Michelin Star restaurants

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Quite so PR. I know there are those who feel it's quite acceptable to pay AT LEAST 39€ for a bottle of wine,but like you,I'm afraid I'm not one of them. If this is true,the Galinette will not be getting my custom.
graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by graham34 »

Restaurants usually display a few examples from there list outside. There will be bottles for less than €39 but I thought La Galinette's list was fairly pricey compared to many of its peers (probably very few bottles for less than €25).

I do feel sometimes that wine (and coffee, tea etc.) drinkers are subsidising those who just eat food and tap water.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Amazing - just got the answer to my question of the other day -
I was just browsing the chavland forum and someone has just mentioned that there is not even one restaurant on the whole island with one Michelin star.
Serge

Post by Serge »

Just Mac D stars then ...............

..was that snobbish? :oops: :oops:
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Probably - but it made me laugh ! :lol: :lol:
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Serge wrote:Just Mac D stars then ...............

..was that snobbish? :oops: :oops:
yes, it was!!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I went to La Table for an evening meal last week. The food was excellent as before, the service pretty good too. The wine list however has taken a wrong turn.

I think there were only 3 or 4 local white wines under 20€ on the menu and they were quite ordinary. It had all the "stars" on there - Gauby, Gardies, Vaquer, Rectorie etc. priced from 20-60€.

What surprised me was that for both red and white, there were good wines from Alsace, Burgundy and the Loire at 20-30€ but the equivalents from the Roussillon were 40-180€.

Now I know I'm always saying the Roussillon produces some great wines but even I find this is little localist.

To give them credit, their by-the-glass wines are still a good choice.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Blimey Jon,this must be a first. You having a moan about wine prices ,and me saying they're quite reasonable!!??

Seriously,we went to La Table last Fri,and my reaction was,as you say the per glass prices in the bar were pretty good for the quality involved,plus the choice/prices on the list were excellent ,bearing in mind the location. Plenty of choice of good Roussillon stuff at under 20€ a bash. Not bad,I thought.

One quibble would be the lack of a "Pichet "offering.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

john wrote:Blimey Jon,this must be a first. You having a moan about wine prices ,and me saying they're quite reasonable!!??

Seriously,we went to La Table last Fri,and my reaction was,as you say the per glass prices in the bar were pretty good for the quality involved,plus the choice/prices on the list were excellent ,bearing in mind the location. Plenty of choice of good Roussillon stuff at under 20€ a bash. Not bad,I thought.

One quibble would be the lack of a "Pichet "offering.
where is this La Table please?
Serge

Post by Serge »

Is that €20 for just the one bottle?................
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Serge wrote:Is that €20 for just the one bottle?................
Some at that price,but plenty for less,Serge. The one we had was 14,and wasn't the cheapest.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Kathy wrote:It's at St Andre

http://www.latabledecuisine.com/
Thanks, Kathy.
Too far away for us really.
Anyone tried August'Inn in Perps?
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Ah..perhaps I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here. I assumed Santiago was referring to La Table restaurant in C Perpignan?
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

polremy wrote:
Kathy wrote:It's at St Andre

http://www.latabledecuisine.com/
Thanks, Kathy.
Too far away for us really.
Anyone tried August'Inn in Perps?
I thought I replied to this. :? We have been twice at lunchtime and thought it was good value for money.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

John is correct. La Table on rue de la Poissonnerie, Perpignan.

The wine list and menu are on line http://www.latable-restaurant.com/

As you can see, the only whites under 20€ on the list are a Muscat Sec that retails at 5€, Lafage's pleasant but unexciting supermarket regular and the Espira Coop wine.

There was another, which I chose, called Domaine du Vieux Chene but when it arrived I saw it was made by a producer who's wines I've tried a few times and found very "rustic" so swapped it for the Lafage.
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Santiago wrote: wines I've tried a few times and found very "rustic" .....
Wonderful expression. If the palate can do such a thing, the palate boggles at the thought of a "rustic" wine.
graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by graham34 »

Santiago wrote: The wine list and menu are on line http://www.latable-restaurant.com/
I'll take your word for it about the food, but I'm not sure about the Brochette de ris de veau et homard au kumquats i.e. use of kumquats.

