Good restaurant in Castelnou

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Ciaran
Rank 0
Rank 0

Good restaurant in Castelnou

Post by Ciaran »

I am bringing some friends over at the end of the month and want to visit Castelnou and have dinner there. Any recommendations?

There seems to be two restaurants, l'Hostal and D'ICI et D'AILLEURS.

Has anyone tried either? Thanks in advance!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I've eaten in L'Hostal. Nothing special about the food (or wine) but the view from the terrace, in summer, is great.

The restos in Castelnou might not even be open this month.

I'd recommend coming back down from Castelnou and eating in Le Patio Catalan in Thuir.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Santiago wrote:I'd recommend coming back down from Castelnou and eating in Le Patio Catalan in Thuir.
I agree! We took my sister-in-law and husband to Le patio Catalan twice and they loved it - and they're quite particular about good food.. and ambiance.

Easy parking, too - park across from Byrrh leaving Thuir on the main road to Perpignan (with the big palm trees) in the parking in front of the college then walk back about 40 meters towards the centre on the left side (Byrrh is on the right) and it's set a little back, just after the cultural centre.

http://www.linternaute.com/restaurant/r ... alan.shtml
scroll down for "votre avis" and see the *****
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Or try La Casa Da Lie in Thuir - also easy to park (market square) and really nice food and ambiance (I was there yesterday - yummy!)
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Thumbalina, is that the one on the corner of the main square?

I ate there twice last year and both times I thought the dishes had suffered from being prepared hours earlier. Admittedly, they were both plat du jours.

Has anyone tries La Taverna Del Galet in Thuir.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Yes, that's the one Santiago. I, too, had the plat du jour and it was really lovely.

Had a lovely roasted vegetable salad to start with, followed by veal in a mushroom sauce and then a scrummy apple tart with the softest butteriest flakiest pastry that I've tasted for a long time. Totally delish!!!

Not tried the other place, sorry!

Oh, hang on a min, if thats the place on the opposite side of the market square I have tried it.

Totally different - galets, crepes, salads and bruschettas. Bruschettas are what I usually have and they're yummy/ Bit on the pricey side for what you get though (think its about 8 euros for one large slice of toast with a bit of tomato sauce, parsley and garlic).
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

thumbelina wrote:Yes, that's the one Santiago. I, too, had the plat du jour and it was really lovely.

Had a lovely roasted vegetable salad to start with, followed by veal in a mushroom sauce and then a scrummy apple tart with the softest butteriest flakiest pastry that I've tasted for a long time. Totally delish!!!

Not tried the other place, sorry!

Oh, hang on a min, if thats the place on the opposite side of the market square I have tried it.

Totally different - galets, crepes, salads and bruschettas. Bruschettas are what I usually have and they're yummy/ Bit on the pricey side for what you get though (think its about 8 euros for one large slice of toast with a bit of tomato sauce, parsley and garlic).
a BIT on the pricey side?
blimey.
1.50 here in Chavland, right on the seafront at little fishing village called Los Abrigos. And we thought things had gone up this year!
We'd better start saving up before we come back to Perps.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Crikey, yes, Polremy!!

You wouldn't believe how expensive EVERYTHING is here now! :(

maybe we should join you in chavland???
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

.....right on the seafront at little fishing village called Los Abrigos
Is that the little fishing port Pol? Used to go there regularly - superb fish grub if I remember rightly!!
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Yes ,is that the place close by the Airport(the planes approach low overhead)? Loads of fish restos there?

What sort of percentage have prices gone up ,PR? I assume it's not just the £ to € rate thats done it.
Rivesaltes Johnny
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rivesaltes Johnny »

I have fond memories of a fish restaurant just off the road to El Medano in the village called La Marea... best Razor Clams I have ever eaten. I believe alot of buildng work going on in the area with new hotels etc as well problay ruined the village atmosphere.!!! Oh well thats progress...
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Is Los Abrigos still unspoilt? It is quite a few years since we were there but it was a refreshing place to visit after the hustle and bustle of other areas.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Kathy wrote:Is Los Abrigos still unspoilt? It is quite a few years since we were there but it was a refreshing place to visit after the hustle and bustle of other areas.
yes, fairly unspoilt.
they are building a lot of apartments just a couple of streets back from the harbour. not sure who they expect to live in them - no terraces and mainly only tiny balconies.
at the moment they are repairing the sea wall - cladding it with massive black stones - which means noise and lorries coming and going, but it will be nice when it's finished as they say.
apparently you can still buy fish on the quayside direct from the fishermen if you can get up early enough (which I can't).
we are a 15 minute walk across the cliffs from los Abrigos and go there quite often, sometimes just for a drink in a backstreet bar (2.40 for a draught beer and a white wine!)
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

polremy wrote:we are a 15 minute walk across the cliffs from los Abrigos and go there quite often, sometimes just for a drink in a backstreet bar (2.40 for a draught beer and a white wine!)
Sounds as though it's still quite nice. My kind of bar prices too.

