Victorinox knives

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Victorinox knives

Post by martyn94 »

As I’ve said in an earlier post, I’ve been equipping my new kitchen here with stuff which is good enough for my needs and skills, but a bit more disposable, and cheaper, than I have previously used.

In the case of knives, I have used heavy German forged knives, usually Zwilling-Henckels. They are excellent, but expensive: I fell a bit out of love when a brand-new block got nicked from my other house before I had even used them.

I thought I would try Victorinox (the people who make Swiss Army knives): they are stamped, not forged, but from the same alloy. They are much lighter than forged knives, but well-balanced and vastly cheaper. And entirely good - to cut a long story short - once you get used to them. And the odds-and-sods (bread knives, potato peelers.. which I’ve used for decades) are also excellent and used in vast numbers of professional kitchens.

After traipsing round outer Perpignan, in vain, to find someone with an adequate (or any) choice), I bought them online - much the best course. They have a huge range of patterns (many for butchers and slaughter men) plus options like different coloured handles (which I found useful). I spent hours puzzling them out, so if anyone’s interested, send me a pm.

Of course, it’s all a waste of money without a minimum investment to keep them sharp. But that’s another post.