How can a wine list can just say "Pommard 2000 €53". Perhaps there's a co-op in Pommard :o
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Santiago wrote:John is correct. La Table on rue de la Poissonnerie, Perpignan.

The wine list and menu are on line http://www.latable-restaurant.com/

As you can see, the only whites under 20€ on the list are a Muscat Sec that retails at 5€, Lafage's pleasant but unexciting supermarket regular and the Espira Coop wine.

There was another, which I chose, called Domaine du Vieux Chene but when it arrived I saw it was made by a producer who's wines I've tried a few times and found very "rustic" so swapped it for the Lafage.
Well they must have changed the wine list in the last couple of weeks,because there was a lot more than those mentioned when we went a fortnight ago!.
Serge

Post by Serge »

Sorry, but I have to ask, what is wrong with supermarket wines ..........
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Serge wrote:Sorry, but I have to ask, what is wrong with supermarket wines ..........
Maybe he meant that he had seen them in the supermarket so he know how much the markup was - very galling.
Does anybody let you bring your own these days and pay corkage?
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Serge wrote:Sorry, but I have to ask, what is wrong with supermarket wines ..........
A word of warning,Serge. Don't get him started on this. It seems a VERY sore point.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Supermarket wines work well for the supermarket.

As Polremy says, why pay restaurant prices for wines you can easily buy at the supermarket. Would you pay high prices for a ready-meal or a very simple dish that you could easily knock up at home?

Personally I like a restaurant to choose its wines as well as it puts together its menu.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I've had time now to look at La Table's wine list as published on their site (which is by no means the complete choice you get "sur place"),Santiago. There seem to me to be plenty of good wines at below 20€.

For a change we fancied a rosé when we went (red would not have complemented our food) and the one we had was not on the web list. It cost 14€ and I've never seen it in any supermarket. It was very good.

This is not meant to be confrontational,but as you know far more about wine than Serge or me, could you just (avoiding jargon ) explain to us what is not satisfactory about their "supermarket style" wines? With respect ,saying "Supermarket wines work well for supermarkets" is a bit of a cop out. What do you mean EXACTLY by this? In what way have La Table put together their wine list in an inferior manner to their menu?
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Think about it this way. Would you expect to be served a ready-meal in a restaurant and charged 3 times the price it costs in a supermarket?

I think La Table could improve their wine list by adding some more interesting, better quality wines from the Roussillon in the 15-30 range. Which, I'm sure you will agree, is the price range we generally buy from.

As you pointed out John, it's a topic close to my heart. A good restaurant delivers in every respect - food, wine, cocktails, ambience and service.

Supermarket wines are the equivalent of an Omelet or a Croque Monsieur.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Santiago wrote:Think about it this way. Would you expect to be served a ready-meal in a restaurant and charged 3 times the price it costs in a supermarket?

I think La Table could improve their wine list by adding some more interesting, better quality wines from the Roussillon in the 15-30 range. Which, I'm sure you will agree, is the price range we generally buy from.

I think in many restaurants thats exactly what you DO get. Pre packed meat/fish/preprepared veg.It's often price driven. Not always bad,but impossible to generalise.

Which is exactly what you are doing re the wine list question. A bit short on specifics. Exactly which "more interesting" (ie expensive) Roussillon wines could la Table offer AND keep the price to withn the acceptable levels we agree on?
Serge

Post by Serge »

€15 - 30 for one bottle! :shock:

That's why supermarket wine is so popular (probably not much difference in taste either) ..........................
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Hang on a minute chaps. You've turned the tables (pun intended) completely. I said that the La Table wine list was too expensive. :?

I think they should have more and better wines under 20.

Serge - La Table is a RESTAURANT, not a supermarket. :roll:
Serge

Post by Serge »

I know!

Bit of a 'rip off' though don't you think?
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

No. 15-25€ a bottle for wine in a restaurant is not a rip-off. It's the going rate