Looking for native English-speaking restaurant close to Perp

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

bryan8718
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking for native English-speaking restaurant close to Perp

Post by bryan8718 »

I'm looking for a native English-speaking restaurant, preferably serving English cuisine, but not essential, in the Perpignan area to take the members of my student association to.

Also interested in an activity in the afternoon to do with them as well, in English. These are university students. Would be grateful for any ideas and tips on restaurants. Thanks!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

There is an English owned restaurant in Elne Bryan, called the Carasol I think, or something similar. Someone might be able to give you more info - I know it's cara- something!
For activités, I have just been writing about the glass blowers of Elne and Palau. Fascinating to watch and some of them do their talk in English.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Laroque des Alberes bar/restaurant is called "Cafe des Artistes". The owners are Irish and English and the food varies. Often they have fish and chips on Fridays but in the summer months it might be missed.

There's a nice terrace outside too, which is nice for younger people. Price range is reasonable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The restaurant you mentioned Kate is looking for a chef right now. This is a long term position, from what I've heard. I've never eaten there but I know many who have and they said the food is great. It's called Carasol (sp?) and it's located at the top of the Elne village. The owner is Brit I think.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
bryan8718
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bryan8718 »

Thanks guys! I'll call the "Cara Sol" this weekend to see if they're up and running. As for the Café des Artistes, I'd looked at them already. The problem is it's quite far from Perpignan. Even Elne is pushing it, but doable. I was really hoping for something in the immediate Perpignan area (seeing as we will either have to carpool or rent a bus, and we are a non-profit association, so very little money available). Thanks for your tips!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Bryan
How many people are involved in your project. Maybe we can think with the sizes of groups.

You can also think about train useage. I think that the train lets you travel for one euro for the one-way trip. It gives you a way to visit the beach area too. Collioure would be wonderful for a visit with a group. Argeles is within too, with the 1 euro ticket.

Tell us more about your group and we can find other ideas, maybe.

The bus system in Perpignan region has a 1 euro ticket too.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
bryan8718
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bryan8718 »

Blackduff,
Fair enough, for some reason I hadn't thought about bus or train (maybe because, personally, I avoid them at all costs ^^). Looking at a group of about 30 university students. My association is for English learners, which is why I'm searching for an English-speaking establishment (specifically native speakers. I don't want a French person, even if their English is impeccable). I've been looking in the area around Trouillas, etc. because I was thinking of maybe reserving a visit and tasting at Domaine Treloar, as they're are native English speakers, and I've already worked with them on other projects. I will check out Elne this weekend, as that is close.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Bryan
Don't forget that the University has a good restaurant there. The price was pretty cheap, from what I remember. It's listed in the local newspaper but I'm not sure exactly.

If your group goes to the University, they might have some English speaking people there, who could sponsor you during the meal.

Thoughts??

Possibly the local winery might have some ideas, whether it's finding English food in this area and/or some visiting the winery itself. This would get the group interested, I'm sure.

Blackduff
bryan8718
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bryan8718 »

Not sure which restaurant you're talking about at the uni. If it's the "restoU", I wouldn't quite call it "good"... lol
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Hi, we found the Cara Sol the other day in Elne as we decided we should try somewhere new and came across it when wandering around the old part of the town...I might be wrong but it didn't come across as English to me at all. The waiter spoke good English and there were English people eating but the food was French cuisine. That said the food was exceptional and we will deifinatley go back there and would happily take guests there but I'm not sure it's what you are looking for?
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

bryan8718 wrote:Blackduff,
I've been looking in the area around Trouillas, etc. because I was thinking of maybe reserving a visit and tasting at Domaine Treloar, as they're are native English speakers, and I've already worked with them on other projects.
The Domaine Treloar was the winery I posted. I sent my post a few minutes after yours was sent.

Maybe Jonathan can sort out this idea.

Blackduff
bryan8718
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bryan8718 »

Phipplebert wrote:Hi, we found the Cara Sol the other day in Elne as we decided we should try somewhere new and came across it when wandering around the old part of the town...I might be wrong but it didn't come across as English to me at all. The waiter spoke good English and there were English people eating but the food was French cuisine. That said the food was exceptional and we will deifinatley go back there and would happily take guests there but I'm not sure it's what you are looking for?
Hey, thanks for your tip. I'll give him a call and see. I've thought about it a bit more. I would like to do a classic British Sunday roast for the group. This is the event to mark the end of the school year. Normally we do a picnic/BBQ, but it's so much work and ends up costing just as much. I'd much rather do something typically English cultural. Thought an English-only Sunday roast could be fun, and either before or after a tour of a vineyard in English (or other activity in English). I'm tired of pub quizzes ;)