Where to find great seafood platters by the coast?

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Neil & Sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Where to find great seafood platters by the coast?

Post by Neil & Sue »

Could anyone recommend a great place to have seafood platters by the coast - anywhere between Barcares and Banyuls?
Serge

Post by Serge »

Le Chalut in Port Vendres - bit pricy but well worth it (IMHO).
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

What do you mean by a "seafood platter" Neil? Are we talking a mixed fish/shelfish grill (parillade de poissons) or a cold shellfish extravaganza (plateau de fruits de mer) ?
Neil & Sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Neil & Sue »

a cold shellfish extravaganza...I like that, that's what I meant. sue
joffan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by joffan »

We recently prepared ourselves a seafood platter as a treat.

We went to the fish market and picked up one or 2 items then went to Auchan and completed our selection.

We chose, oyster, mussels, prawns, scallops, clams, bulots, crab and others.

We then looked up recipes on the internet for each item and it's accompaniments and wine.

It was a great experience cooking all the different shellfish with a few glasses of wine and then we served it on a huge platter. The fish was expensive but less that half of what we would have paid in a restaurant and probably twice as much food.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

As a halfway house,any poissonerie will make a plateau up for you to take home. Beautifully presented with all the sauces etc,it is a good deal cheaper than a restaurant.

But I'd agree with Serge,the Chalut takes some beating for quality price and atmosphere. Having said that ,there are countless places that do these,and they are always pretty good. La Tonelle in st Cyprien plage certainly used to do an all you can eat shellfish buffet that featured most of the stuff on a plateau. It used to be about 20€ per head.

Otherwise price seems to totally depend on whether you want crab/lobster on it.
Neil & Sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Neil & Sue »

That is brilliant. Thanks everyone, I've been meaning to try Le Chalut as heard so many good things about it so now I have one more excuse! Love the idea of making your own platter too and sorting out the wine to go with it, sounds like a fun thing to do.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Some friends have just been recommended a new restaurant in Port Vendres though I havent tried it myself.
They (the restaurant) have promised a free apero for PO Life readers and their parillades royale de poisson is apparently excellent - an assortment of fresh fish…… dorade, loup, shellfish, according to the catch of the day.
The owners are from Gascony, and they do regional specialities from both here (Escalivade, Boles de Picolat......) and there (pareillade de canard, magret au foie gras .....)
They also have a panoramic terrace, with superb views across the port.
If anybody goes there, do let us know what it's llike. I am told that prices are reasonable - menus begin at 14€ but don't know about the rest.

CÔTE MER CÔTE GERS
3bis rue Jules Pams
66660 Port Vendres
Tel: 04 68 98 00 88
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I had decent seafood at Bleu Marine in Port Argeles the other week. Les Pappallonas was closed (Monday lunch) so had to make do.

The wine was shit. First glass was corked. Replacement OK but then the numpty tried to serve me the first wine again for my second glass. I had a cool-box full of something really special 8) so wasn't that bothered. In fact it turned out to be a really cheap corkage charge :lol: :lol:

As an alternative, one of the best Parilladas I've had was in a slightly tacky-looking glass-enclosed restaurant in Port de la Selva. Right on the front.

There is also a goodish beach bar at Toreilles Plages. Not cheap and the service is a bit nonchalent but decent food and fantastic sunset.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Jackie E
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jackie E »

Santiago - do you mean Casa Pardal on the north beach at Torreilles Plages? It's one of our favourites - Greek taverna like in style, v laid back, good value for money and ideal in the middle of a lazy day on the beach!
http://www.restaurant-lacasapardal.com/anglais/menu.htm

For plateau de fruits de mer, the fish market in Port Vendres is great fun - you can watch them make it up and have some tasters at the same time!
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

Love the translations on the menu page of the Casa Pardal:

cheek peas
mussels with parsil
fiches for fish
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

lol - and the thyme bay leave and green lemons, too!!!

All joking aside, the menu looks lovely!!! :D
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Rose wrote:Love the translations on the menu page of the Casa Pardal:

cheek peas
mussels with parsil
fiches for fish

and the small pasta "espically" done

for "hat neal"!!!
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

Have a French friend staying with me at the moment who asked her 86 year old mother-in law if she was eating raped cheese the other day!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

It was called Baraquette. Not tried the other one. To be honest Toreilles Plage a long drive home for me so I'm hoping to find something good closer to home like at Racou or Argeles
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Santiago wrote:It was called Baraquette. Not tried the other one. To be honest Toreilles Plage a long drive home for me so I'm hoping to find something good closer to home like at Racou or Argeles
You're welcome to crash out in our spare bedroom - 2km away from the beach.
Bring your coolbox though!
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

thumbelina wrote:lol - and the thyme bay leave and green lemons, too!!!

All joking aside, the menu looks lovely!!! :D
Literal translation citron vert = lime

Better tell them - and make sure they don't write Limeys on the menu!!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.