Restaurants in the Languedoc

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

groslard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Restaurants in the Languedoc

Post by groslard »

At the right hand top of the page in large letters it says Languedoc-Roussillon, but I notice that most people on this board seem very firmly based in the PO rather than the Languedoc.
I'd be quite happy to post a few reviews of restaurants in my patch, (Languedoc, in particular the western Hérault) but it doesn't seem worth it if they are too far away for most people.
What is the general feeling about it?

Here is some evidence from earlier this year:

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Looks good GL. To be fair ,the home page of AD does specify Pyrenees Orientales.There are pleny of sites that cover the 34/11 area(inc Peter's excellent Languedoc Page).

You asked for views,so here is mine.At the risk of being criticised as "parochial",I'd prefer if AD stayed as essentially a 66 focussed publication.The sister mag is called "PO life",and my view is that 95% of content should remain PO related.
groslard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groslard »

Fair enough ..that's why I raise the question before launching in ..
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

My personal opinion is that is it nice to have some 'over the border' restaurants on the forum. When the wind drops (it's driving me MAAAAAAD) it's rather nice to venture out to pastures new and do a bit of exploring, and easier to do if you know you have a nice lunch waiting.

Groslard, mon petit gros, those piccies make my mouth water but spare a thought for people without broadband. Photos like that take half an hour to appear!!

PS For anybody wondering, mon petit gros is actually a term of endearment. Well, it must be cos that's what me husband calls me - in the fem of course :roll:
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I'd be happy to add them here : www.the-languedoc-page.com/tourism/lang ... urants.htm

These are pretty well all "Languedoc", and I don't think I have any from 66.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
groslard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groslard »

whereas groslard = fat slob :P .....
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Those pictures are mouthwatering. I've just finished dinner but I could eat those spuds.

I'd welcome a few over-the border reviews too. I often go up to Narbonne and into the Corbieres and while I do look at Peter's excellent website, I don't read the restaurant reviews regularly as they tend to be way up north.

Perhaps we should also do some linking between forums for restaurants that are close to both areas.
groslard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groslard »

Well that one is near Minerve, so it is feasible for you southerners..not over near Nîmes or something...
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

John already gives some excellent reviews on Spanish Restaurants.

Would it not be practical to keep the standard page referring to PO Restaurants generally with three sub folders on the same page within which Spanish, Languedoc and Others are listed.

That way if anyone is going outside the PO they can easily see the recommendation's.

groslard's mouth watering pictorial review should be the first but with the address. :lol: :lol:

Others could include Paris, Leeds,Manchester etc in fact anywhere where Ryanair or other Low cost airlines fly to, where some of us have been for a short break. :?: :?: :?: :?:
Michael
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

groslard wrote:Well that one is near Minerve, so it is feasible for you southerners..not over near Nîmes or something...
GL it's the "66 disease" - out of sight of the Canigou for more than a few days and it's "denial time"!!! How many Catalans are on the dole cos they can't bear to move out of their corner? One reason why Breton workers are so popular with employers is that they are willing to move about and the other is that they work hard, cheerfully and efficiently without moaning about the whole time!

Immigrants to 66 end up catching this type of agoraphobic disease if not careful!!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Is that a fear of certain types of wool :?:
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Is that a fear of certain types of wool

Good idea to split the restaurant section in regions. Will put it on my 'to do' list!!
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

Santiago wrote:Is that a fear of certain types of wool :?:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Roger O wrote: - out of sight of the Canigou for more than a few days and it's "denial time"!!! How many Catalans are on the dole cos they can't bear to move out of their corner? One reason why Breton workers are so popular with employers is that they are willing to move about and the other is that they work hard, cheerfully and efficiently without moaning about the whole time!

Immigrants to 66 end up catching this type of agoraphobic disease if not careful!!
With respect Roger,that is taking things to ridiculous extremes. Many of us here(both local and non) venture away to Spain,other parts of France and much further afield regularly. We stay in hotels ,and eat in restaurants/bars whilst doing so.