Do they still have the local beers in the Canaries (Tropical,Dorada etc) or have San Miguel,Estrella Damm,and Mahou muscled their way in?
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Rivesaltes Johnny wrote:I have fond memories of a fish restaurant just off the road to El Medano in the village called La Marea... best Razor Clams I have ever eaten. I believe alot of buildng work going on in the area with new hotels etc as well problay ruined the village atmosphere.!!! Oh well thats progress...
we don't have a car here - use our legs or the bus.
will look up that village.
mght try it if it isn't too far from the busroute.
we often go to medano - our favourite restaurant is the Caballo Blanco, or as mr polremy insists on calling it: "The White Horse"
Large expensive looking place overlooking the sea - but the service is excellent and the prices are reasonable.
You can (and we often do) sit there quite happily all afternoon.
Sit right by the front balcony and risk getting splashed when the waves get up a bit.
Full of Spanish, especially on a Saturday which is market day.
We usually go for:
Peppers Padron and chopitos, or their excellent paella (but you have to wait 30 minutes - always a good sign),washed down with a really good house wine for 9 euros a litre.
A lovely feel to Medano altogher. Not tacky at all. Just a little bit hippy and very family friendly. The windsurfers are an added attraction.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

john wrote:
polremy wrote:we are a 15 minute walk across the cliffs from los Abrigos and go there quite often, sometimes just for a drink in a backstreet bar (2.40 for a draught beer and a white wine!)
Sounds as though it's still quite nice. My kind of bar prices too.

Do they still have the local beers in the Canaries (Tropical,Dorada etc) or have San Miguel,Estrella Damm,and Mahou muscled their way in?
They still have Dorada but not always draught in our little bars.
The local one seems to be La Reina which Mr. Polremy finds a bit weak tasting but it does the job after a bit of a hike.
Rivesaltes Johnny
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rivesaltes Johnny »

polremy wrote:
Rivesaltes Johnny wrote:I have fond memories of a fish restaurant just off the road to El Medano in the village called La Marea... best Razor Clams I have ever eaten. I believe alot of buildng work going on in the area with new hotels etc as well problay ruined the village atmosphere.!!! Oh well thats progress...
Restaurante "La Marea" is in the village of Los Abrigos...it is in a side street back from the road running between Los Abrigos and El Medano no real view but is very well used by the locals...

The Pimentos Padron are great as well in the little bar on the sea front in El Medano...apparently there is a chance on a plate of getting one hot chilli one!!! yet to get this though.

The best sign I ever saw in a hotel in Playa Fanabe was advertising the chefs "Show Cocking" !!! beggars belief...
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

john wrote:Yes ,is that the place close by the Airport(the planes approach low overhead)? Loads of fish restos there?

What sort of percentage have prices gone up ,PR? I assume it's not just the £ to € rate thats done it.
the price rise is probably a bit of each to be honest - and probably more the exchange rate and, since all our money comes in as sterling and most of it goes out in euros, that is what we notice. certain things here in Tenerife have always been quite expensive - we are an island after all.
Living in the south of Spain would be much cheaper methinks.
mr. pol!!! (new name apparently) keeps calling all prices pounds just to drive the point home.
for example, here in the Golf del Sur, one place is advertising (English style - not dorada or anything) fish and chips for 9euros!!
mr. pol said "wot!!!!! £9 for a bit of fish and chips" - actually, it might actually cost that in the UK by now.
We will find out in may when we stop over for 3 days en route to France.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Been offline for a day. But back to Thuir....

No, Patio Catalan is at the bottom of the main shopping street, opposite Caves Byhrr (?). The food and setting IMO are quite a step up from the one at the top of the high street and lots better than the Creperie, which I think is really overpriced and would score 2/10 on service.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

We went to Patio Catalan on Monday for lunch.

The food was excellent. A formule for $13 which had duck heart salad for starter, a perfectly cooked bavette with a selection of tasty seasonal veggies (not chips) and a choice two superb deserts. Therefore super value too.

The presentation is very good indeed. The setting is "gentile" (a bit too quiet perhaps).

The only think that spoilt it was the drinks waiter who was a pretty surly little character. Perhaps he was upset that we weren't drinking alcohol but that no real excuse for rudeness. A real shame because the rest of the staff are really nice. Personally it didn't really bother me but my Mum gets upset by such people.

Perhaps I'll ask if I can do BYO next time just to really p&*% him off!
agent-immo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Good restaurant in Castelnou

Post by agent-immo »

Ciaran wrote:want to visit Castelnou and have dinner there. Any recommendations?

There seems to be two restaurants, l'Hostal and D'ICI et D'AILLEURS.

Has anyone tried either? Thanks in advance!
Hi Ciaran,

To get back to your request I can tell you that d'Ici et d'Ailleurs is worth a visit - I had lunch there on Monday with clients and can report that the service and food were both excellent. They have a reasonable selection of dishes which are in the 15-22 Euros range while the wines are similarly priced; the 'menu' is 19€ for three courses or 15.50€ for two. I have been told by residents of Castelnou that, although l'Hostal does command great views the food is not of a similar quality.

Hope this helps.

James.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Perhaps one for the restaurants section Colin?
vieux hibou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vieux hibou »

Yes indeed. I will have to make up some sort of composite entry so it will have to wait! As you saw elsewhere, The Owl is busy this week.
Forum Moderator
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Santiago wrote:Personally it didn't really bother me but my Mum gets upset by such people.
Best regards to her from me!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Thanks Roger, will pass on the regards. She's back in England now.