Michelin Star restaurants

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Michelin Star restaurants

Post by rbg »

Can anyone confirm that the Park Hotel in Perpignan and le Relais des Trois Mas in Collioure are the only two restaurants in the region with Michelin stars?
Has anyone tried Le Relais des Trois Mas and what was it like?
Merci!
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Unless it has lost it, La Galinette (23 rue Jean Payra) has a star
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Didn't think the Park Hotel had one (unless it's very recently been awarded). The same applies to Des Trois Mas. In Collioure,the Neptune did have one,but may have lost it due to the chef walking out.

One you've forgotten is Almandin at La Lagune in St Cyprien. Colin is correct about Galinette.
Anthea & Tim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Michelin Stars in PO

Post by Anthea & Tim »

Le restaurant l’Almandin, Hotel L'Île de la Lagune, St Cyprien has had 1 star for some 15 years.

Also La Galinette 23 r. Jean Payra F - 66000 Perpignan has 1 star

Full list of Michelin Stars is at http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/ ... r/Tourisme
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

Thanks guys

After further research , I've found this:

Pascal Borrell à Maury (Pyrénées-Orientales) - La Galinette à Perpignan (Pyrénées-Orientales) - Parc Hôtel à Perpignan (Pyrénées-Orientales) - L’Ile de la Lagune à Saint Cyprien (Pyrénées-Orientales) - Le Relais des Trois Mas à Collioure (Pyrénées-Orientales).

But I thought the maison de terroir has lost its star?

I'm looking for a Mich star resto for a group of yanks, pref somewhere with a view.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I, too, thought the Maison de Terroir had lost its star rbg
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

rbg wrote: ....... pref somewhere with a view.
Well, not La Galinette then.
Carmen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Carmen »

How about La Balette ??? Not a bad view !!!
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Colin L wrote:
rbg wrote: ....... pref somewhere with a view.
Well, not La Galinette then.
I'd agree with Colin. If it's GOT to have a Mich Star and its GOT to have a view,then you're only real choice is Balette or Almandin.

Personally I find Americans are far more impressed by Michelin stars than Europeans. There are plenty of unstarred places that you'll eat splendidly in that area for a lot less money,and the food/service will be better than those with a star.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Karen, why not try Las Papallonas, Argeles Port. The guy trained with Gordon Ramsey and by all accounts his language is just as colourful but with a French accent! :lol: Americans like colour don't they??! :wink:
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

Thanks everyone, I can always rely on ye!
I think I'll go with Collioure as they have specifically requested Mich star .. looking at the prices, I will be munching a baguette on the beach and won't be joining them though!
Must try out les Papallonas soon too ..
Will report back ( not on the baguette but what the yankees thought!)
mwana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mwana »

I love the relais de trois mas, I wrote a review on it, it is absolutely my favourite restaurant ever, not least because of the maitre d'.

Mwana
Puddles
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Puddles »

I have eaten at the galinette & it is not worty of a Michelen star . You supprise me it has got one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bismillahirrahmanirrahim.
graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by graham34 »

This thread on EGullet has some comments on La Balette in Collioure.
graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by graham34 »

Puddles wrote:I have eaten at the galinette & it is not worty of a Michelen star . You supprise me it has got one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Puddles - had a terrific meal at La Galinette a year ago and found it well worthy of a Michelin star. Please can you elaborate what was wrong with the dishes you had?
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

graham34 wrote:
Puddles wrote:I have eaten at the galinette & it is not worty of a Michelen star . You supprise me it has got one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Puddles - had a terrific meal at La Galinette a year ago and found it well worthy of a Michelin star. Please can you elaborate what was wrong with the dishes you had?

???? Graham do you mean NOT worthy of a Michelin star. :?
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Mis-reading there Marguerite, asks the ex English teacher? (you can take the boy out teaching but you can't .....etc)

Graham is indeed saying it is worthy of its star as we would too on the basis of three meals there. It would be interesting to know what was wrong with your meal Puddles.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

.............oops :oops: oh yes, did read it quickly, ...well thats the pupil in me that clearly did not attend any English lessons.. :wink: :wink:
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

rbg wrote:Thanks everyone, I can always rely on ye!
I think I'll go with Collioure as they have specifically requested Mich star .. looking at the prices, I will be munching a baguette on the beach and won't be joining them though!
Must try out les Papallonas soon too ..
Will report back ( not on the baguette but what the yankees thought!)

Just out of curiosity, how much does a meal set you back in a Michelin star restaurant?
Are they all a la carte?
What price does the wine start at?
Doubt I will ever have the nerve to set foot inside one mind you.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Difficult to generalise PR. The El Bullis of this world cost an absolute fortune (over 300 ph). Same with some of the fancy-dan places in London and Paris. But there again,and Colin will correct me if I'm wrong, La Galinette does a set lunch for 25€. Almandin a similar offering for 28. I walked past the only starred restaurant in Norwich last week,and you'll get a 3 courser with wine for about 45 quid ph there.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Thanks, John.
Think I'll stick with Mr. Polremy's cooking for a bit longer.

ps. Wonder if Chavland has any Michelin starred places.
graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by graham34 »

There are some relative bargains to be had in Michelin star restaurants. Octopus in Beziers does a three course lunch (plus a couple of offerings), a glass of wine and coffee for €30. Frankly a bargain given the standard of cooking.

Personally I have very mixed feelings about the Michelin rating system. Like the Oscars, it's something for chefs to aspire to and the diner by and large knows what to expect. Plenty of places don't win Oscards but are just as good in their own way. To get a Michelin star round here means following a pretty set formula - purees, foams, amuse bouche, petits fours etc. The Michelin Bib award (for RQP and a reasonably priced menu) is perhaps more useful.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Graham hits on an important point here. Awards of new Michelin stars seem to be based on a restaurant's adherence to whatever the latest fad or trend is. As he says, currently it seems to be use of foams/bizarre cooking methods as championed by El Bulli,Heston Blumenthal et al. We went to a place near Lille last year which was apparently aspiring to a star,and every course was accompanied by some sort of funny coloured froth . Ridiculously overpriced for what it was.

Like him,we often look for the BIB rating when in a strange area. Having said that,we've had some shockingly bad meals at these establishments. The saving grace is that we've not had to pay handsomely to eat badly!

Whilst France still,in the main ,beats UK hands down in this regard,I feel it's fair to say that whereas the overall standard /vfm in France is going DOWN,in the UK it seems to be going UP.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

John... yet another avatar change??
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Roger O wrote:John... yet another avatar change??
Football season is now over,Rog,so I like to keep it topical.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

john wrote:
Roger O wrote:John... yet another avatar change??
Football season is now over, Rog, so I like to keep it topical.
You mean that huge thread with something like 1500 posts is actually going to die an (un)natural death?? WOW!!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Let it never be said that footy is not popular ,Rog.......
Serge

Post by Serge »

We have an eatery type pub near us which proudly displays the sign ...."EGON RONAY WEPT HERE".........
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I remember in the 70's when Mr Ronay did a review of eateries near and on the M1. He had to make a new addition to his categories (eg Excellent,Very good,Average etc) to describe Watford Gap Services. He felt the fare there was unworthy of the "Very Poor " category that had,up till then been the lowest,and brought in an "Atrocious" one to describe it.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Went into Perps today and Mr. Polremy went past la Galinette.
Good news - 25 euro set lunch menu
Bad news - the cheapest red wine appeared to be 39 euros a bottle.

I can fill my wine cellar with that money.
Good job they're closed on Mondays - just in case we had been tempted.