L'Allantoine

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

catllar
Rank 2
Rank 2

L'Allantoine

Post by catllar »

In Rivesaltes today for the dentist we needed somewhere to lunch and were recommended L'Allantoine. No printed menu, just a blackboard. Lunch offered two choices - bistro at 16E for 2 courses or 22 for 2 courses ( but a bit posher). There is an evening menu at 31 (I think)

Restaurant is small but friendly, madam is FoH and monsieur is singlehanded in the kitchen. All food was cooked to order from the limited daily offering . I had the bistro menu and MrC had the other one. It took an hour and a half to get 2 dishes each. The fact that there are magazines available to leaf through should have averted us to the speed! Wasn't a problem for us, but be warned.

My gratine of cod with rice was lovely - hot, well seasoned - and the pa d'ou was heaven! Mr C had a millefeuille of fruits de mer followed by filet mignon with grapes, a courgette flan, a fricasse of red spiced cabbage and a few pommes frites. Lovely quality food at a value for money price.
Life is not a rehearsal
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: L'Allantoine

Post by martyn94 »

[quote="catllar"filet mignon with grapes, a courgette flan, a fricasse of red spiced cabbage and a few pommes frites. Lovely quality food at a value for money price.[/quote]

It must have tasted a lot better than it reads.
rainbow
Rank 3
Rank 3

What's in a word

Post by rainbow »

94 it's the taste, smell the eating
Best Wishes
catllar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by catllar »

martyn94 wrote:[quote="catllar"filet mignon with grapes, a courgette flan, a fricasse of red spiced cabbage and a few pommes frites. Lovely quality food at a value for money price.
It must have tasted a lot better than it reads.[/quote]

- sorry you don't like my description
Life is not a rehearsal
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Sounds delicious - and worth the wait.
It was one of the very first restaurants that I went to with friends made right here on the forum - different name, different owners, but a couple of very enjoyable (and wine soaked) evenings.

If I remember rightly, the problem they had was their position down a little side street - difficult to find so didn't attract passing trade. I always think these are the kind of restaurants that we should support, as these husband and wife teams work so hard for so little reward.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

catllar wrote:
martyn94 wrote: - sorry you don't like my description
I'm sorry you took it that way. The dish of pork, and grapes, and courgette flan, and red cabbage, and chips, just sounded like a mess to me, though I'm sure it was entirely competently described.
catllar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by catllar »

OK, to be honest, the presentation was delightful, no bleeding pools of gloopy colours, but on re-reading it does sound a bit OTT! The "chips" by the way were 3 rounds of potato slices, not a great pile of fries!
Life is not a rehearsal