Valmy Restaurant recommendations?

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Valmy Restaurant recommendations?

Post by Smiley G »

The restaurant opened this Spring in the grounds of Chateau Valmy. Has anyone ate there and if so, can they recommend it?
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

A friend of mine ate there recently and is going to do me a little review for the next POL. She said it was excellent, and she really enjoyed it.
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Valmy restaurant

Post by tubs »

Friends went last night. Will post when I get their opinions of it.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

La Table de Valmy

Post by Allan »

We went there for lunch today and loved it.

This is a stylish restaurant with a lovely terrace that has spectacular views over the vines and the sea.

The service was excellent and the place had a real buzz about it. Chateau Valmy is clearly using the restaurant as a showcase for their wines and they offer a 4 course menu with a different wine served with each course at €45 or without wine at €35 - in both cases coffee and water are included.

The wine list obviously features their wines but they are very reasonably priced and if you buy a case of 6 to take away they you get a free bottle to drink while you are there.

The food was very good, but not spectacular, but the place should be taken as a complete package, the location, the view, the wine, the food and the general ambiance - overall we though it was terrific.

The menu and prices can be found here http://www.chateau-valmy.com/media/uplo ... 0Valmy.pdf. Like a lot of restaurants these days they don't offer a lot of choice and their was no evidence of a dish of the day. This always frustrates me as if I like a restaurant then it is nice to go back and try other dishes.

They have a children's menu at €15 which is not published.

At the moment it is open all week but in October will be switching to weekends only and then they will close in January and February.

We will certainly go back although the limited choice on the menu means we will probably end up eating the same as we did this time.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Remind me again why I moved back to England!
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Chateau Valmy restaurant

Post by tubs »

Our friends said the same as above. They loved it. Agreed not much choice but what they had, they said was delicious and good value for €35. They said they could buy a bottle of wine for €7 or €10 (amongst others) The ambiance was very good apparently and the service too. All in all they were very happy, would recommend and go again.
hamyat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Restaurant at Valmy

Post by hamyat »

We have just tried the new restaurant at Valmy and whether our expectations were too high I'm not sure, but we found the food disappointingly average.
The view was spectacular and the wines pleasant but the food lacked flavour and flair. The service was polite and pleasant and well timed. The terrace was noisy due to large groups having tapas and wine and there were lots of children running up and down between the tables. It may be better out of season but it certainly won't be going on my list of good local eateries.
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tubs »

Suggest trying La Bartavalle next in Argeles village. No view but food exquisite, good local wines and local soft drinks too, great service, excellent value for money.
hamyat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Restaurant at Valmy

Post by hamyat »

We have been to La Bartavelle and totally agree that the food is superb and clearly prepared and served by a couple who are passionate about their ingredients; everything on the plate is packed with intense flavour. It is definitely one of our favourites.