Pickled Onions

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Pickled Onions

Post by martyn94 » Tue 20 Nov 2018 23:27

I had an exchange about pickled onions with Allan years ago (as one does). He asked me where I bought mine: I said that I generally made my own, but hadn’t found any suitable onions here.

Well now I have. Lidl sell what they call “oignons saucier” at €1.25 for 500 gm. They are a bit too big for the classic bourguignon garnish (to my tastes), but exactly right for pickled onions. If you need the method, this works well

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spi ... d-shallots

Ordinary white wine vinegar (ie not flavoured with tarragon) is strangely hard to find down here, but common, and cheap, in Spain. Otherwise cheap red wine vinegar will do.

Incidentally, I find that you can now get ready-made pickled onions down here. I saw “Hayward’s” brand (very ordinary, from memory) on the “anglo” shelves at Intermarché in Argelès, at something north of €7 for 210gm, drained weight. A bit more than I paid for nearly 9 times that, home made. Peeling the onions is the only tedious bit, but even that is easy enough if you first soak them in boiling water.

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1379
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2009 21:21
Contact:

Re: Pickled Onions

Post by Allan » Wed 21 Nov 2018 15:22

Do you make the spices up from scratch or can you buy ready made pickling spices here?

I went off Hayward’s a while back as they were all rock hard. I emailed them to ask if they had changed the production process or whether it was just a seasonal change. They didn’t reply but just sent me a voucher for some more.

I ordered a variety of onions from British Corner Shop and had a taste test. I actually preferred the cheap ones from Waitrose.

Anyway, I ordered some more and they arrived with the lid off one of the jars, BCS sent a replacement which arrived - with the lid off. They sent another replacement which again arrived - with the lid off.

I am clearly destined to just scrounge some off of Martyn.

User avatar
Kate
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1825
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2005 19:48
Contact:

Re: Pickled Onions

Post by Kate » Wed 21 Nov 2018 15:36

Probably be tastier and better quality ....and the hand over will be more fun.

User avatar
Madeleine
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu 18 Oct 2018 18:22
Contact:

Re: Pickled Onions

Post by Madeleine » Thu 22 Nov 2018 15:43

Customs probably opened them to make sure that they won't a bomb :lol: and I'm sure that home made ones are much tastier. I made a couple of jars a few weeks back using vinègre de cidre and pickling spice from the UK, but I have made up my own spices in the past. We'll see what they taste like at Christmas.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Re: Pickled Onions

Post by martyn94 » Thu 22 Nov 2018 20:02

Allan wrote:
Wed 21 Nov 2018 15:22
Do you make the spices up from scratch or can you buy ready made pickling spices here?

I went off Hayward’s a while back as they were all rock hard. I emailed them to ask if they had changed the production process or whether it was just a seasonal change. They didn’t reply but just sent me a voucher for some more.

I ordered a variety of onions from British Corner Shop and had a taste test. I actually preferred the cheap ones from Waitrose.

Anyway, I ordered some more and they arrived with the lid off one of the jars, BCS sent a replacement which arrived - with the lid off. They sent another replacement which again arrived - with the lid off.

I am clearly destined to just scrounge some off of Martyn.
If you are going to do the “collecte” gig again this year, let us know and I’ll bring a couple of jars along. I add the spices that seem suitable, and which haven’t run out. You’re not on oath.

I bought some quite decent shop-bought ones in Australia a few years ago, made in India. Another gift from the British Raj.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Re: Pickled Onions

Post by martyn94 » Thu 22 Nov 2018 20:16

martyn94 wrote:
Thu 22 Nov 2018 20:02
Allan wrote:
Wed 21 Nov 2018 15:22
Do you make the spices up from scratch or can you buy ready made pickling spices here?

I went off Hayward’s a while back as they were all rock hard. I emailed them to ask if they had changed the production process or whether it was just a seasonal change. They didn’t reply but just sent me a voucher for some more.

I ordered a variety of onions from British Corner Shop and had a taste test. I actually preferred the cheap ones from Waitrose.

Anyway, I ordered some more and they arrived with the lid off one of the jars, BCS sent a replacement which arrived - with the lid off. They sent another replacement which again arrived - with the lid off.

I am clearly destined to just scrounge some off of Martyn.
If you are going to do the “collecte” gig again this year, let us know and I’ll bring a couple of jars along. I add the spices that seem suitable, and which haven’t run out. You’re not on oath.

I bought some quite decent shop-bought ones in Australia a few years ago, made in India. Another gift from the British Raj.
To be bit more specific, some black peppercorns, cloves, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, allspice berries, and a chunk of stick cinnamon and a bay leaf in each jar. And a small swig of Tabasco.

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1379
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2009 21:21
Contact:

Re: Pickled Onions

Post by Allan » Fri 23 Nov 2018 14:29

Martyn

I sent you a pm about the collect, it Is on 1 Dec

User avatar
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1768
Joined: Tue 02 Dec 2008 15:08
Contact:

Re: Pickled Onions

Post by Sue » Fri 23 Nov 2018 19:36

Dealz had them last year for Christmas. Think they were 1.50€ a jar and very palatable.
Dylan

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Re: Pickled Onions

Post by martyn94 » Sat 24 Nov 2018 21:26

I think I’d rather make my own than drive 43km each way. To tell the truth, I quite enjoy it.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Re: Pickled Onions

Post by martyn94 » Mon 26 Nov 2018 18:01

Kate wrote:
Wed 21 Nov 2018 15:36
Probably be tastier and better quality ....and the hand over will be more fun.
They will certainly be tastier, and better quality, even if I say it myself. But the handover won’t be specially glamorous: we have a tryst with Allan next Saturday at the giant Carrefour in Claira. If the “Jilly Jones” will let us get there. And then a small detour past Dealz (is that the place that does the counterfeit Toblerone?). And then the 5 Continents on the way home if I’m feeling really masochistic. And then Weldom in Argèles for some
Iight fittings. And then nothing north of Collioure until 2019, if God is good.

Post Reply