oysters

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

oysters

Post by opas »

We have just been to Elne where there was a small market. We noticed Oysters at the fish shop and decided we will give them another go! last time we bought them we tried them raw yuk!!!!!
A nurse who looked after our daughter gave us a recipe for cooked oysters which had a cheese sause on them and grilled. can anyone give me their favourite recipe to have a go at for tonight?
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

My partner eats them raw with a dressing of finely chopped shallots in a little wine vinegar
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

A relatively simple one is to poach some leeks in a little butter and white wine,add the resulting compote to each shucked oyster,splash a little Worcester sauce in,sprinkle some grated Emmental on top,and put under a hot grill/oven for 5 -6 mins.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

John, we stuck to simple.

just put parmesan over them and grilled them..........boy were they delicious! we wish we had discovered them years ago! Now we are Oyster converts.....but cooked.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Never tried them with Parmesan. What sort of flavour does that combination produce?
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

bloody wonderfull! or perhaps that was the combination of the cava we supped with them :wink: Hic!
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

opas wrote:combination of the cava we supped with them :wink: Hic!
Cava... not a cheeky little Champagne ???

You'll never pass the "wine snob" entrance exam with talk like that opas.....
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Oysters are supposed to be opened, sprayed lightly with fresh lemon juice and swallowed (to produce "that" effect for which they are reowned!).

I don't like oysters, personally - give me Coquilles St Jacques à la bretonne!!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Well we do have a rather nice Champagne which was given to us a few weeks ago as a thank you gift...........we did wonder whether to open it , but thought It would be too decadent if we decided the Oysters were going to the neighbours cat!

That champers is now being reserved for our 24 th wedding anniversary near the end of may.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Roger O wrote:
Now you're talking my language Rog. CSJ are pretty nice here,and if you can't stand the eye watering prices,some of the frozen ones are really quite tasty,but ,for the real deal,those from Britanny,Normandy (or,to be fair Scotland) can't be beat.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Roger O wrote:Oysters are supposed to be opened, sprayed lightly with fresh lemon juice and swallowed (to produce "that" effect for which they are reowned!).

Raw oysters beurk!

Tried them a number of times over the years and each time has produced the same sort of reaction........they either went in the nearest dusbin or a passing dog!
the cooked version has converted me.

Coquilles St Jacques.......had them chez paddyfrog and he cooked them to perfection.

not much food i don`t like....Tripe in any shape or form, no reciepes needed folks as I will not be trying them :cry:
Serge

Post by Serge »

Roger O wrote:Oysters are supposed to be opened, sprayed lightly with fresh lemon juice and swallowed (to produce "that" effect for which they are reowned!).
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Serge wrote:

and would your other half spit it out or swallow :lol:
Last edited by opas on Fri 01 May 2009 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Talking about Oysters :roll:
For a non fish person like me, apart from Cod & the odd Sprat at Christmas, the PO
does tend to cater for the fishy inclined palette, even though there is plenty of cheese & smoked ham to go
round, not forgetting Churos of course ;)
Is there a fish dish etc that you can recomend, that is going to be condusive to my liking :D
Muchly thanks :wink:

Cheers Sav :)
Serge

Post by Serge »

Sav wrote: For a non fish person like me, apart from Cod & the odd Sprat
Is that like being a bit pregnant? :?
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Correction two Crunchies ( see another thread ) :lol:

thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Sav wrote:Talking about Oysters :roll:
For a non fish person like me, apart from Cod & the odd Sprat at Christmas, the PO
does tend to cater for the fishy inclined palette, even though there is plenty of cheese & smoked ham to go
round, not forgetting Churos of course ;)
Is there a fish dish etc that you can recomend, that is going to be condusive to my liking :D
Muchly thanks :wink:

Try a proper homemade mixed meat and fish paella;

(I have an allergy to all things piscatorial)
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

I think the fish would have to be a side issue thumbers :roll:
That way if i did not like it, it would not have infiltrated the others ;)

Chris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chris »

This is very interesting; I don't particularly like raw oysters, and worry about the health risks, but cooked and piping hot sounds much better.
Can you post a brief resumé of how you cook them please?
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

I've never seen cooked oysters eaten by any French person - it's considered as philistine sacrilege - or chav, if one prefers!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
Chris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chris »

Excellent, I shall eat them whilst accoutred appropriately; perhaps wearing a T-shirt embossed with something like SHARP VIEW CAM VIDEO MANCHESTER UNITED CARLSBERG CANTONA etc, and with a large gold plated medallion round my neck, a baseball cap the wrong way round on my head, shorts, sandals and socks.
If something is worth doing it's worth doing well, that's what I say; better a convincing chav than a half hearted attempt.
Oh and perhaps better wash them down with a pint glass of Lafite n lemonade with ice cubes.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Here's one option

Oysters au gratin Serves 2

6 fresh oysters, cleaned and shucked
2 streaky bacon rashers, finely chopped
30g/1oz celery, finely chopped
4 baby asparagus tips, finely chopped
salt and ground black pepper
30g/1oz mozzarella cheese, grated

In a small pan cook the bacon for 1-2 minutes until crispy. Add the celery and asparagus. Season.
Spoon the bacon and asparagus mixture over the oysters. Sprinkle over the cheese.
Cook the oysters under a medium grill for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and melts.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Chris wrote:Excellent, I shall eat them whilst accoutred appropriately; perhaps wearing a T-shirt embossed with something like SHARP VIEW CAM VIDEO MANCHESTER UNITED CARLSBERG CANTONA etc, and with a large gold plated medallion round my neck, a baseball cap the wrong way round on my head, shorts, sandals and socks.
If something is worth doing it's worth doing well, that's what I say; better a convincing chav than a half hearted attempt.
Oh and perhaps better wash them down with a pint glass of Lafite n lemonade with ice cubes.
shouldn`t that be a pint of Guiness :lol:

Mr O opened them and tipped the juice away loosened the flesh from the shell and put some parmessan over , grilled them for about 6 mins.......be carefull after as the shells really are hot.

As for not seeing a French person eat cooked Oysters, well I havn`t either but It was a french man who suggested we cook them so someone round here must enjoy them like that!
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

We were served cooked oysters as part of a fish dish in a French restaurant. Perspectives must be changing Roger.
Chris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chris »

That sounds lovely, thank you.
I prefer to cook shellfish well; we have had a scare recently about E Coli in mussels from the Conwy estuary, which is just up the coast from here, and which is usually famous for the quality of its mussels. I have a slightly sensitive tum so prefer not to take any risks except those relating to a hot curry, which is an obligatory part of living in the UK.