My point is one of focus. There are plenty of magazines,sites etc that cover other regions of France. If I intend to travel to Alsace I'll look at an Alsace mag/site. I just feel that part of the charm of POL and AD is that it is unashamadly focussed on Dept 66. There is nothing wrong with a few features on things in Spain and 11/34. All I'm saying is that I personally would not like to see the content of the site diluted.

In the same way that if I buy a football magazine ,I do not expect to see large segments of it given over to articles on cricket!
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

John, I'm rather surprised you took me seriously!!
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Fair enough Roger.Point taken.

But I do know that you have something of a "downer" on 66 and all things Catalan. Is that not true!?
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

well... sometimes it does feel a bit like certain parts of Sicily...
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

Hey groslard ( love the name!)
Love the mouth watering photos, yum!
Would love a few resto reviews in the L'doc - particularly around the Carcassone area - I bring clients to the cité quite a bit and it's always quite hit and miss .. if you could recommend a few if you know any?
I had one really memorable meal in Le Sainte Anne near Sigean about 5 years ago .. we just stumbled upon it after a day out at the safari .. my Aussie friends are coming back soon just to go back there!!!
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

rbg.....I am sure Roger can help you there regarding Carcassonne...he never lets us down. :wink:
M,
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

.. er.. 'ave not tried ze one of my cousin... but ee ees supposed to be verry good!
http://www.comteroger.com/

Of course, in the Cité the Barbacane (Hotel de la Cité) is supposed to be the nec plus ultra - but the prices are rather.. too
http://www.hoteldelacite.com/web/ocar/o ... splash.jsp
The restaurant (banqueting hall!!) is a setting to grace the best in local cuisine!!

However, to be honest, what with settling in and finding our way around, we've only touched on sampling the local goodies in peace and quiet, so far...!

We're looking around to sample with our visitors later this summer - meanwhile
http://mescladis.free.fr/adresses.htm
groslard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groslard »

rbg wrote:Hey groslard ( love the name!)
Love the mouth watering photos, yum!
Would love a few resto reviews in the L'doc
I'm going to respect john's point, and not overload this site with lots of references that would be better on another board.
But now I have posted the photos, I may as well just say a little about that place, as it's not that far from Carcassonne

It is the dining side of a wine Domaine: the brother is the vigneron and his sister looks after the food."
As such, it is typical country food, hearty, not at all "nouvelle cuisine", and made with a lot of their own produce: for example patés made from game that has been caught in the vines( the brother described it as his 'revenge' for the damage done) or from the local chasse.

I ate there on New Year's day, and there was a selection of country patés, a salad, a choice of fish course ( I had salmon in a sauce of flambéd écrivisses) then a game course: pheasant or levrette or duck, with the vegetables you see in the photo. Cheese and a omelette norvegienne to finish (with other options) It included a half bottle per person of the Domaine's own wine so we had two rosé and two red

Obviously this was a bit of a feast for a special day and so it was 38 euros all included, but normally there are menus from 13/14 euros wine included, and with the same quality but less choice.
It is only open at lunchtime (except Friday I think) , and its best to telephone in advance

estaurant Chabbert in Fauzan (open lunchtimes only, except Friday) - tel 04 68 91 23 64
http://fr.local.yahoo.com/H%C3%A9rault/ ... 61303.html

It is near Minerve, so it makes a pleasant excursion if you combine it with a visit to that lovely town, and to the 'magic slope' where the optical illusion means that the slope is actually in the opposite sense to that it seems..
The road between Minerve and Fauzan follows the gorges de la Cesse:
some nice photos on this site ( scroll down)
http://www.escalades-toulouse.z0rglub.o ... auzan.html
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

GL, I'll bet you are a taurean!
I'll be checking that place out rapido!
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Excellent stuff GL. To my mind,this is precisely the info we want.On the face of it ,this is a good quality/value restaurant,which is relatively easy for residents of PO to get to.

My point was purely that I did't think that AD was the place to have endless discussions about the deepest Herault versions of the cheap and cheerful "formule" places that some members of this forum seem to favour.
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

john wrote:My point was purely that I did't think that AD was the place to have endless discussions about the deepest Herault versions of the cheap and cheerful "formule" places that some members of this forum seem to favour.

Michael