plaice, fresh mackerel, properly done "soused" mackerel, ray "wing" with caper sauce made with butter... now you're talking!
Course, my in-laws are motoring down from Brittany for new Year so it'll be langoustines, coquille St Jacques à la bretonne, Anré's special recipe dorade "en masse" and other "goodies". Every time they come down here we clear out at least two drawers in the freezer in anticipation. André (a veteran scuba hunter) catches them himself around "Les Glénan"!!
One thing lacking off the LR coast is a mass of offshore islands with white beaches which abound in Bretagne - if it wern't for the weather up there...
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I dropped in here this week and have to confess to being mightily disappointed.

From the postings already on the thread I'd expected a slightly smaller version of the Asia Centre at Mas Guerido, but it wasn't.

The shelves were only half stocked and I didn't find the variety particularly wide or inspiring.

If I need this sort of thing, I'm afraid I shall keep going back to one of the shops in Perpi.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I do live near to the Asia Market, so it's easier to buy there. But, I have found that I can ask the woman to order the items I need and they're ready in a couple of days.

I normally buy a few items at the Asia Center in Mas Guerido each week. But, since the Asia Market is closer, I tend to buy locally. Plus, the prices are cheaper (same product and same brand). I find that the fresh produce is fresher, if you can say this.

Also when I visit to the Asia Market, I can drive around the building and say hello Malcolm at Coopers Epicerie.

Blackduff
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

[quote="thumbelina"]I dropped in here this week and have to confess to being mightily disappointed.

From the postings already on the thread I'd expected a slightly smaller version of the Asia Centre at Mas Guerido, but it wasn't.

The shelves were only half stocked and I didn't find the variety particularly wide or inspiring.

I agree with you thumbelina i found the shelves were less than half stocked too and was disappointed but it's ok if you live locally like BD and can order stuff in, When in Argeles i would certainly go there if i need Asian ingredients and if we don't use it we'll lose it, Perhaps thats the problem at the moment not enough people using it and therefore carrying very little stock.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

[quote="mand"]
I agree with you thumbelina i found the shelves were less than half stocked too and was disappointed but it's ok if you live locally like BD and can order stuff in, When in Argeles i would certainly go there if i need Asian ingredients and if we don't use it we'll lose it, Perhaps thats the problem at the moment not enough people using it and therefore carrying very little stock.[/quote]

Often there's only "one sample" of a type but it's more of a learning method. The brands change and more common ones appear on the shelves. Also, the size of the bottles increase in sizes too.

There's another change too. The Asia Center in Mas Guerido has changed hands and the two owners are shifting the products about too. Some brands have changed and maybe it's good but it could be bad too.

I do find quite a few customers each time I visit. This will become better and better for all of us.

Blackduff